Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Jaguar Bluetooth or Phone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OEM Jaguar Bluetooth or Phone?

Hey All,
Been going through the forums at great length to figure out the best way to add a bluetooth device (phone/streaming audio, NOT Iphone!) to my 2005 XKR Convertible.

I have read and downloaded all the PDFs for Jaguar bluetooth and MANY mods folks here have used to add bluetooth.

In trying to figure out what is the best course, I began looking at what I already have. Have a small issue. Under my center console is the nefarious yellow connector. It is connected. See Attachment.

I have played with the Phone programming using every permutation I can think of. Perhaps ignition position II isn't where I am? I tried both one click and two clicks. At one, I have power, but no system check...at two I have system check occurring.

When I press "phone" whether the audio head unit is on or off, it displays "no phone" for a moment and no keys can be entered. If the unit is on, then pressing keys eventually sends me to some program mode for AM/FM or CD Disk.

I believe I MUST be doing something wrong, or perhaps have the Jaguar installed telephone????

Can anyone assist?

Lastly, I have located an interesting Bluetooth unit as a replacement. It uses a single button to activate and will utilize Google Voice recognition or Siri... Is there some way to tap into the steering wheel button/audio head unit phone buttons to activate???

Thank you!!

Rich

Attached Thumbnails OEM Jaguar Bluetooth or Phone?-2005_xkr_console_innards.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 12:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

There's two yellow connectors under the Centre Console. The telephone connector is the one closest to the ashtray. This is my 2005 XK8 fitted with OE Jaguar Bluetooth (telephone connector arrowed in red):

I can't see anything plugged into your yellow telephone socket which suggests your vehicle is not fitted with OE Bluetooth.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails OEM Jaguar Bluetooth or Phone?-xk8-telephone-connector.jpg  

Last edited by GGG; 11-28-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 PM

Right! I cannot believe I missed the fact that the front yellow connector has nothing connected to it! D'OH! Probably some odd mind thing since the wires come out towards the front.

Next question, what do I need to get the system working in an OEM configuration. AND is that the way to go?

Ideally I would like to have the PHONE buttons (steering wheel and Audio head) used for phone activation and still have auto mute for the audio (CD/AM/FM/TAPE)

Thanks!

Rich

Old 11-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

While I can appreciate that you want to keep your Jag looking as OEM as possible, the OEM Bluetooth is an early Bluetooth module. As a result, it does not have some of the newest Bluetooth protocols. I recommend that you install an aftermarket device. You can get some heat units that look OEM but will provide you with far greater capabilities. For example, my head unit reads my text messages to me and lets me dictate a response.

Mark

Old 11-28-2014, 01:57 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

+1

If my 2005 XK8 hadn't already had factory Bluetooth fitted, I would not have retrofitted it when I bought the car in 2011. It was outdated by then and technology has moved on a long way in the intervening three years.

The biggest drawback is only being able to pair one phone at a time and the limited types of phone that will pair with the system. The Jaguar OE Bluetooth in my current XK is a considerable improvement allowing up to 5 phones to be paired.

Graham

Old 11-28-2014, 02:37 PM

OK..aftermarket is fine, can we re-utilize the Audio head and steering PHONE buttons? AND have auto mute?

Rich

Old 11-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leaper_Man
OK..aftermarket is fine, can we re-utilize the Audio head and steering PHONE buttons? AND have auto mute?

Rich
My steering wheel buttons work for the head unit and to answer the phone. The head unit mutes whatever's playing when a call comes in or the sat/nav gives directions, if that's what you mean.

Mark

Old 11-28-2014, 03:52 PM

Mark,
Ummm. I know how it's SUPPOSED to work with the OEM system. I'd like to replictae that while adding bluetooth streaming functionality.

Rich

Old 11-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leaper_Man
Mark,
Ummm. I know how it's SUPPOSED to work with the OEM system. I'd like to replictae that while adding bluetooth streaming functionality.

Rich
As my 2002 XKR did not have factory Bluetooth, nor have I ever had a chance to play with OEM Bluetooth, I don't know how the OEM was supposed to work. That said, other, more modern cars that I have had function the same was a my new head unit does, so I have no complaints. However, I cannot say one way or the other if it works like the OEM did.

Mark