Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in need of help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default in need of help

Hi All

just had my first drive in my 1999 XK8 convertable, got bach to the house to wisk my wife off for the weekend, drama starts.
Turned off ignition, shut door, pressed clicker no peep, opened door found the red lights on the temprature and voltage gauges flashing along with the light on the gear selector.
the car wont start, nothing is working, called the CAA, they arrived asked to get into the boot/trunk, no can do the clicker or the panell switch won't work, try the key, that wont work ( conclusion, the door and ignition locks have been changed at some stage but the glove box and boot left as is.)
Any ideas to help out would be appreciated.

Plastic Paddy

Old 09-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

My first guess is battery.
These cars develop a "demonic behavior" when the battery is weak or low.
Start with a new battery or at least load test the current one as a starting point

The following users liked this post:
Plastic Paddy (09-17-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Because you never used the key in the boot lid latch I would guess the lock segments inside are stuck/corroded. (use it or lose it)

I would get some spray penetrating oil and work the lock until it loosens up.
I use my key at least once a month to ensure that when I NEED to get in the boot, I CAN.

Search the forum for MY KEY WON'T UNLOCK THE TRUNK and read the hundreds of posts and solutions to the problem.

bob

Old 09-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

^good idea on the trunk lock... I'll do that today..

Old 09-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
try the key, that wont work ( conclusion, the door and ignition locks have been changed at some stage but the glove box and boot left as is.)
If all you have is a VALET KEY (green key) then you need to get a BLACK master key or grind the tip to get it to function in the boot lid and glove cubby.

The locks were likely not changed, just that they are the ones that the VALET key will NOT open.

bob

Old 09-17-2016, 04:39 PM

Thanks all for your quick responses, I have tried the black key along with wd40, no go.
Along come my neighbor, there must be somewhere under the hood to give it a boost says he, in the meantime I head indoors to ask you guys for advice, when I get outside the neighbour has a booster hooked up we turn the ignition key and press the trunk release button, BINGO up props the trunk lid.
Next we try to start the engine, no luck, I head back inside to call the CAA again, when I look out of the window the neighbour is driving it down the street.
The opinion seems to e the alternator, the weekend out of town will have to wait, I have had enough excitement for now.
Once again thanks to all.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:53 PM
Default Battery age?

Hi All

Does any one out there know how to figure out the age of a battery by the numbers/codes?
I am in the middle of trying to diagnose an issue and this would make a start.

Thanks.