XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No GPS DVD Update After 2004 ~ Really ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone Navigation Option

For anyone who may be interested in a standalone mobile navigator, I have spent a lot of time looking into the latest navigation apps for the iPhone, and have settled on the Navigon as the best of breed (better than Tom Tom, yes). It works well, and allows you to use one device for both phone and navigator, when you are renting cars a lot, which I do. The key device that makes it worthwhile is also getting the Griffin RoadTrip device, which plugs into the cigarette lighter, has a robust stalk mount, and not only charges the iPhone, but also plays both the navigator turn-by-turn instructions, as well as your itunes, and has controls to pause/play and track forward. It also makes it easy to remove the iPhone from the mount, should a call come in. Also, it has an audio-out plug, to directly plug into aux-in inputs on newer audio systems, to improve the sound. I spent last weekend travelling down the coast at Big Sur, while listening to the itunes and watching the navigator do its thing brilliantly. PS: Have no connection to Apple or Griffin - just a satisfied user and iPhone Geek.

10-29 update: Google just announced their turn-by-turn Google Maps program, available on their new Android phone from Verizon - free, no less. Everyone assumed they weren't going to make a turn-by-turn program, but they indicated they will probably make it for other smartphones, like iPhone. I would wait until this app becomes available, because the Google maps are superior to the Navigon maps, and using the Google voice and text search will automatically bring up the address, and, with a new Google navigator, would be the easiest and best way to go. Also, Google maps are constantly updated, which is not the case for Navigon. Google strikes again, and Garmin and Tom Tom are concerned, for sure.

Last edited by Aerojag; 10-29-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

whats an iphone...?

Old 10-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

My update:

E-mailed NAVTEQ and they said to contact Jaguar, I called Jaguar and they said call NAVTEQ. So I called them again but I am awaiting a response from that call. In the meantime I went to Jaguar’s web page and did the “Contact Us” and it ended up going to NAVTEQ who said that I needed to contact the local Jaguar dealership. I called them and they have no updates in fact they said the version that came with that system was outdated from the onset. And it gets better, I called Alpine and they said to contact NAVTEQ!!!!!! This is better than the roof hose and roof operation.

Still working on this and it sounds like I need to get past the e-mails, phone numbers to eliminate the finger pointing and address it with management associated with the problem. I will keep you posted.

In order to go further into this I do need additional information like the model years that have the Alpine system and the model of the unit.

Gus

Old 10-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

1997-2006, I only have jag part numbers for the modules, that won't help you, i'm sure.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Any information is better than none! Let me have what you have available.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Angry Years for the Alpine unit

According to San Jose Jaguar parts dept, the Alpine unit was used up to 2004 in the XJ, and up to 2006 in the XK (same jag part # LJD2442AB). As you probably already know, the last Alpine DVD was a 2002/03 disc.

If I had bought a 2006 XK, and found out that the disc was from 02/03, and was already obsolete, I would have been even more pissed than I am now about the whole rotten situation. At least my 2000 XKR came with a 98/99 disc, which was a reasonable setup, given the inevitable time delays involved in equipment implementation, although I would never have guessed that they (Jaguar, Navteq, and Alpine) would totally blow off all the owners in 03, and decide to make our expensive units obsolete.

Sounds like typical bottom-line pricing, regardless of consequences, in Jaguar deciding to switch to the Denso unit, but maybe I'm giving too much credit to the bottom-liners.

Last edited by Aerojag; 10-29-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerojag
According to San Jose Jaguar parts dept, the Alpine unit was used up to 2004 in the XJ, and up to 2006 in the XK (same jag part # LJD2442AB). As you probably already know, the last Alpine DVD was a 2002/03 disc.

If I had bought a 2006 XK, and found out that the disc was from 02/03, and was already obsolete, I would have been even more pissed than I am now about the whole rotten situation. At least my 2000 XK came with a 98/99 disc, which was a reasonable setup, given the inevitable time delays involved in equipment implementation, although I would never have guessed that they (Jaguar, Navteq, and Alpine) would totally blow off all the owners in 03, and decide to make our expensive units obsolete.

Sounds like typical bottom-line pricing, regardless of consequences, in Jaguar deciding to switch to the Denso unit, but maybe I'm giving too much credit to the bottom-liners.
Even more astounding is that the MSRP for that part number comes up as a whopping $4,350!!! For that you can get 20 or more Garvin's or Tom-Tom's!!

Doug

Old 10-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Veteran member

testpoint, I use this thing you sent me ALL THE TIME!

Attached Thumbnails No GPS DVD Update After 2004 ~ Really ?-nav2.jpg   No GPS DVD Update After 2004 ~ Really ?-nav1.jpg  
Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Default Parts catalog?

I'm a newbie here; how do I get a good parts catalog for my 2000 XKR - recommendations? Thanks.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Veteran member

Send me a PM aero (with your home email addy), i'll send you what testpoint gave me. It's a pdf, obviously a scan, but you read everything great.

Props to testpoint for first providing it to me, so I can beseech it upon you.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Never had a promps before.

Thanks, I think.

What was the other thing you presented me with? a duck with a hat . . . no . . . a pancake on his head.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
My update:

E-mailed NAVTEQ and they said to contact Jaguar, I called Jaguar and they said call NAVTEQ. So I called them again but I am awaiting a response from that call. In the meantime I went to Jaguar’s web page and did the “Contact Us” and it ended up going to NAVTEQ who said that I needed to contact the local Jaguar dealership. I called them and they have no updates in fact they said the version that came with that system was outdated from the onset. And it gets better, I called Alpine and they said to contact NAVTEQ!!!!!! This is better than the roof hose and roof operation.

Still working on this and it sounds like I need to get past the e-mails, phone numbers to eliminate the finger pointing and address it with management associated with the problem. I will keep you posted.

In order to go further into this I do need additional information like the model years that have the Alpine system and the model of the unit.

Gus
Gus do you think you should contact NAVTEQ?

Been there, done all of the above, have the T-shirt and the hat but NO update, just the same run around as you've received so far.
My local Jaguar Dealer (the only one in my state) had no idea what I was talking about when I called them about this updated DVD. They also told me that they don't change tranny fluid either because "It's sealed for life".

Old 10-31-2009, 04:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gus,I went thru the same Navteq/Alpine runaround which eventually ended up at the supervisor level at Jaguar customer service. Be ready for some VERY frustrating moments with them. My arguement has been about selling a 05 XKR with an already outdated disc from 2003, and then stating that they will no longer be making updates for the Alpine system. After many conversations with them, they concluded that there was NOTHING they could do to rectify this problem. Hope you have better luck then I did!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I guess the smart ones who were buying their cars new could have opted to not get the NAV package, especially if they had known these were already obsolete and would not be supported.

Doug

Old 10-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I just use my nav for the clock and use a portable Garmin Nuvi for navigation. Gives me navigation in my old RR too!!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

yah, that's alot for a DVD with 2003-2004 map features. The clock is cool...but not that cool. If it helps, I have been successful in making a backup DVD of the original that works in the unit. It can be done.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Anything new on update disc. Has Gus had any luck.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

No! No one will take responsibility for the update. I have not given up yet, they are about to set me on fire. To answer any ones question I have not given up yet!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
No! No one will take responsibility for the update. I have not given up yet, they are about to set me on fire. To answer any ones question I have not given up yet!

Give em hell Gus!!

Quick Reply: No GPS DVD Update After 2004 ~ Really ?