XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member 2002XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 04:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Member 2002XKR

New to the forum, purchased a 2002 XKR last week. I have done some basic maintenance (oil and filter change, air filter), car is in good shape (no codes, leaks, etc). However, I was a bit disappointed to see that the car is equipped with the standard XK8 brakes vice the Brembos. I have other performance cars and the brakes are a bit weak in comparison. Would appreciate advice on an upgrade to the calipers, is there a swap with a later model or something aftermarket? The Brembo option is a bit too costly - appreciate any advice. I also bought a Bluetooth to FM transmitter and it works fairly well. Here are the details on it - it was available on Amazon

VicTsing Bluetooth FM Transmitter, Wireless In-Car FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit With USB Car Charger AUX Input 1.44 Inch Display TF Card Slot

Love the lines of the XKR

Old 06-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Please add the year and model of your car to your signatue (User CP). It helps other members when answering any questions you may have in the future.

As for the brakes. I found a slight improvement at a modest cost by upgrading to stainless/braided lines.

Stu

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 05:11 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm not sure if they are a direct swap (I suspect they are) but the Brembo calipers are often on eBay at very reasonable prices.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome. Very nice addition.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default WELCOME

Welcome to the forum!

You certainly picked the right year, and the car looks beautiful. Tell us about your search: how did you arrive at that particular car? Was it exactly what you were looking for, or was it just too good to pass up...? What have you discovered since purchasing that is either serendipity or disappointment?

Old 06-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by VAXKR
Would appreciate advice on an upgrade to the calipers
The more straightforward upgrade is in fact to locate the Brembo kit meant for the XKR (or the X308 XJR R1). Welsh Ent. has a ready-made kit for the front at an OK price, considering all the parts are original Jaguar and the kit is complete (includes the splash guard, brake lines, bolts, pads, etc.). Takes a bit of work to put in (uprights have to be threaded for the bolts), but it seems doable in a home garage.

Resist the temptation of the very similar S-Type R or X350 XJR. They look very similar, but do not fit. There are plenty of those on eBay, and cheap.

Also, you can collect all the parts separately. Locate calipers/pins and pads. Find the rotors you like. Buy the OEM bolts, and the GoodRidge lines.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

See you around town...