XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED help with rear view camera choice

Old 06-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default NEED help with rear view camera choice

I work in an area where street parking is the norm. The parking spaces are on an angle making it very dangerous to back out of the space into the lane. I drive the 2003 XKR convertible with the giant blind spot. As Murphy follows me around, seems that big *** vehicles love to snuggle up to the Jag making all view obscured before backing out. A periscope would work but I'd like something as sleek as my cat. Anyone with experience here? I have the factory navigation system to hook into. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Camera itself is easy-- boyo. I have them all multiple cars. The Ferrari has it in a license plate frame and the XKR has it by the plinth. Unnoticeable and works well.

As for using the existing NAV display. Yeah, I think they no longer make the part. You can contact JagWrangler as he used to sell one but he can't get the parts anymore.

I replaced my headunit with one that supports camera. Lots of options once you go that route.

Attached Thumbnails NEED help with rear view camera choice-img_4817.jpg  

Last edited by dsd; 06-19-2017 at 08:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Charbinjr (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the input. Have you had any experience with the folks making NavTools? They make many conversion circuits but their website is a bit confusing. Don't have a lot of confidence after studying their stuff.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:33 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Charbinjr
Thanks for the input. Have you had any experience with the folks making NavTools? They make many conversion circuits but their website is a bit confusing. Don't have a lot of confidence after studying their stuff.
Do a search here. Looks good in paper but we have not seen a legitimate satisfied NAVTools customer (scam?).

However, NAV TV is legit. My installer uses them. Their RGB2+ should work but is pricey at $350:
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT038/rgb2.html

Do a few searches here, people have come up with very clever solutions. In particular, is a great center vent mod.

The following 2 users liked this post by dsd:
Charbinjr (06-19-2017), Orthodixie (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 PM

I think I'll first try a cheap solution from Amazon just to see if I can get an image to display on the navigation screen then go from there.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:04 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

I think I'll first try a cheap solution from Amazon just to see if I can get an image to display on the navigation screen then go from there.
Best of luck, I'm not aware of any cheap solutions to convert the signal from rca to the nav screen (rgb ainet?).

Old 06-20-2017, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

On mine I have replaced the original sat nav with a Garmin unit with a hard wired input for a reversing camera. I fitted the reversing cam to the boot plinth and ran the cables back through the car up to the Garmin. This is all pretty straightforward stuff.

So now I have a touch screen up to date sat nav with reversing camera for very little money.

Diddion (07-06-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
Best of luck, I'm not aware of any cheap solutions to convert the signal from rca to the nav screen (rgb ainet?).
Contact me. I have done dozens of of these video adapters. I can tell you if what you plan to do will work.

Also, as of today, I can get the new old-stock parts to do ONE plug-and-play video conversion.

Orthodixie (07-05-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 07:13 PM

Thanks Steve. Sent a PM and email copy to you.
This is the camera I ordered and hopefully make functional.
TOPTIERPRO HD Car Rear View Camera License Plate Mount -TTP-C13B- Best Backup Camera For Truck/Cars - Night Vision/Waterproof Reverse Camera - Easy To Install
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 PM

BTW, thanks for the quick delivery of the convertible top remote kit. I haven't yet had time to tackle it yet but will probably plan a marathon install along with the video conversion of you can get one for me. Thanks alot!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:37 PM

Steve, check your Comcast email for PayPal payment.
Also, your forum message account is full.

Last edited by Charbinjr; 06-20-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Received 95 Likes on 38 Posts
Default NavTool 3.0 Installation

I recently installed NavTool 3.0 in my 2005 XKR coupe. I have an Apple lightning cable coming through the change holder in front of the gear shift. When I connect my iPhone 6 Plus, whatever's on the screen is mirrored on the car's navigation screen: Apple Maps, Google Maps, Phone, Messages, Apple Music (iTunes). In addition, whenever the car is in reverse, the video automatically switches to a Pyle rear-view camera that I have mounted at the top of the license plate.

Finally, I have a PLX Devices Kiwi 2 WiFi OBD-II unit with iMFD Adapter that lets me use the DashCommand app to monitor (on the navigation screen) battery voltage, coolant temp, oil pressure, and supercharger boost using a dashboard I created on the DashXL website.

The phone charges while it's plugged in; I can listen to anything in Apple Music (my iTunes library) through the Alpine premium sound system. NavTool's installation instructions assume you have a Denso nav system; since mine was an Alpine, I had to figure out the connections for myself. I'm hoping to post a detailed "how-to" in the near future.

Attached Thumbnails NEED help with rear view camera choice-_dsc7917_openwith.jpg   NEED help with rear view camera choice-_dsc7918_openwith.jpg   NEED help with rear view camera choice-_dsc7923_openwith.jpg   NEED help with rear view camera choice-_dsc7932_openwith.jpg   NEED help with rear view camera choice-_dsc7941_openwith.jpg  

NEED help with rear view camera choice-_dsc7949_openwith.jpg  
Orthodixie (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

My '04 has the original Nav system. What can you suggest?

Old 07-06-2017, 12:01 AM
Received 95 Likes on 38 Posts

My ‘05 had the original DVD-based NavTool system, too. (Made by Alpine.) NavTool is spliced in between the navigation “head unit” in the trunk and the dashboard video screen. It supersedes the functionality of the old DVD-based unit. To get audio (music & voice navigation) through your existing entertainment system, you also need an adapter called “AUX-JAG” sold by discountcarstereo.com. It goes between the trunk CD changer & the power amp, and accepts the “audio out” signal from NavTool. You can control volume on the steering wheel or using the control on the stereo head unit. Music selections are made via smartphone.

Orthodixie (07-06-2017)
Old 12-24-2023, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you help me with the install the Navtool in my 2008 XJ8 L? Got the rear camera installed and working and got the nav hooked back up...but I can't get the phone or the 6disc cd player to work. Can you help?

Thanks,
Carl