XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start condition - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start condition - suggestions?

I left my 2001 XKR convertible in the garage for two weeks while on a long vacation.

When I got home, I was a little concerned about the battery - it being over four years old - but I need not to have worried.

It cranked. And cranked. And after about 10 seconds, the "ASC not available" and "Traction Control not available" began to cycle as the system apparently tried to start in safe mode.

Waited. Tried again. Same result. Waited 12 hours, tried again with same results. (That battery is a monster). Seems like no gas is getting to the system. The tank is below 1/4, but not real low.

Not sure what to do at this point. No codes, plenty of battery left. Ideas?

Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Atlanta
I left my 2001 XKR convertible in the garage for two weeks while on a long vacation.

When I got home, I was a little concerned about the battery - it being over four years old - but I need not to have worried.

It cranked. And cranked. And after about 10 seconds, the "ASC not available" and "Traction Control not available" began to cycle as the system apparently tried to start in safe mode.

Waited. Tried again. Same result. Waited 12 hours, tried again with same results. (That battery is a monster). Seems like no gas is getting to the system. The tank is below 1/4, but not real low.

Not sure what to do at this point. No codes, plenty of battery left. Ideas?
Possibly/probably the Main Fuel Pump. Best to get a Fuel Pressure Tester and connect it to the Fuel Rail at the Schrader Valve on the front of the Left Fuel Rail (XKR).

Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default No Start Condition

Dave in Atlanta: In the Sticky Notes above in DIY Maintenance Section, there is a topic of "Car Won't Start" that will give you a number of suggestions.When the ignition switch is engaged, can you hear the fuel pump engage for a few seconds prior to the engine turning over? There are some posts which reference a bad fuel pump operation after a vehicle has been setting for a while.Also, while having someone crank the vehicle, you may want to check the schrader valve on the fuel rail (looks like a tire air valve, probably with a black cover screwed over the valve itself) to determine if fuel is reaching the fuel rail (be careful, if fuel is reaching the fuel rail, fuel will be sprayed while depressing the valve stem).As the sticky states, if you have fuel and spark, one should have fire.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile And a miracle occurs!!!

Thanks to those who posted some great technical suggestions for my no-start condition. Unfortunately, I'm not quite that "hands on" with my Jag.

I did call my local independent Jag guy for any advice before I had it towed there. He suggested I try starting it with the accelerator pedal to the floor - said it works on some years.

It didn't seem to work. The cranking without any result just continued. After doing so, I thought I'd give it one more shot, and tried to start it "normally" (foot off the pedal) and it stumbled once! Progress!

On the second try, it caught and seems to be fine...no codes, starts normally, like nothing happened.

I have no idea what two weeks of sitting and an 11 year old fuel pump might have to do with this, but I am declaring victory and moving on.

Thanks again to those who made suggestions.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Atlanta
Thanks to those who posted some great technical suggestions for my no-start condition. Unfortunately, I'm not quite that "hands on" with my Jag.

I did call my local independent Jag guy for any advice before I had it towed there. He suggested I try starting it with the accelerator pedal to the floor - said it works on some years.

It didn't seem to work. The cranking without any result just continued. After doing so, I thought I'd give it one more shot, and tried to start it "normally" (foot off the pedal) and it stumbled once! Progress!

On the second try, it caught and seems to be fine...no codes, starts normally, like nothing happened.

I have no idea what two weeks of sitting and an 11 year old fuel pump might have to do with this, but I am declaring victory and moving on.

Thanks again to those who made suggestions.

There has been a fair amont of anedotal evidence that the older fuel pumps sometmes fail to start after sitting a while. I may be having a similar situation with my secondary fuel pump (which normally only engages on heavy throttle on the XKR). Once I get it out i will do some analysis on it and see it I can prove anything.

Theortically, your secondary pump should run if your primary is out, but it is possible your secondary is not working. I am starting to beleive there are a lot of 2001 era XKRs with this problem, with owners not even aware.

Hopefully I'll know more when I dig further into this.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 10-30-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Sounds like it could have been bore wash.
I don't suppose you had it out side before you left and moved it the few yards into the garage at the last minute?