XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member, 2002 XKR Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts
Default New member, 2002 XKR Convertible

As a new Jaguar owner of 15 year old car, I am happy to have found this forum.
I have already researched several threads to learn how to repair headrest motor cables and upstream O2 sensors.

Though the O2 sensors have so far beaten me as I just don't have the correct tools to reach bank 1 sensor to get it out. Does the heat shield actually come out, or just move back and down?

Bank two is still intimidating me as I still have not located the electrical connector. Not ready to remove coolant tank if I don't know if I will be able to reach the connector.

I think my next task is replacing front rotors and pads, (Brembo). Are there any special tricks or tips in removing Brembo calipers?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Welcome To The Forum

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on picking the very best model year .

You may already have third generation metal cam chain tensioners if your motor was built after 2001/08/13 or if a previous owner replaced them, but if you haven't checked them off your list, they should be number one priority.

A moderator will soon greet you properly. In the meantime, pictures would be great!

Last edited by Roger_B; 09-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:56 AM

thanks, my wife fell in love with the lines of the car. I was concerned about the tensioners when searching for the XKR. The previous owner told me that he had sent the VIN to jaguar usa and they informed him that the car had the 3rd gen metal tensioners. At this point I am taking him at his word that this is true.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:16 PM

I got the front rotors and pads changed. No issues, I cheated and used caliper bolt to push rotor off the spindle. It sure saved a lot of beating on the rotor and saved the ears. Time to play with my granddaughter now.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarlo
As a new Jaguar owner of 15 year old car, I am happy to have found this forum.
I have already researched several threads to learn how to repair headrest motor cables and upstream O2 sensors.

Though the O2 sensors have so far beaten me as I just don't have the correct tools to reach bank 1 sensor to get it out. Does the heat shield actually come out, or just move back and down?

Bank two is still intimidating me as I still have not located the electrical connector. Not ready to remove coolant tank if I don't know if I will be able to reach the connector.

I think my next task is replacing front rotors and pads, (Brembo). Are there any special tricks or tips in removing Brembo calipers?

Thanks for the advice.
On the X308 XJR, you can get uppers from the top of the car, there's just more room, BUT that doesn't help you lol. I pulled both cats to do the 4 oxygen sensors on my X100 XKR; you'll find it prudent to just do ALL of them at once rather than go back and forth. When working with the cooling system, those norma connectors are a PITA, so be patient and gingerly with them as a little impatience and bad luck can cost $40+ per line. I don't think the X100 has them on the overflow tank. Going from memory on the tanks.

My advice is not to trust the previous owner on the tensioners as he had every incentive to tell you what you heard. Either get the motor number and check with Jaguar or pull the covers. The covers are super easy to do. I'm only 30 but I've bought and sold maybe 25-35 cars and maybe a dozen motorcycles. I'd have been so screwed if I trusted half the sellers I bought from.

I have integral headrests (earlier seats) and non-brembo brakes, so I'll refrain from speculation.

Welcome to the forum and we all love these cars . You'll have a blast.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:07 PM

how or where do you find the motor number? the car itself was September of 01 build.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

how or where do you find the motor number? the car itself was September of 01 build.
Here's others saying it best .

Originally Posted by luciv6
The V6 in my name, isn't in reference to a V6 engine.

For anyone who stumbles upon this post and doesn't want to bother with JTIS, here's the answer as posted by Cambo351 in another thread yesterday:

"It's on the left hand bank, at the very rear of the engine block, just below where the head meets the block."

Old 09-09-2017, 03:21 PM

thank you. I'm still trying to find my way around the forum.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Though the O2 sensors have so far beaten me as I just don't have the correct tools to reach bank 1 sensor to get it out.
The upstream sensors can be removed pretty painlessly, from the top, at least on my '03. Tool that worked best for me was the crows-foot tool from Harbor Freight.

3-8-eighth-inch-offset-oxygen-sensor-wrench

All the connectors meet on a bracket below, and back from the throttle body.

I have changed mine based on OBD codes. You have a code reader, right? If not, you cannot go wrong with a cheap ELM327 and a phone app.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:37 PM

thank you fmertz for the link, did you have any tips on getting the heat shield out? I have the standard o2 socket that is about 3 inches long, so I was trying to loosen out from the bottom. I did find a forgotten socket wrench in my tool box that does not swing, it has rotating place on the end of the handle that turns the socket. going to have to give that a try first since nearest harbor freight is 90 miles away.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:40 PM

i am changing based on check engine light, AutoZone read code and showed upstream bank 2 code. I may have to invest in code reader so am able to reset after repairs. I have been trying to get bank one done first as it appeared to be the easiest one to get to.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

upstream bank 2 code.
Each sensor has a separate code. Upstream is near the end of the exhaust manifold, at the top end of the converter, and should be plainly visible from the top. Bank 2 is driver side here in the US. Make triple sure you get a wideband sensor as replacement. DENSO is probably the easiest to shop for.

The following users liked this post:
dcarlo (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

See here for my adventure with the down stream O2 s nor on my 03

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rs-how-149326/

Old 09-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Replaced both o2 on a 02xkr top sensors. Heat shields are flexible at least the large on one passenger side.
When you unplug cable tie a string to it when you pull it back through, this will greatly help rerouting the new one.
Do not over tighten the sensor on install people had problems and posts will describe them.
It may take awhile after for all your emissions test to complete, there are some threads on drive cycles but none seemed to work for me, Eventually they will all complete with driving.