XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never seen a red color XK

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never seen a red color XK

Most XK that I have seen are white, grey, blacks and green. I've never seen a bright red XK?

Is a bright red XK a no no and just too loud on a XK?

Look at Porsche, traditionally they are silver but any color Porsche looks hot. Of course all Ferrari must be red.

Is a bright red XK just too much for an XK owner to live, re are owners too conservative?

Any thoughts?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Red cars generaly are not that popular. Their resale value is typically not as strong as other mainstream colors. XK's were made in a bright red but the volume is low due to the manufacturer's anticipated low demand for this color. Even Ferrari's production of red cars over the last 15 years has been less than 20% of total output.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

We have one red convertible that comes in the shop now and again for service. I don't really care for the red color Jaguar choose. It's too orange-ish. It's even a little brighter and more orangey than the color GM went with on their pick ups. Blah. I would love a deep, bold red. The maroon XK's look spectacular! Of course, I went to Texas A&M, so I'm somewhat biased.

The following users liked this post:
Sentinelist (04-01-2013)
Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Take a look....a red XKR. The color is called Salsa. I owned a BRG XK8 before buying this R. I think the color gives the car a totally different look which I like...obviously.

Be interested to hear what others think.

Jon

Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Until you own a fire-engine/ferrari/salsa red car, you'll never know what it really feels like. My first red car (the red jeep below) had me worried when I took ownership from the dealer lot, but when clean, the red just looks HOT! and I never regretted it. I've considered the salsa in an XK, but I'd want the dove, not the tan color interior. That's the only thing that turns me off about the color combo.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I love the look of an E-Type convertible in red. The red really shows the curves of a classic Jag. I thought that there would be more Salsa red XK around as the XK has alot of styling ques from the E-Type.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts
Default XKE like this?

Unfortunately, while a valid Jaguar color, it is wrong for this year. Big demerits in the concour.

Never seen a red color XK-8.jpg

Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Not a Jag but my other love (4 sale)--red enough for you?

Name:  DSCF6858.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  85.1 KB

Old 06-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Veteran member

Doug, that vette has been for sale forever. I don't see a sign on it, nor is it parked on the corner, is it? Me thinks you're not dying to part with it just yet.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

H2OBoy--My timing left much to be desired. I put it up for sale the week I bought the Jag last August. That's right about when the economy was starting to dive. Six months earlier I had 2 people begging me to buy the car--my best friend was one and my Corvette mechanic was the other. It is difficult enough to sell a car that is basically a fun "toy" but nigh on impossible in economic times like these--unless I wanted to essentially give it away (which my wife would love).

Doug

Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Veteran member

That was my other theory, though I didn't want to profess it and jinx the sale any further. Times will improve and there will be interested buyers soon... I hope. My business would sure appreciate that.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by govatos
Take a look....a red XKR. The color is called Salsa. I owned a BRG XK8 before buying this R. I think the color gives the car a totally different look which I like...obviously.

Be interested to hear what others think.

Jon
My 1988 Corvette is a bright red and looks more orange in pictures as your XKR does. I call it "Arrest Me Red" because cops love to pull me over. I guess the reason is they want to look at my instrument panel, that looks like an arcade game with numbers and graphs jumping around. I can't speed in the Vette because it sticks out too much even in heavy traffic. Yellow is another 'stand out color'.

My XK8 is BRG. IMO I like Red but will never buy another red car/truck.

Last edited by GreenJewel; 07-01-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Seismic Guy, how do you compare and contrast the two vehicles?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member

Kevin--there is really no comparison. If it were totally up to me, I really had no intentions of ever getting rid of the Corvette. After 13 years of my wife's b****ing about the Corvette, I finally agreed to get rid of it if I found something that really excited me. So when I found how reasonably priced the used XK8/XKR were I was thrilled since the first car I fell in love with as a kid was the XK-E. So, much to my wife's chagrin I started the hunt for the Jaguar, looking forward to getting one and selling the Corvette. I had assumed the Corvette would sell fairly quickly.

Since I have had both cars, I find that I tend to love the one I am driving. When I am in the Corvette, it feels great and ditto when I am in the Jaguar. For pure visceral "bad boy" fun, there is nothing like the Corvette. Even though it is a measly 300hp (or a bit more) it would leave the XKR in the dust off the line (due to lighter weight and quicker engine response) and is just so much more fun. On the other hand, when I am in the Jaguar, I feel like the successful sophisticate and it feels even better with the top down. Plus the Jaguar is more suitable to my age (60 this year).

I would really like to keep both cars and, if I had a 3 car garage, I would be digging in to do so. However, it really has been a pain juggling cars around and the Corvette has been delegated to being outside. Besides, at 14 years old it is getting to the age where it really needs a few cosmetic things addressed and I just don't have the time to fiddle on my own.

So the short answer is that you really cannot compare the 2 cars.

Doug

Old 07-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Hey doug, real quickly, w/o going off topic for too long, wife finally come around and express her love of the XKR?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

H20Boy--When it comes to cars, the best I can generally get my wife to do is to "accept" my nuttiness. The only car I have owned that she loved was the 1986 BMW 325 we had for about 9 years. Even then, she is loathe to keep cars that long since she prefers to have only 1 car payment at any one time. So if she gets a new car with 4 years of payments, she prefers that at the fifth year I get a car, etc. I screwed up the "system" by keeping the Corvette as long as I have, but on the other hand, we had many years of NO car payments.

Getting back to the XKR, she still would have preferred my getting a more practical new car but at least she does not dislike the Jaguar. The other night we were coming back from a family get-together and it was perfect southern California balmy evening top-down weather. She seemed to enjoy that.

Doug

Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

i sense she is still holding back. If it ever comes up, mention trading it in on a more practical car like an Ultima or one of those fancy hybrid camrys. I'd be interested in her initial reaction...will reveal her true feelings.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

You don't know my wife. But then again I believe that most women are not really car-crazy to the extent that most men are. She does like the better things (e.g., she would like to replace her 2000 Acura TL with something like a Lexus ES, and she really does love the looks of the Jaguar XF) but she also has a strong practical streak. So she would be more open to splurging on a 4 door sedan (practical for going out with couples) versus a 2-door that can only seat 2. My argument was that with our particular circumstances (just the 2 of us at home, we both work within 5 miles of the house) that is the perfect situation for one of our cars to be "impractical" and just fun. Oddly, she had no problem if I would have gotten a BWM 3-series or even a Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Vue. What she did have a problem with was me getting a USED car but having 2 years of warranty left helped my case.

Doug

Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any colour you like so long as it's red

Attached Thumbnails Never seen a red color XK-pic03220.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW the XJ is Signal Red - not sure about the X100

Quick Reply: Never seen a red color XK