Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No responce with key on.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts
Default No responce with key on.

Helping a friend and last week he had a no start problem, starter would not do anything but click, cleaned connections and all was good.
Today he called and I figured it must be the starter, NO, this time nothing was responding. Put the key in and dinging, mileage indication and seat moves but no lights on the dash or gauge cluster.
Power at the ABS, 12.68V and same at ECM. I could not see a fuse that looked bad, but no tools other than the meter and OBDll, which would not connect.
What now coach!
His relays at the ECM don't line up like my 4.0, which his is also and the ECM case has large screws holding a case over it. His is 2003 and mine is a 2000, so I will have to get some advise on fuses and relays. I will look them up in the morning as it's been a long day for me.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

Last edited by cjd777; 04-20-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

WOW! As of this minute 276 views and no response, kind of what I a dealing with here, no sympathy. LOL.
Got all the fuse locations this morning and gathered a hand full and off I went for a morning of experimentation.
The drivers side window was down a bit as a result of disconnecting the ground on the trunk fire wall and cleaning it. So I open the door and the mileage shows, which it did yesterday, turn the key and the Jag Fairy had been over night and all was well, even the OBDll read P1111.
Took all my fun away. Can't be a fuse, so what are we looking at, a suck (sorry, stuck) relay. I don't know what to tell him as far as driving the car, will it happen at Wal-Mart on a rainy day?
I will update as I'm sure it will reappear, but I am better prepared this time.

Wayne

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Please send that Jag Fairy to our house after you're done with her. I need some fairy dust applied to Jan's XK8's ZF. Maybe we should mix some of it into the fresh ATF the next time we do a drain-and-fill....

Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't remember when you said you last replaced the battery, but it may be a cell in the battery going bad. It may also be a key issue. Next time it does this you might try a different key to see if the key might be bad? Other than that just keep a pint of Scotch in the boot for the Jag Fairy, and hope it doesn't happen again.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Thinking out loud ...... I wonder if it's a problem with the transponder ring on the ignition switch 'handshaking' with the chip in the key.

Graham

Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Graham, that may be a possibility on the key, as he was gone and I'm not sure if the key his wife gave me was the same. I will check and get back.
Thanks.

Wayne

Old 04-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rick L, last battery change, a few weeks ago, not a good install, didn't clean anything.
That is taken care of, different problem here.
Graham, just checked and the key was the same as all times and is working just fine right now, so back to square one.
I think I saw were a relay was the cause of a XJ series doing something like this, More reading.

Wayne

The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member

More thought on this. If it is a relay that won't close, which is kind of what it was designed to do. Which one would I be looking for in the cluster.
There are several and is there one that has single control over the starting system, ignition switch and dash lights. It might just be one that is in line before the others.
The FOB works, so the security systems would be out, the steering moves, just nothing on the dash lights up other than the mileage when you open the door.
Until it happens again, no way to be sure, but if someone knows the wiring diagram and can lead me to one or two relays, that would save me hours.
I plan to just change the culprits and see what happens or doesn't in this case.
thanks again for any help. My trouble is all is working now and I don't want to wish him any bad luck.
Wayne

Old 04-22-2016, 04:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Ignition relays sequentially look like R7 (brown) in the luggage compartment fuse box, R7 (brown) in the engine compartment fuse box LH side then the one in the driver's side fascia fuse box.

Did you check the main battery cable connections in the luggage compartment junction box?

Graham

Old 04-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Graham, Thanks for the thoughts.
I took the cables off all the connections in the rear apart, lucky he has the small tire, but I still had to climb in there, did the one on the right of the battery and the ones at the ECM and ABS boxes.
As recommended I will get a R7 and be ready for the eventual no go.
I would like to know how to put a relay to test, but that is something that would be hard to determine if they work under stress. Time to Google check a relay, might want to put the fire department on stand by.

Wayne

Old 04-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

OK, easy enough and I see you can get the click but still not working, so I won't get fooled by that. I told my buddy to stop by a Jaguar dealer and pick a brown one up in his travels. He does a lot of that. I'm sure they have them at Autozone just couldn't find a listing and I do get a little uneasy anytime I go in there and ask for something for the Triumphs and they ask "who makes that".We shall see.Wayne