XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Odometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer issue

I recently (and stupidly) let the battery run flat on my 2002 XK8 4.0. I had to remove and recharge the battery, and since then I've had a few issues with the instrument panel.

The first I noticed was the temperature gauge - it had become somewhat erratic.

The next issue I noticed a few weeks later (and which is more concerning) is the odometer. It's registering roughly four miles for everyone 1 mile I drive. I only picked this up when it claimed my fuel economy was 60+ mpg - if only!

I've had it with two authorised Jaguar garages now. The first had it for a week and got nowhere, the second for two weeks, claiming to have a new instrument cluster pack on order but with no estimated time of arrival.

I wondered if anyone had any experience of this issue, and could offer any advice? In particular, are there any (UK) services that might be able to provide a used replacement instrument pack or refurbish the existing one?

Failing that, are there any recommendations for jaguar service centres in central or south-east London? My experience to date has not been good!

Thanks in advance,

Tristram
Jaguar XK8 2002 4.0,
Borough, London

Old 04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
WGS
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that 4:1 ratio, it sounds as though the computer has switched from gallons to liters. That's my comment without really knowing anything about the computer or electronics of the automobile.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:56 AM

See what you mean, but the actual odometer is going up quickly. Before I even get to the end of my road, it will have clicked over a mile, and a journey I know is about 20 miles put close to 80 on the clock. So it's the odometer that is the source of the problem. I mention the fuel consumption only because it's how I first noticed the issue.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 AM

Not solved it yet, but from investigations, these look like specific parts that have to be programmed and calibrated by Jaguar, so no chance of getting a second-hand one to correct the problem. Have the part on back order now, and will post again if it doesn't fix the issue.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by tristramcf
Not solved it yet, but from investigations, these look like specific parts that have to be programmed and calibrated by Jaguar, so no chance of getting a second-hand one to correct the problem. Have the part on back order now, and will post again if it doesn't fix the issue.
That's not completely true.

The Instrument Pack has be to programmed by the Jaguar Dealer or an independent with similar facilities. Used Instrument Packs in the correct series can be reprogrammed. Without going into the details of checking the numbers, generally speaking one from another 2002 XK8 could be reprogrammed.

Buying a new IP from the Dealer is the easy way to solve the issue but is going to be hugely expensive. Your last line 'if it doesn't fix the issue' doesn't inspire great confidence in the Dealer diagnosis.

Graham

Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,990 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Originally Posted by tristramcf
Originally Posted by GGG
That's not completely true.

The Instrument Pack has be to programmed by the Jaguar Dealer or an independent with similar facilities. Used Instrument Packs in the correct series can be reprogrammed. Without going into the details of checking the numbers, generally speaking one from another 2002 XK8 could be reprogrammed.

Buying a new IP from the Dealer is the easy way to solve the issue but is going to be hugely expensive. Your last line 'if it doesn't fix the issue' doesn't inspire great confidence in the Dealer diagnosis.

Graham
Actually a used instrument cluster with the same part number and VCATS code (see the label under the carpet in the trunk) would work without any reprogramming whatsoever (but will have the mileage reading from the donor car). This is not speculation...I have done it. If the numbers match, even a cluster from an XJ donor will work.