XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first restricted performance. Yippee!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts
Default My first restricted performance. Yippee!

Ok, not really a cause for celebration.

02 XKR. Pulled the codes and have the following:

P0172 - rich condition
P0175 - rich condition
P0101 - Mass air flow A circuit range performance
P1111 - ECM internal error

Unrelated, by since last evening the transmission shifts are delaying to higher rpms, similar to what it would do in sport mode, but it isn't.

Suggestions welcome!

Old 07-15-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Definitely focus on the air flow meter. It's probably toast, but you can try and clean it. It is by the air box. 2 screws and a connector and it is out. There is air flow meter cleaner at the parts store (a spray). Folks ofter repeat that other similar sprays (carb cleaner, etc.) should not be used for this, so resist the urge to get something "already in the garage". This spray is known to improve mileage, etc, but I have yet to see this cleaning actually clear a code for more than a couple of trips.

The alternative is to search for a new sensor. The best is to locate the DENSO number, and search with that (eBay, Amazon, Rockauto, etc.). Expect $100. Do this research with care, there are LOTS of similar looking parts with lots of promises of compatibility, some insanely cheap. These parts all fit, but somehow the signal is not the same. On the flip side, the right part with the right DENSO number will likely be suitable for lots of other cars as well.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

Thanks for the reply. In the interim I just cleared the codes. I've put about a 100 miles on it since then with no further issues. I'm wise enough to know that it didn't magically fix itself, but I'm enjoying the momentary blessing!

Old 07-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mhminnich
I'm wise enough to know that it didn't magically fix itself, but I'm enjoying the momentary blessing!
Wrong!

Magic DOES play an important role in the behaviour of this wonderful, sensitive, hypochondriac car. I hold that there are many occasions when those glitches that so magically appear also magically disappear. A quick turn off of the ignition, a code reader clear, and - abracadabra! - all is well once more.

Until the next time.

The following users liked this post:
zray (08-26-2018)