XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD scanner causes christmas lighting on dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 10:49 AM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default OBD scanner causes christmas lighting on dash

So I've been reading across several forum threads how some people have experienced this similar effect. When plugging in the code reader/s either multiple times, or in my case leaving it in while driving, all the warnings associated with brakes appear. ABS, low brake fluid, ASC, RP, etc and etc..... Does anyone know why this occurs? Is it a compatibility issue because we all don't have Jag hardware/software instruments? Just a curious mind wants to know. (mine is just a cheapie code reader)

Old 08-24-2018, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,579 Likes on 945 Posts

that beats my experiences with 3 budget readers. I couldn't even get them to connect at all. Very frustrating, as they had no problem connecting to our 2012 Ford Focus. Something must be wrong with my reader plug in or associated wiring, because I haven't read of anyone else having a connectivity issue.

Out of desperation, I bought an icarsoft LR V-1 which has a specific Land Rover / Jaguar interface, as well as a generic OBD-II mode. It DOES connect in the LR / Jag mode, but not the OBD-II mode. ??? Go figure.

Z

Old 08-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
Out of desperation, I bought an icarsoft LR V-1 which has a specific Land Rover / Jaguar interface, as well as a generic OBD-II mode. It DOES connect in the LR / Jag mode, but not the OBD-II mode. ??? Go figure.
FWIW, OBDII is available only over the old ISO-9141 "serial" bus. Check if there is an option to force this protocol. The car also has CAN and SCP. but OBDII is not available over these protocols.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:12 AM

that beats my experiences with 3 budget readers. I couldn't even get them to connect at all. Very frustrating, as they had no problem connecting to our 2012 Ford Focus. Something must be wrong with my reader plug in or associated wiring, because I haven't read of anyone else having a connectivity issue.

Out of desperation, I bought an icarsoft LR V-1 which has a specific Land Rover / Jaguar interface, as well as a generic OBD-II mode. It DOES connect in the LR / Jag mode, but not the OBD-II mode. ??? Go figure. Z
Re para 2 Do you still get to read all the codes albeit through the LR/Jag mode? I was thinking of purchasing this same code reader

Old 08-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Out of desperation, I bought an icarsoft LR V-1 which has a specific Land Rover / Jaguar interface, as well as a generic OBD-II mode. It DOES connect in the LR / Jag mode, but not the OBD-II mode. ??? Go figure. Z
Sorry meant to include a comment for para 1. There was an extensive thread I read about a poor chap who couldn't get any codes on his budget reader from his Jag although it worked on all his other vehicles. He said it would power up but not read anything. Car drove fine. took 2 years to finally track it to a faulty ECM. Don't think that would be the case for you though as you can read codes through the Jag reader mode. It is odd that your budget readers don't work though. I have had a couple and they worked fine on my XK. Does your icarsoft read fuel trims?

Old 08-24-2018, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,579 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by alanroberts50
Sorry meant to include a comment for para 1. There was an extensive thread I read about a poor chap who couldn't get any codes on his budget reader from his Jag although it worked on all his other vehicles. He said it would power up but not read anything. Car drove fine. took 2 years to finally track it to a faulty ECM. Don't think that would be the case for you though as you can read codes through the Jag reader mode. It is odd that your budget readers don't work though. I have had a couple and they worked fine on my XK. Does your icarsoft read fuel trims?
yes it will read the trims, short term, long term, and the downstream trims too. Yes, it's odd, but I must admit that my inexperience using the other readers is likely impacting the results.

Originally Posted by alanroberts50
Re para 2 Do you still get to read all the codes albeit through the LR/Jag mode? I was thinking of purchasing this same code reader
its a mixed bag. It isn't reading the all suspension module data, and randomly it won't give any values for the module selected when I manually select individual data points. It's more reliable when I let the reader automatically retrieve every data point. I don't think it's a substitute for the dealer level diagnostics, but at only about $100 I didn't expect it to do everything either.

Some of the info displayed via the engine module is non-sensical. Like the engine temperature is not actually 275 F degrees as the icsrsoft is displaying when in the engine module mode. However, when in the transmission module mode, the engine temperature is accurate, usually around 190 to 195 F.. I have no idea what is going on with that mismatch of information.

Z

so there are some questions I have that can't be resolved. I bought the icarsoft LR V1, there is a icarsoft LR V2 for about $50 more, but from what I could find out, it's enhanced capabilities have more to do with the newer LR / Jaguar models than being better for my old 2002 XKR.

I probably should have my reader terminal in the car checked out for any faults, but that keeps getting pushed to the end of the to do list.