Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts
Default New Battery

I finally got around to taking my car to Pep Boys for a new battery. I didn't have the receipt and I was expecting them to give me a hard time. The guy put the tester on it and it showed that the battery was good. I told him before that that even when I disconnect the battery cable it is still weak the following morning. He said "Would you like a new battery?" I said "sure", and five minute alter I had a new battery installed. They didn't charge me, and I didn't even have to fill out any paperwork or sign anything.

I'm not sure how other auto parts stores would have handled it, but Pep Boys is a winner in my book.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Sweet deal!

I recently took one to AutoZone that had 24 mo. free repl, 84 mo. pro-rated....and I was at 30 mo. Checked good...and had only gone down/failed once...but they offered to warranty it for the std. proration....took 'em up on it since I was launching it back out with precious daughter to university a good distance away...lol..they did balk when I offered to pay the $12 core charge and keep the batt, tho!

I had the receipt...but they told me all she'll need if the new one craps-out is the phone number I gave them, not the rec'pt.

Last edited by aholbro1; 12-05-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue, I purchased a Bosch battery from Pep Boys for my DeVille a year ago and misplaced the receipt. They were willing to exchange it since I was having issues, however I had to pay for installation since I didn't have them install it the 1st time. I didn't object, they wanted around $16 for labor. IT TOOK THEM OVER 4 HOURS TO DO IT. They waived the labor charge, but I'll never get those 4 hours back.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

4 hours??? Where's the battery in a DeVille?

I used to own a Chrysler Sebring. To replace the battery you had to remove the front left tire and remove the wheel well liner. It was a pain in the ***.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good deal, Sam!

Not a battery issue for me but I recently returned a starter for my Grand Cherokee that I purchased at AutoZone 4 years ago, with a lifetime warranty. I had the receipt, and they also had it in their computer. Walked out with a fresh re-build and it didn't cost me anything except, of course, the time to remove the old and install the new.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The battery in my DeVille is pretty easily accessible, but I just have two left thumbs and can't do anything to my car myself. They were backed up with other jobs which caused the delay they said.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good deal, kudos to them . I have read good feedbacks on pep boys too . I am sure you will be a returning customer

Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

My car started INSTANTLY this morning. So my old battery was obviously weak. I'm sure I still have a drain that will kill it after a few days, but it's almost a daily driver, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll try to find figure out what's draining the current when I have more time.

It's weird, though, how the battery problem showed up the day after I fixed the fuel pump. I guess it was just a weird coincidence. I noticed last winter that if I let my car sit for a week or more I had to jump start it.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
...It's weird, though, how the battery problem showed up the day after I fixed the fuel pump. I guess it was just a weird coincidence. I noticed last winter that if I let my car sit for a week or more I had to jump start it.
Years ago when my '03 XKR was a year or two old I was having a drain problem during winter. The dealer said there was a service bulletin about this and after they did whatever work was in the bulletin the problem seemed to go away. It might have even have been some sort of computer update - sorry I can't remember more about what it entailed.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

I have always wondered.....
Which loads the battery more when parked, car locked or car unlocked ?
Does the alarm system use much battery?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

when I first started shopping for an XK8/R I spoke with a dealer who mentioned the car on his lot had the same problem. If it sat for a week, it would need a jump.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice one Sam and kudos to pepboys it would seem

Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lsimon
Years ago when my '03 XKR was a year or two old I was having a drain problem during winter. The dealer said there was a service bulletin about this and after they did whatever work was in the bulletin the problem seemed to go away. It might have even have been some sort of computer update - sorry I can't remember more about what it entailed.
That's interesting because I first noticed the current drain problem last winter. I assumed it was because I was driving the car less often. Then it was fine all summer. When it showed up again a couple of weeks ago I assumed it was just because I had damaged the battery when I had to crank the car for extended periods while the fuel pump was messed up. BUT, the problem also coincided with the start of cold weather around here. So maybe there were three things going on at once: a battery problem, a fuel pump problem, and a current drain problem. Now I've fixed the first two. I just need to figure out the current drain problem.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

couple of threads running on chasing a current drain over in the S-type section right now, Sam. May be some useful ideas. Here's one:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d-64224/page4/

Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

Unbelievable... I'm going to pull my hair out!!!

So I got the new battery yesterday. This morning the car started instantly. Woohoo! Everything is now PERFECT!

This evening I got the ABS/traction control warning!!! AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

I know it's a minor little thing, and even if it's the ABS module itself I know I can fix it. But it's just frustrating! As soon as I get one thing fixed another one pops up.

I completely understand why many people think Jags are unreliable pieces of... dung. As far as drive-ability goes my car has never let me down. The only time I got stranded was when I got a tank of bad gas. Other than that, it has always gotten me where I want to go. Fortunately I'm relatively handy and I can fix most of the little niggles myself (I learned a new word ). But most people would just get frustrated and want to get rid of the car.

By comparison, my 2004 Ford Expedition now has 194,000 miles on it. I drive it A LOT for work. I've put 60,000 miles on it in the last year. I've had one problem with it the entire time I've owned it; at about 130,000 miles the upper radiator hose slipped off of the radiator. I pulled into a gas station and I was able to fix it on the spot in about 10 minutes.

My point is just that my 194K mile Ford has been virtually trouble free while my 102K mile Jag gives me one problem after another. They are minor problems, but to someone who doesn't know how to fix them they could be very expensive.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

p90x workout schedule positively gets the potential to assist you create a physical body and defined body. The mixture of plyometrics, whole human body workouts, high reps, and variance makes being an serious, fat reducing system it be noticeable.
Essie Nail Polish Colors

Last edited by Car111; 02-23-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Unbelievable... I'm going to pull my hair out!!! ...
In light of all you've contributed around here I guess this is a case of "no good deed goes unpunished". Hang in there; your luck has to turn soon.

When the dust settles, it would be helpful to me to know the "rest state" voltage of the new battery ... say after a good drive and then an overnight. The battery is flooded-cell, not AGM, right?

Old 12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dennis07
The battery is flooded-cell, not AGM, right?
Yep, it's a wet cell. I'm not taking the car into outer space so I didn't really see the need for an AGM battery.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you got it fixed Sam .. I just bought another YELLOW top OPTIMA battery for another truck in my fleet .. this makes 4 of them now.. and returned Bosch batter's from Pep boys back to them .. the gave credit on every one of them.. so it is not a isolated thing from Bosch . there well aware of there Problem .

Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

You do know what happens when you fix everything, don't you? That's the day a trash truck backs over the entire car...

Quick Reply: New Battery