Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly purchased '05 XKR.....maintenance suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 06:05 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Newly purchased '05 XKR.....maintenance suggestions

Hi guys!

Jim here, in NE Ohio. I just brought home a '05 XKR with handling package and dynamic stability, and am thinking about my plan of attack for getting the car at a baseline for maintenance going forward.

Right now I know I need at least to change the front upper strut mounts since the car sits low up front. The Ford dealership I bought the car from agreed to do the labor if I supply parts (which I want to do to control what is put on it.) Measurements from wheel center to fender are 14.5 front and 16.0 rear

When I inspected the car on a lift I could find no torn boots, play in ball joints, tire wear evidence of mis-alignment or bearings wobble.... it was unbelievably clean and tight to the eye.

That said..... would you recommend also replacing the springs at 81,000 miles? I am leaning towards doing that. It appears that the OEM springs ARE available as of 7/17, correct? I want to restore to factory specs not alter the suspension.

Secondly, I am trying to decide whether to just drop off the car with the parts and have them do it or to disassemble myself and take them just the assembled struts to do the scary part. (I HATE doing springs, so much energy in that assembly!!)

By doing it myself (up to the spring compressor part) I can inspect the bushes while I take it apart and renew them if necessary as well as get a better 'feel' for what I am working with. Some wear isn't evident until the parts are disassembled IMHO.

The car has no rattles, creaks or other tell-tale noises, but DOES have a shimmy at about 73 mph.... more of a 'whole car' shake than a steering shimmy.

I want to take care of that.

Once I do whatever front end work is required I will try to find a Hunter balancer somewhere and get the wheels properly balanced. I used to have a Porsche 951, and those cars needed the Hunter balancing, so I know how much it can do to solve a shimmy.

At that time I'll find out if my wheels are straight or not. If not I'll send them out this winter for refurbishment.

Part two then...... Unfortunately I bought the car from a (reputable) dealership who took the car on trade-in. I know from Carfax that the PO had the car for 8 yrs and 60,000 miles, and I can gather from the condition of the car that it was reasonably maintained.

Past that I know NOTHING! It's history is a blank.

I thought I might:

1. ask the dealership to contact the man and give him my contact info to see if he would agree to speak with me, hoping he might have kept some documentation (long shot) or at least be able to tell me if stuff like the supercharger, diff, convertible top hoses or tranny have been serviced.

and/or,

2. On the Carfax it shows that he serviced the car a few times at a nearby Jaguar dealer, so I thought I might drive up there to see if they could give me any information they have. I want them to run a history/build sheet for me anyway since the Ford site won't take my VIN

If I strike out there I guess I'll just replace ALL the fluids in the car from top to bottom and start buying belts, hoses and fittings in anticipation of a winter upper engine teardown to replace all the rubber bits.

How does my logic sound? Any other thoughts?

This is my first Jaguar. I am happy to own her, and happy to be here where so much good info is available.

I am planning to do something a little different for my radio/bluetooth/phone/nav system going forward, (think Android based system with remote touchscreen mounted in place of nav) so maybe I'll be able to contribute something back to the forum.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by flylear45; 07-14-2017 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added ride height #s
Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by flylear45
I want to restore to factory specs not alter the suspension.
That is a wise decision. These suspensions are not terribly sophisticated and the camber is correct only around stock ride height. Some folks have used (mildly) lowered springs, though.

If it was me, I would get the better Welsh Enterprise upper mounts from eBay and have them install them. These suspensions typically do not disintegrate (apart from the upper mount). Put the anti-sway bar bushings on your list, they collapse with age and then the bar clunks.

On the Carfax it shows that he serviced the car a few times at a nearby Jaguar dealer, so I thought I might drive up there to see if they could give me any information they have.
When I was searching for my car, I was always able to call out service departments in the area, based on the Carfax history. All service managers I have talked to willingly shared details about the car's history over the phone. Obviously, I was completely focused on the car, I never asked any personal information. My understanding is that these records stay with the service dealer, and are not centralized by Jaguar at the "national" level. I found that calling mid-morning, outside of the rush of cars coming in or going out was best.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following 3 users liked this post by fmertz:
flylear45 (07-14-2017), GBCat (07-14-2017), VinceCh (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I also purchased a 2005 XKR six months ago, former Florida car. Not able to obtain any history although the vehicle was in great condition (71,000 miles) and drove very well. To establish a base line for routine servicing I had:-
Engine oil changed.
New oil filter.
New air filter.
Transmission fluid changed and new pass through rubber installed.
Changed the supercharger oil.
Had one rear rim (20 inch Persangs) put back to "round".
My car also sits low at the front, 14.25 front, 16.0 rear so a change of upper shock mounts is in the very near future.
Was very pleased to find that the hoses to the front hood latch are dated 2009, so it looks as though I may not have to be concerned about a "green shower"......let us pray!
Also changed the GPS to a Garmin unit so navigation is totally up to date.
Other than that, so far so good. Must say I love the looks, power and comfort of the car, probably the nicest vehicle I have owned. Especially enjoy not seeing myself coming the other way all the time.
Regards to all on this great forum
GBCat
Triple black XKR convertible

Attached Thumbnails Newly purchased '05 XKR.....maintenance suggestions-image.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
flylear45 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I tend to be aggressive on this stuff, but I've never regretted it in terms of reliability and predictable cost of ownership.

