Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a nice sunday afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Not a nice sunday afternoon

Hello guys!

Wanted to clean the car today, so went out to start it.
Engine went to 400 rpms 1 second then dies.
After that tried to turn the starter in a small spurt, weird sound turned off instantly. Sounded like no compression in engine, or like the starter not really engaging. But why did the engine stop if it is only the starter?

Worryingly this sounds like chain to me. Had the secondaries changed when I bought the car. Think I will take off one of the camlids and have a look.

Let's say as a worst case the chain has broken. Is there a chance the engine has survived, since it never really started? Or is the engine doomed? If the chain has broken, how do I check the health of the engine? Not sure if I'd like to spend money on new chains and the lot, if the engine shot.

Cheers, Jarle

Old 03-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Sounds more like a flooding/cylinder wash which means the car has lost compression.

Two suggestions:

Holding the throttle to the floor cuts off the fuel while starting. Crank with the throttle to the floor for 4 or 5 sessions of 60 seconds each with a couple minutes of starter cool down time between. That causes the oil pump to distribute oil to the dry cylinder walls. After several of those try starting normally.

Spraying oil through the spark plug holes will increase compression and the car will start. See Step 7 of this link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=30792

Old 03-21-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by test point
Sounds more like a flooding/cylinder wash which means the car has lost compression.

Two suggestions:

Holding the throttle to the floor cuts off the fuel while starting. Crank with the throttle to the floor for 4 or 5 sessions of 60 seconds each with a couple minutes of starter cool down time between. That causes the oil pump to distribute oil to the dry cylinder walls. After several of those try starting normally.

Spraying oil through the spark plug holes will increase compression and the car will start. See Step 7 of this link:

OK, this could be. Took of the left camlid, and the chains looks fine. Is it possible that one primary chain is OK and the other is shot? Just wondering wether I should dare try to start it, or if I should take off the other lid to check as well.

If one of the chains have broken, I would expect some nasty sounds, but can't hear any of that.

Cheers, Jarle

If one chai

Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by test point

Two suggestions:

Hey guys!

Gus and Test, you where right. It was the cylinder wash issue.
After following your recipy it started just fine. And sounds great.

Will Jaguar reprogram the car as a service? Is it possible to fix it?
Or do I just have to make sure not to use the Jag for short trips.
I use to work everyday, so the last option doesn't really work for me.

Thanks guys!

On the positiv note I got a bit familiar with the car today. Which is a good thing.

Cheers, Jarle

Old 03-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

. I would like to ask a few questions. Did the car start at all? I got the impression that it did and at idle around 400rpm and then it died? That does not sound like washed cylinders to me. Did you hear any clattering in the engine? You have many other causes so do not think it is DOOM yet.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagNor
Hey guys!

Gus and Test, you where right. It was the cylinder wash issue.
After following your recipy it started just fine. And sounds great.

Will Jaguar reprogram the car as a service? Is it possible to fix it?
Or do I just have to make sure not to use the Jag for short trips.
I use to work everyday, so the last option doesn't really work for me.

Thanks guys!

On the positiv note I got a bit familiar with the car today. Which is a good thing.

Cheers, Jarle
I think you need to look at this http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNikasilSulfur.htm and then ask your questions. This is the last part of my venture and it pulls it all together

Old 03-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
. I would like to ask a few questions. Did the car start at all? I got the impression that it did and at idle around 400rpm and then it died? That does not sound like washed cylinders to me. Did you hear any clattering in the engine? You have many other causes so do not think it is DOOM yet.
Gus, it just cathced for a second, reached 400 rpms and died. Never did idle.

No unusual sounds, apart from that it sounded to be low on compression.

The solution was to run it a while with the pedal to the floor. Repeat that two or three times. Then I heard it started to catch again. I then tried to start it normally, and then it worked.

Been out for a spin now, engine seems to work just fine.

Cheers, Jarle

Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
I think you need to look at this http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNikasilSulfur.htm and then ask your questions. This is the last part of my venture and it pulls it all together
I don't think that fuels in Norway ever had sulphur. My Maserati has a Nikkasil engine as well without any issues. I will give Jaguar a call tomorrow, to check how many problems they've had here with the Nikkasil engines.

I hope that it just is wash issue ofcourse.

Cheers, Jarle

Old 03-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

If it is just a wash issue all you need to do is see about the programming, regular oil changes and clean gas or a gas additive every now and then. From what I found out keeping the injectors clean is a big part of the problem.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagNor
Gus, it just cathced for a second, reached 400 rpms and died. Never did idle.

No unusual sounds, apart from that it sounded to be low on compression.

The solution was to run it a while with the pedal to the floor. Repeat that two or three times. Then I heard it started to catch again. I then tried to start it normally, and then it worked.

Been out for a spin now, engine seems to work just fine.

Cheers, Jarle
You are fine! Wash the car and enjoy the day…….. I will think about you I am at the office today.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
You are fine! Wash the car and enjoy the day…….. I will think about you I am at the office today.
Thanks Gus, will call Jaguar up tomorrow, ask them to reprogram the ECM.

Have a nice evening everybody, appreciate the help.

Cheers, Jarle