XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

OBDII Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Muncie6spd
I feel like replacing the O rings on the breather tube between the valve cover and air intake may have helped. It does run better now than it did before. I am trying to read the fuel trims using the iCarsoft tool but haven't been able to so far. I downloaded the User Manual this morning so hopefully that will help.
Originally Posted by fmertz
Check if there is an OBDII module in the scan tool. My Foxwell tool has a separate icon for it. The trims are standard, not Jaguar-specific.
The opening screen of the LR-1 has several options. Using the OBS-II option, my car will NEVER connect. But using the diagnostic option (in the opening screen of options) , the car will connect to the reader every time.

then choose automatic scan. If the the manual scan option is chosen, again, there doesn't seem to be much help. After the automatic scan is finished ( 18 of 18 items), then choose which module you want , i.e. Engine, or transmission or ABS, etc.

the engine option will show about 100+ items, if you don't get a reading on the first fuel trim display (as I never do), just keep scrolling and the trip numbers will come up again a few lines later, and are always displayed properly, at least on my '02.

I know having to figure all this out is maddening, and should not be happening to good people like us !!!! But, as I mentioned, if you explore the LR-1 enough, you will be able to get many diagnostic functions. But never in a straightforward way.

on the other hand, that little X-60 device that was discussed several weeks ago, works better at giving the basic engine data in a simple format. Too bad the screen is so small for that type of use. I just have mine set to display the oil temperature readings on the big screen, and the coolant temperature on one of the small displays. Works for me.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,514 Likes on 1,061 Posts

FWIW, OBDII is only available over the ISO-9141 protocol. See if you can force the scan tool to use this protocol. Maybe the scan tool is getting confused as there are functional CAN and SCP networks as well, but OBDII is not offered over those.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Haven't had occasion to use my new icarsoft except to check for codes. none. However my little X60 for around $30 gives fuel trims constantly if set for that and many other things, But it is way small and difficult for me to use. Pretty much use it for voltage and engine temp. and trip distance. Now I have to figure out how to reset speed alarm which is set a 70. Actually a pretty amazing little tool.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check if there is an OBDII module in the scan tool. My Foxwell tool has a separate icon for it. The trims are standard, not Jaguar-specific.
It does have the OBDII option, when I choose that option I get a Link failure message.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by zray
The opening screen of the LR-1 has several options. Using the OBS-II option, my car will NEVER connect. But using the diagnostic option (in the opening screen of options) , the car will connect to the reader every time.

then choose automatic scan. If the the manual scan option is chosen, again, there doesn't seem to be much help. After the automatic scan is finished ( 18 of 18 items), then choose which module you want , i.e. Engine, or transmission or ABS, etc.

the engine option will show about 100+ items, if you don't get a reading on the first fuel trim display (as I never do), just keep scrolling and the trip numbers will come up again a few lines later, and are always displayed properly, at least on my '02.

I know having to figure all this out is maddening, and should not be happening to good people like us !!!! But, as I mentioned, if you explore the LR-1 enough, you will be able to get many diagnostic functions. But never in a straightforward way.

on the other hand, that little X-60 device that was discussed several weeks ago, works better at giving the basic engine data in a simple format. Too bad the screen is so small for that type of use. I just have mine set to display the oil temperature readings on the big screen, and the coolant temperature on one of the small displays. Works for me.
Thanks Zray, that did it, using the diagnostic option first I was able to connect and read any of the options available on the LR-1. What a quirky little device this is. I had already asked to return it to Amazon and received a return authorization from them due to the "Link failure" message I got when trying to use the OBDII option on the main screen. Now I'm not sure if I should keep it or try to find a device that is easier to work with.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,009 Posts

FWIW, OBDII is only available over the ISO-9141 protocol. See if you can force the scan tool to use this protocol. Maybe the scan tool is getting confused as there are functional CAN and SCP networks as well, but OBDII is not offered over those.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
so far I have not found a way to choose which protocol is being used. I'll experiment some more and report back if I have any success in that effort.

Originally Posted by Muncie6spd
".........Now I'm not sure if I should keep it or try to find a device that is easier to work with.

if you find one you think has more functionality (and under $300) please let me know. I'm not going to ditch the $100 LR-1 until I have something better in hand.

Z

Old 05-09-2019, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I tried the e-mail assistance route with iCarsoft more than three years ago after I purchased my scanner on Amazon. While I eventually got a response, it was basically "sorry, we cannot help you because we only have one engineer and he is busy somewhere out in the field and we do not know when we will see him again"....

Let us know if they actually attempt to help you. But I am not holding my breath....
Amazingly I received a response from iCarsoft today with a link to the User Manual. Maybe they've gotten better at support.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Received 92 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought the iCarsoft LR V1.0 a few months ago as well. At first the unit would only interrogate 3 of the 7 or 8 modules
available. In other words it could look at and report back on only some of the modules. The others said something like “unavailable” or some such thing. I was quite disappointed bc this is supposed to be a Jag specific (and LR) machine.

Here is the good part though. Since then I have put about 1000 miles on the car. Gradually I noticed the more I drove it the more modules were connecting with the LR V1.0. Now it reads all the modules and reports any codes.

I will say over that time period I replaced a seven year old battery, did the battery reset procedure, and put the car through the Jag specific “drive cycle” so those may have helped get everything talking and working together as well.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,514 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Just to be sure, have you tried to engage the whole "update" process, in case somehow there is new software available? It looks like these device have a memory card and likely come with a USB reader for a PC.

For my Foxwell NT510 device, you have to install a full (free) client application on Windows 10, and then register with Foxwell as a user with the device serial number. Once all of that works, the memory card can be plugged in the PC and the software updated if a new version is available. It is also possible to buy additional modules to supplement the reader with additional brands on the same hardware (VW/Audi, GM, etc.).

FWIW, the Foxwell device also has a generic OBDII module. For my '03, it scans for OBDII data over all protocols, one by one (CAN, SCP, etc.). You can also feel/hear a small relay clicking every time a protocol switches over. Eventually, it settles on ISO-9141 and gets to a menu of OBDII options (read codes, freeze frame, etc.). There does not seem to be an option to "force" ISO-9141 either...