XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Car Phone upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 02:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OEM Car Phone upgrade?

Hi all, apologies if this is a frequently asked question. My XKR has the original Motorola carphone handset and I'm wondering what my options are to upgrade it? I really don't want to replace the GPS or stereo, because that feels like buying a Constable, throwing away the picture and putting a Picasso in the frame. My ideal would be a Bluetooth module that plugs into the RJ45 socket in place of the curly lead on the original handset - but I've no idea if the wiring supports that. Next best would be to tap into the existing wiring in the centre console to do the same.

Its been suggested that I could get a second sim for my usual phone, but according to Vodafone's web site they don't do that any more because modern cars have Bluetooth. Any other suggestions?

Old 02-02-2015, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Both Motorola and Parrot have units that wire to the OEM phone connections under the console. The Parrot unit is CK 3000 Blue tooth and a discussion can be found here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-jag-117505/

Several threads on the Motorola T605 unit. Start here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stalled-42896/

There is now a Motorola TK30. Google that.

Then there the stand-alone devices that are a lot easier but certainly not OEM by any means: Portable Mini Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Microphone for Samsung iPhone PC Laptop | eBay

The following users liked this post:
SteveGrr (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 06:54 AM
Default Thanks, I've ordered a Parrot CK3100

Am I right in thinking that the CK3100 kit will contain everything I need to tap into the wiring in the centre console? I've got myself confused looking at Nexxia's ISO adaptor cables. Buy SOT-098 Jaguar Alpine ISO Parrot Adaptor Cable online at Nexxia

I'm at work at the moment so I can't start dismantling the console to see what is under the cover and not sure if I should be ordering an adaptor as well to make life easier.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Early models had a 10 Way telephone harness connector but on your 2003, you should find a yellow 14 Way telephone connector under the console.

This could save you a lot of time working out the pinouts:

Pin Number.pdf

If you don't have sufficient posts to be able to download the PDF from the forum, here's a direct link to it on my MediaFire account:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/j1z7s0...Pin_Number.pdf

The same yellow 14 Way connector is used for a number of harness connections on the XK8 and X308. I got a connector plug from a breaker to avoid having the cut the telephone harness on a 2001. Harness butchery for upgrades is a particular rant of mine!

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 02-02-2015 at 07:28 AM.
SteveGrr (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 02:09 PM

Thanks Graham. I presume the harness adaptor I linked to above avoids the need to cut wires? It should be plug and play, although quite expensive (especially if I need both the kit and the extension lead).

I think I will wait for the unit to arrive tomorrow and then take a look at the instructions and what is lurking in the console.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:53 PM
GGG

Steve,

It looks like the Nexxia Autoleads should be a direct plug in.

This is the yellow 14 Way harness under the Console on a 2001:

OEM Car Phone upgrade?-06-sony-harness-disconnected.jpg

Here's the plug I got from the breaker (Eurojag in Darlington) with approximately 6 inches of each lead left available for connecting. It came out of the engine bay of an X308.

OEM Car Phone upgrade?-07-testing-parrot-01.jpg

This was a few years ago and I was fitting the then current Parrot CK3100.

Graham

SteveGrr (02-03-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 03:56 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveGrr
I really don't want to replace the GPS or stereo, because that feels like buying a Constable, throwing away the picture and putting a Picasso in the frame. ?
These cars are fun, but not Picassos. Rip out that old GPS and put in something modern that can function.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:19 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by scottatl
These cars are fun, but not Picassos. Rip out that old GPS and put in something modern that can function.
Philistine! ( )

You have a good point.

The greatest changes to automobiles (as in other aspects of our lives) in the past ten years have been in technology. A ten year old car is definitely lagging behind when it comes to telephone and Sat Nav - a twenty year old car is becoming quaint.

Beautiful as the XK8 is to look at and to drive, outdated technology will eventually cause most owners to use them less and less.

Unobtrusive upgrades are the way to go.

Graham

Old 02-03-2015, 06:50 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Early models had a 10 Way telephone harness connector but on your 2003, you should find a yellow 14 Way telephone connector under the console.

Graham
I think the 2003 is going to have an 18 way connector.

WhiteXKR found a source for those here http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.ph.../?k=:::1700750

Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 AM

OK, I've taken a look and it is a 14 way connector like your photo.

With the wiring that came with the Parrot and the wiring that came with the Nexxia kit, I have a heck of a lot of wires and not sure where to stick them. Certainly not the ten minute job I was hoping to be able to do in my lunch hour.

Just a quick sanity check for now; is everything achieved by inserting the Nexxia adaptor in line with the 14 way connector or do I also need to get the stereo out and intercept connections there too? I seem to have way too many connector blocks in new pieces of loom at the moment, most of which don't match anything in the console. I'm starting to think I got the wrong Nexxia kit. It has the 14 way plugs but nothing else matches.

If I do also need to take the radio out can anyone point me to instructions how to do that and remove the whole of the console rather than just the lid? Thanks!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:11 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Norri
I think the 2003 is going to have an 18 way connector........
OK, I've taken a look and it is a 14 way connector like your photo......
2003 was changeover year in the UK from fixed GSM telephone to Bluetooth so a 2003MY could be prewired for either standard.

