Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Window Grimlin

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Default New Window Grimlin

Just when I thought I had all the Grimlins out of my 03 a window issue popped up yesterday:

The drivers window, when putting the top up using either the door key switch or the remote top control, does not act correctly. I have tried, several times, a hard reset with the battery and reprogrammed the windows but still have the issue.

Here's the details:
Using the inside console switch everything works correctly but with the inside console switch the windows do not automatically go up anyway.

Using the door key switch or the remote top control results in the same issue so I do not believe it's an issue with the remote top installation.

When putting the top down everything works correctly

When putting the top up the passenger side window goes up, drops again 1/2 inch as it should however I can see the drivers side window start to go up but it stops as soon as it barely protrudes from the door, when the top cycle completes the passenger windows goes back up to seal and the rear windows go up but the drivers window just goes up the 1/2 inch to seal. So the result is the drivers window only has raised about 1 inch out of the door.

If I put the drivers window up before putting the top up with the remote or key switch it acts correctly, drops 1/2 inch, top cycles and it goes up to seal.

Any suggestions, as the window does respond just not correctly I fear the control mod is bad.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Battery issue?

Suggestion for a test:
- Start the car and keep it running for the following.
- Reset the window top and bottom stops, both front windows.
- Repeat the tests described in your post (the ones that can be done with the car running).
How did we do?

Old 08-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply however I already did this. Have tested everything several times running and not running with the same results. Reset window at least 8 times, did hard reset by touching neg to pos on battery two times. No change in results.

Only thing left now is to swap window mods and see if the problem follows unless someone has a better idea.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Top Mod

OK what I don't think was clear from your post is you are doing the top mod, I'm assuming with the module you got from Jag Wrangler. If that is the case I'd call him up as he likely has run into this before. If the car was working fine before you put the mod in and you didn't fry something taking the mod out should restore the car. If taking the mod out doesn't restore the car you likely have to replace one of the control modules. But give the guy that sold you the mod a call first as he'd have the most experience with it and should be able to help you get this all sorted.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

That info puts a whole new complexion on the problem.

Call Steve, he's incredibly helpful and as Rob says he's seen more window issues than anyone.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Yes I have the top mod but it has been installed for a month with no issues. The problem is identical regardless of if I am using the key in the door or the remote thru the top mod from Steve so the top mod is not the issue as it just mimicks the way the key in the door works. Thanks but you guys are on the wrong track and I indicated several times in my first post that the issue is the same regardless of using the remote or the key and said nothing about tring to install the top mod. I will send Steve an email just to confirm however I see no way Steve's top mod could cause this issue.

I do however appreciate the replies and assistance in resolving my problem.

Last edited by Jandreu; 08-04-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I suggest a hard reset...remove the negative terminal from the battery and touch it to the positive terminal.

This will reset all of the electronics in the vehicle and might just resolve the problem.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Just when I thought I had all the Grimlins out of my 03 a window issue popped up yesterday:

The drivers window, when putting the top up using either the door key switch or the remote top control, does not act correctly. I have tried, several times, a hard reset with the battery and reprogrammed the windows but still have the issue.

Here's the details:
Using the inside console switch everything works correctly but with the inside console switch the windows do not automatically go up anyway.

Using the door key switch or the remote top control results in the same issue so I do not believe it's an issue with the remote top installation.

When putting the top down everything works correctly

When putting the top up the passenger side window goes up, drops again 1/2 inch as it should however I can see the drivers side window start to go up but it stops as soon as it barely protrudes from the door, when the top cycle completes the passenger windows goes back up to seal and the rear windows go up but the drivers window just goes up the 1/2 inch to seal. So the result is the drivers window only has raised about 1 inch out of the door.

If I put the drivers window up before putting the top up with the remote or key switch it acts correctly, drops 1/2 inch, top cycles and it goes up to seal.

Any suggestions, as the window does respond just not correctly I fear the control mod is bad.
On My 02 XKR when I put the top up/down and the door windows are in the UP position when beginning the Roof cycle (open or closed) they will be restored to the up position. So my high lite is you indicate your's operates differently ?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Jamdmyers, mine works the same as yours when using the inside control switch.

The issue is the drivers door only window is not acting correctly when raising the top from outside the car. If the window is down when the top cycle starts it does not respond correctly as indicated in my first post.

Steve, yes I have done the hard reset twice with no results.