XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default navigation?

How many of you have the factory installed navigation system, and how do you like it?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I quess if it was useful then I WOULD LIKE IT... However as I stated in another post, In Florida we had such a housing boom since the LAST UPDATED DISC was MADE,,, that none of the new roads or developements are on it.... So in MY EYES it is WORTHLESS,,, Right????

I mean Ray Charles would have a better IDEA where he is then me using my NAV UNIT,,, and he's Blind and Dead...

This is what I did today...

I made the Loop from Alpine to Navteq to Jag
And what I have to say IS DISAPPOINTING...

So not much was happening in the Market,,,

So I decide to call Alpine Tech Support... They said that they do not support ANY TYPE OF UPDATE at ALL... Try NAVTEQ So I did...

NAVTEQ after asking for all my info so they could advise me of Future Updates,,, Said that they do not support ANY TYPE OF UPDATE at ALL... Try JAGUAR,,, So I did and quess WHAT...(no need to keep me on the list then for UPDATES)

They SUPPORT EVERY MODEL,,,, EXCEPT XKR's model year 2000 - 2006... I ask the lovely lady on the other end of the phone if she knew how I could get an update,,, She said that she is speaking on Behalf of Jaguar Corporate and there is nothing available and never will be... Not enough cars to warrant the expense... So I said that Jaguar sells a Vehicle for $90,000 to over a $100,000 and you do not support it??? I told her that Florida experienced a huge housing boom and the new developements are not availble to me making the NAV UNIT WORTHLESS... She said she understands my Frustration,,,

I asked her to ask Mr. Tata to address this for us...LOL

And no I do not need a Nav Unit... But my car has one and I would like it to be usefull... It messes with my OCD

Hope this helps with the questions out there...

Don't get me wrong the CLOCK is GREAT,,, I mean who wants to pull their hand off the wheel at a 130 MPH to check their watch when you can just GLANCE DOWN at the clock on the dash,,, Right??? Wander if the Nav Unit works at that speed... Should of Checked....

The GPS on my Iphone could not keep up,,, The green arrow kept going but the map could not update fast enough....

Would be nice to know where your going,,, I did use it on the drive to the Carolinas and it would try to keep me on the longer route,,, I think that they are designed to keep you on the larger State Roads and Highways... However 421,,, 321,,, and parts of 221 in Carolina are Now 4 lanes wide and quicker,,, and the unit would not recognize that as a safe and quicker route for some reason,,, Mostly because the road work was completed after the disc was made I would assume...

So the answer would have to be NO,,, It is useless

Kinda like T*TS on a Bull... Ain't worth the Hassle...

Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I like the factory nav system, but only because I removed the factory system and installed a Garmin 1490t in the hole. If I'd had the three gauges I'd have to stick my GPS to the windshield.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2003 XKR and would love to be able to update my Nav. system. The road that I live on has been here for almost 200 yrs. It's only .8 miles off of the state highway,and a major rural route. But the closest that I can get to it using the factory system is 3 miles away! Wouldn't be very useful if I actually had to find my way home. Makes me wonder what it's going to be like trying to find someplace,where I don't know where I'm going.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Geez. It's not like this is some brand new technology that everyone else isn't keeping up with. I'd love to have it when I drive up through the desert and mountains and feel like trying new roads, but it doesn't sound like it's much of a real help. I may get a Garmin or something similar to explore some interesting looking highways up in Utah if it would really show me the roads as they exist. But i'm like Sam...don't like to stick stuff on the dash or windshield.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts
Default Alternatives (and a little product promotion)

These are the alternatives I can think of to handle the nav. problem:

-Replace the screen with an up to date portable GPS...you can find instructions on this forum. You can get quite good, but not perfect fit of some models in the wood cutout. Some people hae replaced the side button openings with small speaker grills.

-Tap the video for the existing screen and use a Garmin GVN-53 video nav. unit. See instructions in my signature. www.thejagwrangler.com also make a plug and play cable for the video now...contact me for details if you are interested.

-Convert to 3-gauges. www.thejagwrangler.com sells a conversion cable for 89.95.

-Mount a portable GPS on a Kuda Jaguar XK mount and hide the power cord in the mount. This can be combined with the 3-gauge conversion.

-Add a new headunit that offers navigation.

-Add a custom carputer (There are a couple of threads on this, but it is the most challenging approach, albeit potentially the most rewarding one)

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-30-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Whitey;

I will take one of each please when you come over here this summer.

Actually that could be great for you because a new Poster SteveinFrance and I are going to organize a rally in the Bordeaux region this summer for all the XK's we can get from France and the surrounding area.

Will work on that in the New Year.

In the mean time happy holidays to everyone.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
How many of you have the factory installed navigation system, and how do you like it?
I use the factory navigation system, especially on interstate trips, and find it to be not too bad. The most current maps date from 2003 and therefore will not show roads that were built after that time. Also, because the factory system is DVD based, it's slower than the current system where the maps are contained in a custom ROM. This also limits the detail of the maps because everything has to fit on a single DVD. Therefore, only major roads are shown.

However, because I travel extensively and rely on my GPS, I need an accurate and up to date system. Therefore, next month I'm installing the Garman GVN-53 system that WhiteXKR mentioned.

Mark

Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Like just about everyone else I despaired of the Jaguar satnav, so have replaced it with an in-built touchscreen/bluetooth system. This is not integrated with the Jaguar system.

I removed my original unit and fitted a 5" touchscreen Tomtom, which fits just perfectly behind the veneer. I removed the right hand buttons and installed a 4-amp speaker, below which is the microphone from the Tomtom and a button to re-set the clock. To the left hand of the scree, the top button turns the system on and off, below that is a USB output, and below that a button to switch the Satnav from internal power to USB connectivity (so that I can update to a laptop). The bottom button has been turned into a volume control. To do all this I had to open up the Tomtom, which of course invalidated the guarantee immediately, but taking microphone, speaker and on/off wires was actually very easy.

Total cost should have been about £270 (real UK money!) but it actually cost me about £450, since I (ahem) somewhat buggered up the first Tomtom.

In the space to the left of the unit I have fitted a 2" clock, and to the right of the unit I have fitted a 2" voltmeter. Since fitting them I have had matching 2" aluminium rings made and will be replacing those instruments with originals from the 3-clock system (they'll look ok, because they are set back and do not suffer by being behind a smaller ring than original). Since the sound quality is not great I am putting in a small amplifier and bass/treble control, and I'm thinking about installing a swan-neck microphone to improve the telephone.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whilst I dont have factory fitted navigation, for my two penneth, this spoils the look of the dash. I much prefer the 3 dials of the older version models, but then I would wouldn't I with a 96 model

Old 01-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Diddion, any photos?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi, Malbec. Here are a couple of photos, as requested. When I've re-done the instruments with the originals I'll post a new thread.
The speaker grill will be re-painted before the job is complete, as well as new instrument rings.

Name:  P1000547.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  P1000553.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  59.8 KB

Last edited by Diddion; 01-04-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey guys,

If it is any consolation, I have the 08 XK with the 2010 maps. Even my navagation system is completely lame compared to any decent Garmin. The Jaguar's Nav does not know as many streets and does not spit out the names of most of the streets it does know. The interface is unnessarily complicated, I have to break out the navigation owner's manual anytime I want to use it, the graphics are kindergarden compared to the Garmin, and it takes three times as many taps on the screen to get anywhere you want to go.

I will never understand why a $200.00 OTC unit runs rings around the Nav built into a $90,000.00 car...