Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to replace Windshield 03

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Need to replace Windshield 03

Have two spreading cracks so am looking at replacing the windsheild. Been looking at best place to order one as the local shops on Maui are way high on the part price. For my VIN #A34644 I only see 2 options available, heated or non heated. How do I tell if I have a heated windsheild?

Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Not sure on the answer to your question, but I can tell you this...be absolutely sure you have the correct rubber seal part in hand before you start the job.

There is a national back-order presently (July 2014) on the windscreen seals for our XK8s and Rs, with very little info available from Jag's vendor. Dealers all over the US are hunting them...I've been without a windshield for two months!

The following users liked this post:
Jandreu (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

If you have a heated windscreen, you should be able to see the very fine wires in the glass. You will also have a switch in the console above the radio between the demister switch and the heated rear window switch. It looks very much like the rear window switch but with an F on it rather than an R.

Jandreu (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

I have no fine wires in the windsheild and no extra switch marked for the front so fairly certain I have no heated windsheild.

So, other than a new gasket is there anything else I should try to source. I do plan to have a glass shop do the actual work.

RockAuto actualy lists the windsheild for $275 with another $275 for shipping. Still several hundred cheaper than local glass shops are quoting.

Last edited by Jandreu; 07-23-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Do you guys ever get a frost? I have seen pics of snow at one of the observatories.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Jandreu,
Do you guys have Safelite franchises on the islands?
Last year they replaced my windshield for $250.00 installed.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Do you guys ever get a frost? I have seen pics of snow at one of the observatories.
Yes, when going up in elevation it gets cold, the Big Island Mana kea at 14K feet gets snow a lot, Maui, where I live get a little snow on Haleakala at 10K maybe one time a year, I've seen snow down to 8K feet on Maui during a bad winter storm. Temperature depends on elevation, I'm at 2K feet and mid-winter at night it might drop to the low 50 F so at my elevation no real cold weather or frost. Average temps where I live are Winter 50 to 80, Summer 65 to 90. At sea level Winter 65 to 85 and Summer 75 to 95.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Safelite is only on Oahu and I'm on Maui so I'm out of luck. Two very good shops on Maui but both are expensive.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As written by the coupe.
Not sure on the answer to your question, but I can tell you this...be absolutely sure you have the correct rubber seal part in hand before you start the job.

There is a national back-order presently (July 2014) on the windscreen seals for our XK8s and Rs, with very little info available from Jag's vendor. Dealers all over the US are hunting them...I've been without a windshield for two months!
Coupe I don;t know of any reason you are waiting for a seal. If your seal is in good shape you can use it over. If your waiting for one you can still install a windshield and put a new seal in later.

This seal it just sits on top of the windshield and under the cowl plenum. These windshields are glued in with a urethane sealant. The reveal molding has a seal on them but they are not sold separately.They are very expensive and if you don't know what your doing it's easy to destroy them. installers have a tendency to over apply the sealant. The reveal molding is held in place by plastic clips and if the sealant get on them it almost makes it impossible to remove.you'll have to give them the vin number when you order the windshield. Good Luck.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe

I've got this issue at the moment. My windshield is still in the car and it's driveable, but a local (and highly recommended) windshield company are working to replace the windshield which has cracked (insurance co is paying)

The white plastic clips are cracking as they are being removed, and need to be replaced. Luckily the windshield guy realized this, and didn't go any further, or my car would be off the road as well.

In addition, the rubber edging around the windscreen is cracking/cracked. This appears to be under a grey metallic painted strip. The windshield company tells me that the part they can't get is
GJA8851ABD (shown in the attachment from JPEC). The diagram isn't very clear - is the seal included with this part (the LH finisher?). They've also told me that all the required clips are included with this part (and the equivalent RH finisher) - looking at the diagram, I don't believe this is true. I'd like to let them know this is the case, but can't tell from the picture which are the white clips they need to order.

Thanks in advance!

-Steve

Attached Thumbnails Need to replace Windshield 03-windshield.gif  
Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

When Safelite replaced mine, they brought new replacement clips with them. What is not replaceable is the grey moulding strip around the windshield. But replacment clips are available.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
When Safelite replaced mine, they brought new replacement clips with them. What is not replaceable is the grey moulding strip around the windshield. But replacment clips are available.
Thanks. Are the clips they replaced the white plastic ones? (they looked about 5" long while they had the trim piece off.

The hard grey plastic strip around the windshield is ok, but the rubber seal that is under it (and I think supplied with it) is cracking on the inside edge where lays against the glass, with pieces missing from the edge - they are having problems getting hold of this (LH side - apparently they have the RH side). They say the clips are included with this part, but I'm concerned they are looking at the wrong clips (when the guy arrived with the factory windshield he didn't have any clips).

-Steve

Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

When Safelite arrived late six hours on the first day, the technician arrived without any clips, and he attempted to call another installer who supposedly had them. The second installer couldn't be reached and they rescheduled for the next day. They showed up, both the first installer and the one he had tried to reach, and as I recall they brought long white clips with them. The extraction of the old windshield was difficult as some of the adhesive had leaked through the rubber gasket and had attached the grey trim piece. They had to saw through the adhesive with a wire to separate the windshield.

After it was done, it was such a pleasure to have an unpitted windshield. But, that only lasted 2 days as a rock bounced up and chipped it right in front pf the steering wheel. I had it resin filled by Safelite, but I still see it everyday.

Bob OB (08-13-2014)