Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member intro and fuel tank question / problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member intro and fuel tank question / problem

Hello everybody,

My wife and I are proud new owners of a 99 XK8 convertible in pristine condition with 62k miles on it. I'm aware of the "gremlins" on these cars and fully appreciate that they are woks of art, and being so can be a bit demanding at times. I've alo done my fair ork of auto reformation over the years, albeit mot of the being older Ford Mustangs, but the latest was a 2002 Mazda Miata (still in progress) so I'm very familiar with tracking down electrical and mechanical issues.

Since it was wrm today (over 50 degrees !) we decided o take a little ride. After two brief stops over 30 miles, we stopped t a third store and walked in. 10 minutes later we tried to leave and the car would not start. It would fire, but just stumble and stall repeatedly. Gauge showed half a tank (it was full when we bought it 2 weeks ago) so I suspected a fuel issue as I had trong battery, ignition, and no ECU lights. Before calling for a tow I bought a gas an and put a gallon into the tank. The car started almost immediately, only stumbling until I assume fuel pressure arose. Suspecting an empty tank and faulty gauge, I drove to the gas station and filled it, with 8 gallons of gas. ?! The drive home was uneventful.

After researching some, it looks like its an in tank pump. Is there a pickup on it or does the pump sit at the bottom of the tank? I spoke with the previous owner (family) and he never had a problem with it, however he also never let it get down to half a tank of gas either! I realize I'm oing o have to pull the pump anyways,but I'm trying to do more troubleshooting before I start.

Thank you in advance, and I apologize if this has been covered. I read the stickies and idsome searching first, but could only come up with fuel pump failures.

Thanks!
Bob

Old 04-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default fuel problem

Hi bobman. I also have 1999 xk8 con, I have just fitted new fuel pump in my car,it is a bitch of a job just trying to disconnect the fuel lines.The pump sits at the bottom of the tank with a filter which basically touches the bottom.I would suggest you check your fuel regulator, my problems turned out to be the loss of fuel pressure due to faulty regulator, lot less trouble to change .