.... is everything achieved by inserting the Nexxia adaptor in line with the 14 way connector or do I also need to get the stereo out and intercept connections there too? I seem to have way too many connector blocks in new pieces of loom at the moment, most of which don't match anything in the console. .....
I certainly took the radio and console out to fit my Parrot CK3100 because there were connections to the radio and I had to route the microphone. Your later Parrot could be different.

OEM Car Phone upgrade?-05-console-radio-removed.jpg

It's not difficult to remove the console and radio but more of a Saturday morning job than a lunch hour. How far have you got?

Graham

Old 02-04-2015, 09:20 AM
GGG

Here's the JTIS procedure for removing the veneer Finisher Panel and Floor Console:

JTIS - XK8 Floor Console Finish Panel.pdf

JTIS - XK8 Floor Console.pdf

Once the Console is out, you can see the radio fixing screws around the perimeter.

Graham

Old 02-04-2015, 12:39 PM

Hi Graham, I got as far as taking the lid off the console and the phone tray out and having a look at what was underneath. My thinking was that the wiring for the OEM phone must have been sufficient to provide power, carry audio and mute the radio so maybe all the necessary signals were in that one 14 pin connector.

I've found a
on how to remove the entire centre console and radio/switch panel.

With the Nexxia connector I had assumed I had the "upgraded" amplified Alpine sound system because the dealer assured me that the car was the end of the production run where Jaguar fully loaded it with all the upgrades and the speakers were Alpine branded. Therefore I bought the SOT-098 kit

It may be the case that I should have bought the SOT-974 non-amplified kit but I guess i will have to take the radio out to check and I'm away this weekend. Something to do on Valentines Day I suppose

This is the Parrot CK3100 kit, so you can see why I'm thinking I have a lot of wires and connections, but the Nexxia kit doesn't replace the leads that came with the Parrot because the connections don't plug into the blue box.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:26 PM
GGG

You've got a slightly later version of the model I fitted:

I used a multiblock connector strip to sort out all the connections on test before routing them under the console. It was reasonably easy as all the leads were labelled. Decide where and how you want to fix the control box and the mute unit and work backwards from there.

Initially I installed the head unit on the left of the dash but soon moved it to the centre.

The unit below it is an Indago Sat Nav/Speed Camera detector.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails OEM Car Phone upgrade?-07-testing-parrot-01.jpg   OEM Car Phone upgrade?-10-indago-parrot-installation.jpg  
Old 02-05-2015, 02:46 AM

Your cockpit looks very much like mine Graham, so I'm not sure if I have the "amplified Alpine" or base sound system. If there is an amplifier, I'm not sure where it would be located. I've attached a few photos in the hope that someone can tell me which version it is for definite so that I can as Nexxia to swop the SOT leads if I have the wrong one.

The door speakers have Alpine branding.

No amplifier in the boot, just the CD auto changer and navigation system.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:39 AM
GGG

That was my 2001 XK8 Coupe which had the standard audio system. Unfortunately you can't tell Standard or Premium just by looking at the head unit.

I've never had any reason to look for the Alpine Premium Sound system amplifier but I think it's mounted above the CD player and Nav Unit where fitted. You'd have to take the trim panel out to see it.

If you look behind the triangular Alpine door speaker grilles and find speakers there, it's a good bet you have an OE Premium Sound System fitted and not a PO modification.

Any Jaguar Dealer can look up the original build specification for your vehicle on the Direct Dealer Warranty System. This will tell for certain if you have the OE Alpine system.

Graham

Old 02-05-2015, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
TIf you look behind the triangular Alpine door speaker grilles and find speakers there, it's a good bet you have an OE Premium Sound System fitted and not a PO modification.
Yes, there are definitely speakers there (about 1" diameter tweeters). That's good news because it means I probably have the right wiring kit and don't need to arrange any returns. The bad news is that the wiring is potentially more complicated and spread between the dashboard, the console and the boot! Both Parrot and Nexxia instructions are poor - just a couple of schematic wiring diagrams.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

You've certainly got a bunch of wires/connectors there. You may consider downloading the schematics for your car, then diagram out the connections and wires on paper first, ensure you have what you need, THEN dig into the physical wiring to make your connections. I've done projects with a pile full of parts and tried sorting them out as I go, prior planning would have saved me a lot of time 'mistakes' , good luck

SteveGrr (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Hi Graham, I got as far as taking the lid off the console and the phone tray out and having a look at what was underneath. My thinking was that the wiring for the OEM phone must have been sufficient to provide power, carry audio and mute the radio so maybe all the necessary signals were in that one 14 pin connector.
Steve, I believe that you can connect everything through the 14 pin connector as you only need the phone function with no music audio requirement.
You will get the phone audio through the front two speakers.
Here is a link to a post where this was done on a Holden, not the same but the principle is the same.
Parrott install using the GM/Holden telephone connector - PistonHeads

Graham's pin out guide will keep you on the right path.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

I did this on my 2001 XKR with the Motorola Bluetooth kit and all the connections were in the console, including the wires up to the microphone, so no need to remove the radio.

I also ran a stereo cable back to the CD changer to get Bluetooth music from the phone.

It all works fine and was easy to do following the various instructions you can find on this site.

Quick Reply: OEM Car Phone upgrade?