Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New XK8 Owner Key Fob Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XK8 Owner Key Fob Question?

Hello everybody!

I recently picked up for a steal, a 1997 XK8, 80K on the odometer, almost pristine condition, very well maintained. Just a couple of little problems -

1) It's missing the key fod/remote, just two regular keys. I've seen replacement remotes on ebay, but how do I programme them? is it something I have to have a dealer do?

2) The antenna does not extend, is there a particular fuse I should check or, should I just purchase a new one.

and finally,

3) Stuck in traffic on a very hot Texas day, I had a temperature spike, all the way into the red zone, fortunatly I was able to get off the freeway and shut it down. 15 minutes later in the shade, started it up, it spiked again but within seconds it returned to normal. Got it home, fluid level was low but by no means critical.
Since them I've had no problems with it, driving it progessivly further distances and in all traffic conditions.
So, sticky thermostat? Air bubble? Low fluid? Water pump? Radiator?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You should visit the new members section and introduce yourself. You will have to wait until you have 10 posts and a couple of weeks since joining before you can access the wealth of information in the sticky's.
I don't have a fob yet, can't help. The fuse is, I believe #9 in the box under the luggage area.
Your thermostat should probably be replaced, as well as the water pump, and a aluminum thermostat housing if not done by PO.
Have the secondary chain tensioners been upgraded? Very important.
RJ___________
97XK8 Conv. 85K mi

Old 07-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by RadioHack
3) Stuck in traffic on a very hot Texas day, I had a temperature spike, all the way into the red zone, fortunatly I was able to get off the freeway and shut it down. 15 minutes later in the shade, started it up, it spiked again but within seconds it returned to normal. Got it home, fluid level was low but by no means critical.
Since them I've had no problems with it, driving it progessivly further distances and in all traffic conditions.
So, sticky thermostat? Air bubble? Low fluid? Water pump? Radiator?
Something similar happened to me shortly after I got my R. Cruising down the highway the temp suddenly spiked to max on the gauge. I shut the car off immediately. Switched it back on (not started) a few seconds later and the gauge read normal again.

Drove for a while longer and it happened again, the same way. Shut the car off, then switched back into position 2 and the gauge was reading normal again. Restarted and continued on.

When I got home (AZ) I cleaned the temperature sending unit connector with electrical contact cleaner and haven't had a problem since.

This problem occurred while driving across Texas, same as you, so maybe there is something in the air.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Welcome to the forum RadioHack,

As RJ237 says, we must have missed your Intro. Catch up when you get a chance.

1. your XK8 will have been supplied with 2 x Black headed keys (master), 1 x Green Headed key (valet) and 2 x Remote Fobs. YES you can get them on eBay and YES you can program them yourself without a visit to the dealer BUT you must get the right fobs with the right frequency. US members will be able to provide details.

2. the antenna fuse is in the luggage compartment fusebox. You'll find the fuse number in the Vehicle Handbook. Antennae regularly stick but check the power feed first before buying a replacement.

3. ccfulton reckons this is 'Texas Temperature Syndrome'. The descriptions sound very similar but be aware sticking thermostats are a known issue on the V8's.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
threemano (08-20-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 6,251 Likes on 5,451 Posts

Make sure the previous owner wasn't a forum member who has installed a switch for the ariel.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Norri
Make sure the previous owner wasn't a forum member who has installed a switch for the ariel.
...........and if he was, ask him for the remote fobs.

Graham

Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
3. ccfulton reckons this is 'Texas Temperature Syndrome'. The descriptions sound very similar but be aware sticking thermostats are a known issue on the V8's.
It was the instant "cooling off" that told me the over heating wasn't real. Physics says that switching the car off and back on over the course of a few seconds should not make the temperature change in an appreciable way.

I call Lucas on that one.

But the advice about thermostats is well taken. These engines do not like getting hot at all and the temperature gauge is a placebo. A thermostat is a cheap and easy to do maintenance item and well worth it.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
It was the instant "cooling off" that told me the over heating wasn't real. Physics says that switching the car off and back on over the course of a few seconds should not make the temperature change in an appreciable way.

I call Lucas on that one.

But the advice about thermostats is well taken. These engines do not like getting hot at all and the temperature gauge is a placebo. A thermostat is a cheap and easy to do maintenance item and well worth it.
Obviously that was the case for you Charlie, but in the XK8/R the difference betwwen normal (center scale) and overheat is literally 3-4 degree with the Jaguar's idiot gauge.

I would venture to say that your temp senosr connector fault was the exception. The thermostat can cause the same symptoms, and is a much more common fault.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-11-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

The temperature increase I can understand coming on very quickly with a sticky thermostat but the cooling down I am having somewhat more trouble with.

I won't say it can't manifest that way, and I'm not trying to be a jerk about it but I'm not quite seeing how it would. For that to happen you would have to very abruptly exchange a slug of hot water with cooler water and then again for hot water and I just wouldn't expect a thermostat to fail that way. Slow, yes. Sticky, yes. Binary back and forth, I'm skeptical.

Don't take me the wrong way, I replaced the thermostat too, better safe than sorry.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

No argument with the physics Charlie.

I just spent a fair amount of the time simulating the coolant sensor inputs while developing RealGauge, and though I did not formally document it, I did see some curiously highly non-linear behavior around the trigger region between overheat and normal with the instrument cluster computer driving the gauge.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You can find the part number on the key fob. Use that number in your search on ebay. I snagged one for about $30. There are instructions for programming the key fob in the XK8/XKR FAQ. It is easily done. No need to go to the dealer.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
No argument with the physics Charlie.

I just spent a fair amount of the time simulating the coolant sensor inputs while developing RealGauge, and though I did not formally document it, I did see some curiously highly non-linear behavior around the trigger region between overheat and normal with the instrument cluster computer driving the gauge.
I was coming at this with the idea that the gauge had a linear response with a flat spot in the middle to damp the small oscillations. If you found it to be non-linear than all manner of un-physical behavior can be explained.

You learn something ever day.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:17 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by hypoluxo
You can find the part number on the key fob. Use that number in your search on ebay. I snagged one for about $30. There are instructions for programming the key fob in the XK8/XKR FAQ. It is easily done. No need to go to the dealer.
.............not when you haven't got a key fob you can't.

See OP item (1)

Graham

Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 AM
GGG

I think we're agreed the temperature gauge as originally configured by Jaguar is misleading and useless?

It might as well be:

I wasn't dismissing a faulty sender as the most likely cause in this instance but mentioned thermometer because the OP RadioHack is a new owner living in a hot climate and may not be aware of this well known issue.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails New XK8 Owner Key Fob Question?-smiley-gauge.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
I think we're agreed the temperature gauge as originally configured by Jaguar is misleading and useless?

It might as well be:

Does it change to a saddy-face when the temperature gets too high?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Saddy face? No, that would be the owner's face.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:21 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Does it change to a saddy-face when the temperature gets too high?
But of course and it also turns red. After all, it's a Jaguar.

(Charlie - wish I'd got the XK8 with me today so I could have done a quick saddy-face and posted a pic straight back!)

Graham

Old 07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Here you go Graham:

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:52 PM
GGG

Keith,
You've got way too much free time on your hands.
Graham

Old 07-12-2012, 12:54 PM
GGG

..........and I hope you Photoshopped that. I left my XK8 parked 20 miles away!

Graham

Quick Reply: New XK8 Owner Key Fob Question?