XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My XK8 Doesn't Want to Leave

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default My XK8 Doesn't Want to Leave

I've had my eye out for a blue or green (or maybe the not Salsa red) 05 or 06 XKR for the last year or so. Missed a really nice one-owner, low mileage 06 blue Portfolio about a year ago in Dallas. Anyway, I fell into an equally nice Jaguar Racing Green 05 a couple weeks ago and am prepping my Topaz 03 XK8 for the market. This car has been my daily driver for over 8 years and has only failed to get me to and from work once. I've had some of the usual issues, but they've never been show stoppers.
So, I've been cleaning it up and doing the things many of us do when it's time to sell something - That is, fix all the little stuff we've been living with, right?

I've replaced the switch on the trunk since it didn't work. Yes, you guessed it - It was a broken wire, not the trunk switch.
I tightened that upper A arm bolt that made the suspension squeaky.
I replaced the Sport Mode switch since it wouldn't stay in non Sport Mode.
I reseated the connector on the passive restraint module to clear an intermittent fault message.
I replaced the long-dead lamps that illuminate the temperature display.
I tightened a hose clamp to fix a slow coolant leak to the throttle body. BAD MOVE. I finished breaking a fitting that had been cracked for a long time. Part on order.
Never before have I had a RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE message. The car knows that now is the time. I'm slow to comply and it's taken three resets and subsequent message postings to convince me that the car isn't kidding.
Manifold off and a new LH knock sensor is on the way.
Since I'm there, I am replacing the heater hoses. I might be selling a used car, but I have my scruples!
Anyway, this car will be ready to hit the market by the end of the week. It is with mixed feelings that I prepare to send it off into the world. It's been a joy to drive and has provided many years of reliable service. I hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I have.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
GGG (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratohammer
So, I've been cleaning it up and doing the things many of us do when it's time to sell something - That is, fix all the little stuff we've been living with, right?
Hahaha. Guilty as charged.

Good luck on the sale and congrats on the new cat. Hopefully it will go to someone who will appreciate it and keep it on the road.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratohammer
.... I might be selling a used car, but I have my scruples!
Give me a Jaguar with a full service history and a PO with scruples every time!

Good luck with the sale and enjoy your new 05. I hope it's as reliable as the 03 has been.

Graham