XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) 97' XK8

Old 06-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) 97' XK8

Good morning, all.

Last month I purchased a 1997 XK8 and was hoping a forum like this would exist! I have been incredibly pleased with the car thus far. The previous owner was a bit hard comestically on the car (various scratches here and there) but so far no problems to speak of. Having said that, what should I be aware of? The car has 56K on it and will be a weekend/summer evening driver. I did get a "low coolant" light a few days after purchasing the car but after refilling it seems to be fine. I have read numerous posts so far and an extended warranty seems to be the way to go. Do I have this option give the number of miles? Any suggestions, recommendations would be great. Glad to be a member!

~Brent

Old 06-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New (to me) 97' XK8

Welcome
I don't think Jag would give you an extended warranty. But thier might be some outside companies that would do it and probably depends on milage. Also go to a dealer and order yourself an owners manual if you don't have one. Depending on finances find a good detail shop in your area and you will be surprised what these guys can do for the looks of your car.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome aboard!

If you have been reading this and other forums there is a list of critical items that you need to know the status of. Tensioners, waterpump, thermostat, etc.The active members of this sitegenerally do a lot of our own work and stand ready to help you how to also.

The first thing I would suggest is to develop as much maintainence records as you can. The dealer can pull up all warranty work done and, if you ask nicely, all the other work done. Generally, a release from the previous owner(s) is needed to get actual copies of invoices.

Good luck and keep in touch.

TestPoint

Old 06-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I would at the least have the tensioners checked. Most break-downs can be corrected if you shut the car off and take it to the shop. The tensioner issue pops up sometimes without warning. If one breaks, you can lose an engine immediately. One clue to listen for is if you hear a rattle upon start-up. The original tensioners are plastic and were used on the 4.0 engine. They were updated to metal on the 4.2 engine and the lower ones have a rachet feature to keep the chain tighter. You can get the metal ones for the 4.0.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome,
I too have a '97 with about 50k miles. We'vehad hersince March '08. I've done plenty repairs myself and have had some work done by a local mechanic. He is notJaguar certified but a Master mechanic. Some items of interest to date are; wheel bearing, rt frt lower ball joint, idler pulley, belt, front plastic air dam, frt shocks, frt brakes, power steering cooler, cup holder, repaired air vents, replace all four speakers, added a OE cd changer, thermostat housing and cover (aluminum), flushed the heater core to get the heater to work, repaired both front door panels (broken holders). Some things left to do are; tensioners,rear shock lower bushings and the little LED's in the climate control unit. Oh and maybe new wiper blades LOL.

It may seem as a lot but most was anticipated and some items I did because I just had to have it perfect.It has been fun and very rewarding. I have received great support from this forum and learned a tremendous amount here.

Good luck and enjoy your Jaguar addiction........

Old 06-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Aboard

Hope you find the board as helpful as I have. You'll have a great time with the car. Makes for a fun weekend.