Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh crapola!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Oh crapola!!

I decide to replace my spark plugs with new NGK Iridium plugs. I have never done this in a Jaguar, but in many old American engines. Every thing was going well until I got the plug and coil cover removed. The passenger side front plug was my first attempt and found the plug chamber filled with oil. I removed the coil and sopped up the oil in the chamber. I took the plug out and looked at it. I believe the plugs to be the origonal plugs. I was not about to put the new ones in until this oil issue is cleared up. I am assuming that the valve cover is leaking into the spark plug area. Am I correct in assuming this?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default RE: Oh crapola!!

Its the figure-8 O-rings that fit around the plug wells. I would replace both these and the cam cover seals. gordo

Old 01-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Never heard of those?? What will it take to replace them?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: hlgeorge

Never heard of those?? What will it take to replace them?

http://www.jagservice.net/jaguar_v8_...tensioners.htm

Go to this site and look at the picture at the left side bottom of the page. You'll see spark plugs and the "O" rings.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

pull the cam covers themselves. You have removed the access covers only. The Orings are under the cam covers. gordo

Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

hlgeorge,Check while you are in there, if your tensioners have been upgraded.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I had the upper and lower tensioners replaced last Spring.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Just a thought, in case it might save you some trouble...

If the tensioners were replaced last spring, then the cam cover gaskets and plug well seals should have been replaced as well. Perhaps the oil you have found in the spark plug well was due to leakage from the origional seals, not the replacements you have now.

Normally a wrench would have renewed these items, but not necessarily taken the time to clean out the plug wells unless hehad the plugs out to replace them, or to check compression should that have been suspect.

Check your invoice for the parts, give him a call, and you may find you just need to clear out what's there now and have a look in a thousand miles or so to make sure there is presently no leakage.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:04 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Gordo,

You sure can't call yourself a New Yorker anymore...your cars are fartoo nice, and your legs are not nearly white enough. Happy New Year!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

I have ordered the four inner seals and the left and right outer seal, but I don't think I have the expertise to go that far. I don't have any torque wrenches either. I'll probably take it to my mechanic since he lets me bring in parts for the work to be done.

Jagtech, The guy that replaced the tensioners was not a mechanic shop, but I do remember him telling me that he found oil around some spark plugs. I wish he had replaced the gaskets then. Now it is going to cost me more to get them replaced now.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member

Pulling the cam covers is not a big job. You could do it with some 1/4" drive and universal socket(s). The biggest problem I had was reaching some of the bolts at the lower rear.

If you decide to have your mechanic do this, tell him to be careful with the eight bolts on the two (2) cam cover access plates covering the coils and plugs. They are threaded into knurled press-fit brass inserts. If too much torque is applied to these bolts the inserts twist out of the cam covers. When this happened to me I used JB Weld, a two part epoxy, to reseat the inserts. So far this fix has held, but now I only finger tight these bolts with a nut driver. All you need to do is lightly compress the access plate seals.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

gordo, i had something similar happen to me while i was changing my tensioner's. i put to much pressure on the valve cover trying to get it off and snapped a little peace of the side. used some jb and a clamp for 24hrs and good as new. put her back together and no oil on the ground so for.

moral of the story! Be gentle with your kitty..