If you can't prove it's been done and done within a standard interval, I'd do the following as a minimum:

-Transmission Fluid & Filter (you have a ZF 6HP26, a MASSIVELY better transmission than the 5HP24 that the earlier pre-4.2 [02 and earlier US MYs]). Change every 30-60k depending on usage and driving style.
-Supercharger Oil (you have an Eaton M112 SC, it's SUPER easy and cheap to change the oil, buy the GM oil and a syringe and take 30-45 minutes) Change every 30k.
-Engine Oil & Filter, not gonna debate frequency. Right when I get a car I like to change it to see how the oil looks in terms of particulate. I run Mobil 1 5W30 and a Wix filter, changing every 3-5k (guys like low change intervals on resale, and I prefer it for oil filtration) but arguing engine oil is like talking religion, you do you.
-Brake Fluid. If street driven, flush every two years; track events, before and after. I like Valvoline's DOT3&4 fluid for street, excellent wet and dry boiling points and very cheap at under $10 a quart at tons of Auto Parts stores.
-Power Steering. I like to ghetto swap this every other year. Big ol' turkey baster, empty coffee can. Take out all you can get to, put in coffee can. Put fresh GM ATF (I like Valvoline Synthetic DEXRON/MERCON ATF, works in several of my cars for transmission, and here for this ) in, with car on turn lock to lock several times, swap again, repeat sequence until ATF looks pretty cherry.
-Coolant. I like every 2 years. Just drain and fill. XKRs have a slightly more complex process due to the intercooler circuit; theres a PDF if you search XKR coolant change.
-Differential. I like this every 60k. Theres the hard way, and then the drill a hole in the trunk way; you decide!

That should be a good start .

The following 3 users liked this post by 80sRule:
flylear45 (07-14-2017), GBCat (07-14-2017), VinceCh (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the input, guys.

fmertz, sway bar links will be on the list. Check. I will also be buying the Welsh poly uppers. I don't go in for poly in suspension as a rule (I have my reasons), but I have exceptions for proven areas of need for them. The upper strut mount in this car is one of those I believe.

GBCat, beautiful car. I love how the black cars look, but am a slob at taking care of them. For that reason I was looking for silver or light blue when I found mine. My sports cars don't sit much. I drive them a LOT so my slobbiness shows less on lighter colors. LOL

80'sRule, thanks for the tips.... we are of like minds except I probably trust synthetic oil life a bit more than that schedule. As you say, oils are a religion and best to just hold to your own and keep things friendly, right? When it comes time for diff refill I will be picking your brain if a search doesn't help.

I am still not decided on whether to buy front springs. At 81k miles I don't think I'd be wrong to go with new ones, as long as I can get OEM quality replacements. I will pay the price for the right parts because bad parts are worse than nothing.

GBCat (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Fwiw i changed the front springs in my xk8 same mileage. Really not much of an improvement in its handling. Frankly any improvement was in my head. Bigger improvement changing shocks and or anti sway bar link.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
flylear45 (07-14-2017), GBCat (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

fmertz, sway bar links will be on the list. Check. I don't go in for poly in suspension as a rule
I meant the bushings, closer to the middle of the bar, not the end links. I suppose if it does not clunk, yet, you could wait. Rockauto has all of this for very cheap.

Agreed on the poly. I did this to an older car once, and the squeaking that developed was just making the whole car seam cheap and unmaintained. Not doing that again. Later, I read a great article describing the actual function of the compliance in these rubber parts, and it restored a lot of respect for these original "soft" parts from the factory. The book was about the last Mazda RX-7 (known to be a great handling car), and described the added stability under braking by allowing toe-in. Great read.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
I meant the bushings, closer to the middle of the bar, not the end links. I suppose if it does not clunk, yet, you could wait. Rockauto has all of this for very cheap.

Agreed on the poly. I did this to an older car once, and the squeaking that developed was just making the whole car seam cheap and unmaintained. Not doing that again. Later, I read a great article describing the actual function of the compliance in these rubber parts, and it restored a lot of respect for these original "soft" parts from the factory. The book was about the last Mazda RX-7 (known to be a great handling car), and described the added stability under braking by allowing toe-in. Great read.

Gotcha. I said links too, when I thought you were talking about the bushings.

I ruined a TR6 for a while with poly stuff. Ended up taking it back out and using rubber again in most of the places. I still use poly for the upper fulcrums and the diff forward mountings, though.

As you say, rubber has a purpose for the street especially.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:27 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I believe the factory CATS springs are NLA. When I had my rear done on my 03, I did not replace them as they were in good shape and I'd have to go aftermarket. I believe Adamesh has the highest ride height of the after markets.

-dsd

flylear45 (07-15-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

When I got my car, I changed out ALL the fluids, so that I knew what went in. Hopefully you can do that, or have a trusty mechanic.
Peace of mind. Congrats!
My XKR is also Platinum with Handling Package. You're gonna love it!

flylear45 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 05:40 AM

I already love her PBF! She's a sultry and sexy girl. It makes me feel good just to have her, even when I'm not driving her.

