XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Search for an XK8 Continues..... A Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
Default My Search for an XK8 Continues..... A Question

I have come close to pulling the trigger twice. The first time, I experienced the "Green Shower" first hand during the final test drive. The second time was a very low mileage car with great pictures that felt like it had 100,000 miles when inspected in person. So the hunt continues....

I do have one question. I have read a lot about the common things to look for when buying an XK8. One thing I haven't read that much about but have experienced in my test drives is instability in the front end. Every car I've driven has had this rumbling/jittering in what feels like the front end. What could be causing this? Is there something I should specifically be looking for or asking about?

I currently drive a 2012 XF and have previously owned a 2004 X-Type. One of the things I have always loved about my Jags is their smoothness.

Thanks,

Ken

Old 08-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Convertibles are FLEXIBLE compared to Coupes and Sedans.
I remember my 1966 'E'Type (FHC) coupe cornered like it was on rails but my buddies (OTS) roadster just felt 'loose'.

Put the top down and open both doors and see that the car is shaped like a 'U' from the side.
There should be X braces fore and aft to help. Lots of steel in the sills but a coupe is going to be stiffer.

Might be some suspension parts worn also??

bob

Old 08-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

With production of this model ending in May 2005, every one of them that has not had the usual suspension bits replaced by now will feel somewhat squirrelly / squishy / loose. They need new upper shock mounts, new lower shock bushings, and new anti-sway bar links at a minimum. Some can benefit from new shocks and springs. Read up on the XK8 suspension threads and you will better understand the suspension rebuilds required for these cars. Even the lower-mileage cars need new suspension bits because the passage of time has nearly as much effect as miles driven does....

Old 08-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Don't forget to read up on the bad upper strut mounts which can cause lots of issues if they let go completely as well. If you aren't handy expect to pay about $1000 to "renew" your front end (not including struts or springs).

Old 08-08-2017, 01:21 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I bought my second XK8- 2003 coupé, a month ago, the last one a 1997 six or seven years back.
Drove it for 2-3 weeks thinking the loose feeling front end was caused by worn tyres.
When getting new tyres fitted the fitter shouted me over, the N/S front bearing was clunking badly when pulled 12-6 o'clock.
Bought a used hub off eBay, fitted it at weekend, during which it was obvious the upper wishbone ball joint was goosed, parts on order.
But just renewing the bearing has tightened up the front a fair bit already.

So go get one before summer is finished an XK8 is the best looking car in nearly any parking lot. If you are good with spanners they aint too expensive too keep running.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

When we were looking, we drove convertibles from '00 - '04. We were partial to the pre-03s for several reasons, but that impression was reinforced by the fact that all the 03-04s we tested had exactly that loosey-goosey feeling in the front end. (As we drove across a railroad track in one '04, I almost stopped because it felt as if the wheels were about to come off.)

I assumed the older ones had already had all the work done that the newer ones now needed. But now I am wondering if any of those "500 improvements" made in '03 may have made the front suspension less durable...?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I would guess that it's the A arm bushings that are worn out. These are rubber and have to be in good shape to give the tight, secure steering that you desire. Ditto on all the other suspension parts. Older cars will need a front suspension rebuild to freshen them up. My XJ6 and XJS are in the same boat.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking to refresh the front shocks rear shocks ,bushings sway bar links and what else we might need once we get under the car and start working. It is a 1998 XK8 and has had other extensive mechanical work done.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

THIS close to selling my 98 XK8 because of a change in my personal circumstances...
All the kinks are out, needs nothing but regular maintenance..
58K miles
Just did brakes and rotors <100 mile ago.

I'm in Staten Island if interested.