XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default oil cooler mounts

As I was taking the 2003 XKR for a test drive after replacing the octopus hose one of the oil cooler hoses burst (at 100,050 miles).

What a mess; the hose split at the top so oil squirted up and into the engine compartment.

I replaced the two hoses that attach to the engine block with the OEM replacements and had the two that attach to the oil cooler rebuilt with higher grade rubber hoses.

I would have had the two that attach to the engine block rebuilt but there did not look to be enough room to fit correctly after the hoses were cut and re-welded with new fittings.

If you go the rebuild route the hoses have to be put back together precisely as they were originally or else replacing them is significantly more difficult.

That is all background related to the oil cooler mounts; Instrumount part number MNA6730AB; these are about $50 each at the dealer and SNB Barratt has them for $30.08; you need 4.

I was looking at the McMaster-Carr catalog for something else and found "metric general purpose vibration-damping Sandwich Mounts with Studs" (https://www.mcmaster.com/#sandwich-mounts/=1994uoj).

These look like suitable substitutes for about $2 each and there are some "extreme versions" for about $6 each.

Just thought I'd pass this on for someone needing to replace the oil cooler mounts.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Replaced the oil cooler and found the mounts were coming apart. The rubber sections were coming away from their respective 'bolts'.
Instrumounts are a silly price so I cleaned both the rusty bolt threads and rubber parts and then epoxy glued them back together. Last time I looked they were still holding up!
The McMaster-Carr products may be the way to go but, FWIW, the rubber parts of the OEM are quite 'squishy'. It would be nice to know if the McM-Cs have a much firmer rubber insert or not.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple of mine were split in the middle.

I tried gluing but it did not hold.

McMaster-Carr sells two versions of these mounts; one is "extreme"; not exactly sure what that means in terms of firmness.