Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noises I Really Do Not Like!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Noises I Really Do Not Like!

Hey Lads,

So as I was driving around yesterday I began to hear engine noises that put a lump in my throat.

From before and like many XK8 owners, a lot of us experience some chatter after initial startup for a couple of seconds. I was told by most that this was a normal thing for the older cars and many guys are trying oil changes and other things to calm it down. The theory is that it is the VVT system losing oil pressure when the car sits and with my car, that also seemed to be the case. I was made aware that problems with cam chains, tensioners, etc were only on pre 2003 cars and my car is a 2003.

So I am pulling onto my street and I hear a kind of clattering noise from the engine at anything above idle. It would also do it if I turned the steering wheel harder left or right which is kinda weird. I don't even know where to begin to look into this. I guess I have to start the car again and discover what the heck is going on here but I can say that I am hesitant about even doing that. It was definitely a clattering sound from the engine area and it sounded like it could be a loose cam-chain for sure. At idle it was quiet but that could also be normal for a loose cam chain

So I had already planned to tear the front end down anyway to investigate the VVT system. I have a small leak from one of my cam covers anyway so it was to be a part of the larger "front of engine" project.

Anyone else ever experience the same symptoms?
I know this is leading to tearing the front of the engine down regardless but just trying to collect some knowledge prior to digging in

Old 09-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

I have read that the metal tensioners have a ratcheting cam that locks to maintain position and that one or two have failed. I have no direct experience of this, but I suppose it's possible.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Many are more expert and knowledgeable than me but could it be the bearing in the power steering pump ? If you loosen off the serpentine belt, it's a fairly easy one to check !

Old 09-09-2017, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I was going to say the same, check the accessories first. Pop the belt loose, then spin the accessories and idler/tensioner by hand. I suppose you can probably start the engine without the belt (so no water pump!) for a short bit to see if you hear the same.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

My XJR has 95k and my XKR has 105k. I've replaced all 4 idler/tensioner idler bearings on both cars. The bearings are super cheap and easy to do. I've also had to do a supercharger rebuild on my XJR, water pumps on both cars, and the PS pump on the XKR.

Check all belt drive accessories and if you have no glaring errors, consider starting the car beltless to diagnose if the sound is indeed NOT the belt drive.

At one point my XKR's PS pump was making weird noises because somehow the bolts were kind of loose on the pulley. I remember a TSB about that issue. Either way, get checking some stuff methodically .

Old 09-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Earlier this year I convinced myself that I'd got a noise that was engine related , possibly con rods, and definitely from the top end. Turned out to be one of the cats was rattling. Be certain where it is coming from before you start to fix it otherwise it will cost a fortune all for nothing

Old 09-09-2017, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

+1 on idler pulley or disintegrating belt. I've heard some really scary noises from bad upper control arm bushes (The left right made me think of that).

John

Old 09-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I have 2 videos on this link for noise that is caused by the belt tensioner. See if it the same noise.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

To check your VVT with the engine at idle place your hand on one of the VVT and rev the engine just a little for a moment. When you do that you will feel and hear the VVT click (adjust) then do it to the other side and see what you come up with.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (09-09-2017)