XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself as a new member here. I am active over on BMW and Porsche forums.
I am no stranger to Jaguars. 15 years ago, I had a '99 XK8 (blue on ivory) and a '00 Vanden Plas (gold on ivory). Prior to that, I had an '83 XJ6 (black on black). My experiences with these 3 cars have been pretty horrid, and despite all of that, I still loved all 3.

The '99 XK8's sound system completely went out. I remember driving over a big pump and lost all sound after that. I let it be for a while and did not repair it. Several months later, it suffered a complete transmission failure at around 52k miles. After a complete overhaul and rebuild of the transmission, the car set fire and was totaled. Insurance company could not find how the fire ignited, but say it may have been from oil dripping inside somewhere. It happened while I was driving and it was only because another driver warned me that there was fire coming from under my car that I then pulled over. If not for him, the fire could have spread to the rear gas tank and well... you get the idea.
All of these incidents happened after the warranty expired between late 2003-early 2004 (lucky me). That was the end of that car.

The '00 Vanden Plas was also an excellent car. However at around 30k miles, the engine grenaded itself. I do not recall what the failure was, sorry. The car was under warranty and the dealer still tried to foot me with the entire bill. After calling into Jaguar NA, they ended up covering the entire replacement and labor. Car was at the dealer for about 6 weeks. Thankfully, the lease on that ended and the car was returned.

The '83 XJ6 was not reliable at all. I had the entire interior reupholstered, and motor and transmission both rebuilt because I really loved the car. There was something about the tank-heavy drive to it. After some time, I got too busy to give it any more attention and rust developed. After uncovering it after a long winter, I noticed the entire driver's side footwell had rotted through. I had no choice but to just scrap the car.

After my experienced with Jaguar, I wrote them off completely and moved onto Mercedes, BMW and Porsche. My experiences were much better (thank god!). However now that some 13 years has passed, I find myself looking at the XK8 again. I really want to buy one for my dad, as he really loved that car and I know he would appreciate it.

Internet car forums have really advanced over the years and there is a lot more information readily available now on the XK8 that back then. What issue should I be looking for when shopping around? Would love to find one locally in British Racing Green.

Sorry for the long post, and I look forward to sticking around this time!

Alan

The following 2 users liked this post by A111:
Orthodixie (06-23-2017), Truck Graphics (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:23 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Welcome! Look up tensioners and Nikasil, if you're interested in an earlier model. Otherwise think of a 2003-2005 4.2 version with good service history (in which case the tensioners a Nikisil issues don't apply); I like the 4.2 engine rather than the earlier 4.0 - it is an engine with a very good reputation. Also make your mind up about whether to go for the normally aspirated version or the supercharged XKR

But, looking at your previous vehicle incidents, maybe you should think about a nice push-bike instead!

Old 06-23-2017, 04:26 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Lots of info regarding what to look for in the sticky:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

Stu