I'm SO glad I decided to get a supercharged model. It gives the car a Jekyll and Hyde type of character, and it pulls off both with poise and grand style.

My 'other car' is a heavily modified, Ford engined, turbocharged Triumph TR7 hotrod with 3 times the HP it came with stock, so I'm fully addicted to having excessive power on tap if it is ever wanted or needed. The Jag delivers, and the supercharger whine is a fun sound to hear with the top down.

I wish I had the beans to get a 5.0 XKRS.... but this is just fine for me.

When I was sourcing parts I found out that converts don't get the heavier sway bars that the coupes do as part of the handling package. I almost ordered the wrong sway bar bushings. I got everything I needed (hopefully) coming from Welsh and SNG Barratt.

MJA3502DD* Rar Anti-Roll Bar Mounting Bush $5.60 Dispatched: 2
MJA2153AB* SHOCK BUSH $22.40 Dispatched: 2
MJA2150BA Front Spring Assister $19.02 Dispatched: 2
MJA2102CE* ARB BUSH FRONT $3.12 Dispatched: 2

MJA2170BDPR Upper shock mount - Pair 149.95

Once the parts arrive and I have my service appointment scheduled I will take off the front struts, take them to Ford to R&R, and change sway bar bushes myself.

If the control arm bushes look the least bit suspect when I have it apart I'll just keep the car down until I can get new bushes for those in hand.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:05 PM

Wow!! Welsh parts showed up next day in Ohio. Nice job, and thanks to Tom who took my order.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 PM

Wow!! Welsh parts showed up next day in Ohio. Nice job, and thanks to Tom who took my order.
I think of the XKR with Supercharger as a male. haha.
but yes, I keep telling a friend who is looking at xk8, to get XKR. there is really no comparison.

post pics!

Old 07-19-2017, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
I think of the XKR with Supercharger as a male. haha.
but yes, I keep telling a friend who is looking at xk8, to get XKR. there is really no comparison.

post pics!

I can see why some people wouldn't care either way, or prefer not to have an R, but once you have a car with a power-adder it's hard to go back.

Mine is a 'she' for sure. I suppose I am attracted to powerful women. (Honestly, that's true.)

I need to take some pictures. So many folks here are so good with a camera and get some lovely shots. Once my ride-height is fixed I'll take some.

This is when I bought her:

My daughter tries out the back seat with her husband up front.

prettybluefin (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM

THAT picture summarizes the question, "How big is the back seat?" haha.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
THAT picture summarizes the question, "How big is the back seat?" haha.

Yup. Liz and Matt are pretty small, too.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:12 PM

Woot!

All my parts are here. Now I just need to get the appointment scheduled and strip off the struts for R&R. Probably early next week.... 7-24-25-17'ish.

I am readying the TR7 and Tbird to sell so I have garage space.... and to lower the license/insurance/maintenance bills enough to take on the XKR.

I was planning to sell the other cars FIRST, but when this one came up so close and at the price it was, I had to pounce on it.

I am taking the turbo system off the 5.0 V8 Tbird, harvesting the injectors, intercooler, fancy tranny cooler, and misc. other bits. The 50 lb. injectors are going into the TR7, because it is over-injected, meaning I went too large with the 65 lb'ers in it now. It will idle and come off-idle better with slightly smaller injectors like the ones I have in the Tbird.

I am almost done re-doing the Tbird exhaust, going to duals instead of the single 3" I put on it for it's life as a turbo car.

I drove the TR7 last night. I was thinking it was going to be a real let-down getting in it after the Jag, but it was still a treat. It is crude and firm, riding on GAZ struts and adjustable front springs, but it still is a hoot to drive. Whoever buys it next is gonna enjoy it as much as I have, I'm sure.

It's time to turn the page after having it completed for almost 10 years now.

A year after I got it done I decided to dyno it and take it to the track for a 1/4 mile slip.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:33 AM

Here is how I bought this car.

I have been lurking here and learning about specifics on this breed for months if not years.

I knew i wanted an R. I was searching ALL available vehicles weekly at first, then daily towards the end. I knew what a good one would cost. I had viewed in person several and walked away.

This one came up as a new listing AT A DEALERSHIP, not Jaguar. I never called them. I went down and saw the car in 'raw' condition, before it went through prep-for sale.

I wanted to trade a Ford product, so I knew I was going to get a fair deal on my Ford (Mercury) trade-in.

I insisted that the car not be touched before I came back to inspect it on the rack. I made quick friends with the tech doing my inspection and he actually helped me.

I pulled all codes and from the history of the car.... the same owner for the last 8 years and the impeccable condition of the interior and underside....was able to pull the trigger the same day to bring her home.

I knew I wanted it after looking it over from underneath and so did the salesman, so that hurt my trade-in, but I didn't get hurt too bad and got what I wanted in the end.

The funny part is that I stuck, and almost walked on them changing my strut mounts and paying for it, but I don't want to trust them to do it now!

I guess I am not such a good negotiator after all. LOL