XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No electrical at passenger door

Old 02-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default No electrical at passenger door

Hi all, this morning, when started the car, showed for the first time the "passenger door open" message. Checked the door and it was well closed. While continuing checking, the power window on that side didn't work, neither the power lock and power mirror. Seems that anything electrical isn't functioning at the passenger's door. Driver's door is OK, top and rear quarter windows on both sides working OK, any other electrical function in the car is OK. Any ideas where to start checking? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Check between the hinges, there is a large round black plug that screws in on a plastic collar, this seperates all the door electrics, see if it has come undone, this would be my first port of call

The following users liked this post:
Felipe Pr (02-13-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Check between the hinges, there is a large round black plug that screws in on a plastic collar, this seperates all the door electrics, see if it has come undone, this would be my first port of call
Checked the large round plug and seems OK, well tight. Any fuses or relays to check?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM

I mean, didn't unscrew it, just noticed it is tight. Should I unscrew it and check inside?

Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 AM

Any ideas anybody?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Felipe...Check fuse #15 (a 25 amp fuse) in the panel on the dash beside the passenger door.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-13-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Felipe Pr (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Question

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Felipe...Check fuse #15 (a 25 amp fuse) in the panel on the dash beside the driver door.
Checked, in both sides, the driver and the passenger, both fuses are OK.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Felipe Pr
Checked, in both sides, the driver and the passenger, both fuses are OK.
Try disconnecting the battery for a minute or so and reconnecting. You will need to reset the windows and may need to reenter the radio code on some models.

If that does not fix it, it sounds like either the pass. door module is not getting power, or it has failed.

Felipe Pr (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Passenger door electronics

Felipe Pr;
You may also want to check #4 fuse (5amp) on the passenger side fuse box. It splits and is the fuse link protecting the passenger door lock switch and the power door lock control in the passenger door control module. It also protects the door window switch for the power window, passenger side.
I'm suggesting this since you stated you were getting "passenger door open" message.
Also, is the puddle light in the passenger door operating? This may be an indication the passenger door module is properly functioning since the light also goes through the passenger door control module.

Felipe Pr (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Try disconnecting the battery for a minute or so and reconnecting. You will need to reset the windows and may need to reenter the radio code on some models. If that does not fix it, it sounds like either the pass. door module is not getting power, or it has failed.
Disconnected the battery for about 30 mins., connected again, nothing happened.
Where is the pass. door module, how can I check it. Aren't any relays to check first?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jag13cat
Felipe Pr;
You may also want to check #4 fuse (5amp) on the passenger side fuse box. It splits and is the fuse link protecting the passenger door lock switch and the power door lock control in the passenger door control module. It also protects the door window switch for the power window, passenger side.
I'm suggesting this since you stated you were getting "passenger door open" message.
Also, is the puddle light in the passenger door operating? This may be an indication the passenger door module is properly functioning since the light also goes through the passenger door control module.
Checked #4 fuse, OK. The puddle light in the passenger door isn't operating.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Had a similar problem on the driver side, fuses were all ok. Ended up being the door module. You can get to the passenger side door module which is located behind the door speaker. You should be able to remove speaker cover that will pop out after you have removed the two screws on the underside of the speaker cover. Remove screws holding speaker and the rubber foam speaker cushioning. The door module is in there, its a gray box. I bought one from ebay for around $100, installed and problem solved. Good luck.

Felipe Pr (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Felipe Pr
Disconnected the battery for about 30 mins., connected again, nothing happened.
Where is the pass. door module, how can I check it. Aren't any relays to check first?
The door module operates off of battery power directly (no relays) since it must operate with the ignition off.

Felipe Pr (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM

First, I like to thanks XK Racer, White XKR, Jag13 cat and Mr. CJ, All of you gave me great input into diagnosing the problem I have. After discarding many options, it seems now that the problem is the door module. This afternoon I removed the door module, a task that is a PITA due to how difficult it is. It is located above the stereo speaker in a very narrow space. The door panel and the speaker has to be removed (Mr. CJ, mine is a 97, yours is a 98 maybe your's is located behind the speaker but mine is way over it, attached with three bolts inside the door frame, there is no way to access it without the removal of the door panel).

Checking Ebay, I found a used one for $100 from a 97. My concern is, been a used one from a 15 year old car like mine, how long it will last. May be better to bite the bullet and buy it new, what's your opinion? How common is to these modules to fail?

Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

You never know with electronics. You might check to see if any kind of warranty is provided. I would suspect that the module is quite expensive new. I get a lot of my parts from 707 auto parts. They have always been honest, and I know they offer warranties. I just spoke with them today about some parts that they are sending my way. I know they have plenty of door modules available. Good luck.
As far as location, my door module was just hanging inside the door frame behind the speaker, maybe someone messed with it prior to my ownership, so it could possibly have a place to be properly mounted. Anyways, I installed the new one and it fixed my problem, so I was happy. Good luck to you.

Felipe Pr (02-14-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If it was not such a PITA I would suggest swapping it with the other side to be sure…

Felipe Pr (02-14-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

What was the condition of the one you removed? Did it appear to have water damage or anything? Physically, is the cover cracked, broken?

Felipe Pr (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I am a bit late coming back in on this one!!!.... My next suggestion would be the door module and like GUS has said (if you can be asked) is to swap it with the other side to make sure, they are not as common as seat modules to pack up but it is known.

I do have one in stock which I will sell to you for $100 delivered, all modules are located in the same place for all yesrs X100. Good luck

Felipe Pr (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by MR. CJ
As far as location, my door module was just hanging inside the door frame behind the speaker, maybe someone messed with it prior to my ownership, so it could possibly have a place to be properly mounted. Anyways, I installed the new one and it fixed my problem, so I was happy. Good luck to you.
Yes, it seems it happened before to the previous owner, replaced it and didn't want to finish the work properly. Guess allowing it hanging doesn't made any good to the piece.

Originally Posted by Gus - If it was not such a PITA I would suggest swapping it with the other side to be sure…
You're right, just common sense. I will take a big breath and will take it out from the driver's door and installed it into the passenger's, hoping it will work, will let it there and then install the new one at the driver.

Originally posted by H20boy - What was the condition of the one you removed? Did it appear to have water damage or anything? Physically, is the cover cracked, broken?
Looks OK, no water damage nor broken nor cracked.

Originally posted by XKRacer - I am a bit late coming back in on this one!!!.... My next suggestion would be the door module and like GUS has said (if you can be asked) is to swap it with the other side to make sure, they are not as common as seat modules to pack up but it is known.

I do have one in stock which I will sell to you for $100 delivered, all modules are located in the same place for all yesrs X100. Good luck
I have no time to do the swap until the weekend. Will do and let you know, if it works will take your offer, by the way, the part # is LJA2120AG, to be sure. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 PM

"On the road again..." Update - Checked the price for a new module at the local Jaguar dealer, $728, checked with one of the forum sponsors, new $400+. I did the swap yesterday and effectively, it did work. And...a friend had one module spare and offered for $50, installed it today. At first only a couple of functions worked, uhmm...disconnected the battery for a few minutes and connected again and Voila!, everything worked perfect. Satisfaction sensation, PRICELESS!!! Again, thanks to all of you guys that provided such great information.

Tomorrow morning will wash it and give some TLC and after that will take a good ride with the top down. Forecast is sunny, mid 80's, maybe will go to the beach for a couple of hours with my lady, have a couple of visit some friends and enjoy the good, simple life.

The following 2 users liked this post by Felipe Pr:
Alag (02-19-2012), Gus (02-18-2012)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No electrical at passenger door