XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need expert help with reach motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default need expert help with reach motor

Followed info from forum on how to replace flexible shaft in reach motor. I think I need to loosen and slide collar connecting upper steering column to universal joint. This will allow me to lower rear of steering column off 2 studs. Doing this will now let me slide column studs towards rear of car. The steering column will now lower for better access to reach motor. Question: after loosening collar will I be able to slide it off splined end of steering column? Please help!!! Jack

Old 01-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I have been patiently waiting for a couple years for someone to clearly document how to replace the cable in the reach motor. I gave up when I couldn't get to the bolts securing the shaft to the lower dash support.

Sure would appreciate you doing that as you work through this issue.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Default reach motor

I've found a lot of quick answers on how to fix reach motor. Many i believe were from members who didn't actually try the fix but looked at pictures. You can remove the seat, get under the dash on your back and feel the reach motor on the top of the column. You might be able to pry the motor off the column but aligning the motor, flexible shaft and gear to make column reach is almost impossible. Lowering the whole steering column gives you much better access. There are two acorn nuts (13mm) that fasten the 2 studs to the front of the dash. A ratcheting box wrench is the tool. There are a couple of electrical connectors you can slide off the column for more room. Back by the firewall end of column there are 2 studs coming down from the back of dash. A 13mm deeper socket removes these acorn nuts. This part of the column needs to drop so you can move the column back towards rear of car so front studs are clear to drop. My problem is this area can't flex enough to clear studs. There a joint a little farther back towards the firewall. It looks like there is a collar holding the joint together. Can I slide collar to clear joint or will I break something if I force it? Jack

Old 01-22-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Jack I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll never forget that when I installed the Jag wrangler temp guage his clear instructions had me pull the speedo Guage cluster. At that point I saw best access to the reach motor that id ever seen. Made a mental note.

It would only take 15 minutes to pull it . Might be best access for you.

Instructions are on the Jag wrangler Web site.

John

Old 01-23-2017, 06:26 AM

Thanks John, I tried access with guage cluster removed. No help. Jaguar sure put a lot of stuff in a little space. Hope you've had a better luck with your XK8. I've changed almost every plastic part in the car. Jack