XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, I have to ask. Anyone body wrap their XK8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 06:14 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Ok, I have to ask. Anyone body wrap their XK8?

Wondering if wrapping my XK8 would be a good way to change things up a bit? Anyone here seen or own an XK8 that's been plastic wrapped?

Oh, the reason I ask is that in 2 years of owning this car. Only the 2nd person has complemented my XK8. This was a young college aged guy. The other was a homeless woman.

Last edited by cyber3d; 07-14-2017 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:43 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

I've had my XK8Convertible for 4 years.

Only 1 person has complimented it, and only two people have asked what it kind of car it was. I bought it because it's a Jaguar, not so I can get compliments...

Old 07-14-2017, 08:53 AM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

It is my intent to wrap my XK8...I'm in the business of lettering and wrapping commercial trucks. And while I stay away from wrapping personal cars (business owners buy mobile signs to sell their services, personal owners are buying flawless works of art and this requires a different business model) I think it will be cool to wrap my Jaguar (when I get the mechanical bugs wrapped up!).

You can go several directions with this...You can get vinyl wrap that will mimic the finish of high end paint. Or you can either buy wrapping material pre - printed with wild designs or buy a design and have a shop print it for you...with modifications is you like.

You might be able to do it yourself. There is a lot of right, and wrong information on how to do it on YouTube. However, the best bet (most affordable) would be to remove the chrome/door handles/mirrors yourself and let the wrap shop have at it.

Whatever you do, here is some mandatory advice: Make sure your wrap is made out of "cast" vinyl and absolutely make sure it is laminated with a clear finish. Most of the paint like vinyls are pre-laminated. But a less than scrupulous shop might sell you a wrap that is not laminated. On such a wrap, not only will the exposed ink wear away, but the material will have no strength and as such, will be nearly impossible to remove (it will come off in one inch squares).

I hope this isn't too much "inside baseball" information. If you have any specific questions about wraps, I will be pleased to answer.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:25 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what would a DECENT wrap job cost for the XK8? It might be fun to change things up for a couple of years and then revert back to stock later on (I assume that is possible).

Old 07-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

If you go tho the "Wow us with your pictures" and go back several pages you will see an XK8 wrapped in the Gulf racing colors. I would ask him.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Truck Graphics, just wondering how much would such wrap weigh? It's probably insignificant but I have no idea.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

There is a blue one for sale in Madrid that has been wrapped in grey:-

More pictures here (while the advert is still live):-

JAGUAR serie xk xkr convertible Gasolina Gris / Plata (**VENDIDO, GRAN V8 CABRIO,VINILADO, EN OPCION**) del 2001 con 149900km en Madrid 32384366

Trending Topics

Old 07-14-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by marvin.d.miller
I've had my XK8Convertible for 4 years.

Only 1 person has complimented it, and only two people have asked what it kind of car it was. I bought it because it's a Jaguar, not so I can get compliments...
I didn't buy it to get compliments.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Truck Graphics
It is my intent to wrap my XK8...I'm in the business of lettering and wrapping commercial trucks. And while I stay away from wrapping personal cars (business owners buy mobile signs to sell their services, personal owners are buying flawless works of art and this requires a different business model) I think it will be cool to wrap my Jaguar (when I get the mechanical bugs wrapped up!).

You can go several directions with this...You can get vinyl wrap that will mimic the finish of high end paint. Or you can either buy wrapping material pre - printed with wild designs or buy a design and have a shop print it for you...with modifications is you like.

You might be able to do it yourself. There is a lot of right, and wrong information on how to do it on YouTube. However, the best bet (most affordable) would be to remove the chrome/door handles/mirrors yourself and let the wrap shop have at it.

Whatever you do, here is some mandatory advice: Make sure your wrap is made out of "cast" vinyl and absolutely make sure it is laminated with a clear finish. Most of the paint like vinyls are pre-laminated. But a less than scrupulous shop might sell you a wrap that is not laminated. On such a wrap, not only will the exposed ink wear away, but the material will have no strength and as such, will be nearly impossible to remove (it will come off in one inch squares).

I hope this isn't too much "inside baseball" information. If you have any specific questions about wraps, I will be pleased to answer.
Fantastic. Thanks much!

Old 07-14-2017, 12:42 PM

To answer previous questions on cost and weight:

Cost: I'm going with around $3,000, not including removing and replacing chrome/mirrors/door handles etc. That's for a solid color or a pre-printed design. Buying a design might add $100, but having something special designed would probably run $500 to $1,000.

Weight: About 60 pounds.

Last edited by Truck Graphics; 07-14-2017 at 12:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Truck Graphics:
jimmiejag (07-16-2017), Johnken (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

I didn't realize that stuff weighs so much, Truck Graphics.

I'll echo what was said above, though I don't know much about it first hand. Being in the mobile service business, in my line of work wraps are fairly popular for advertising. It seems like most guys drop $3000-5000 on a decent, custom business wrap, albeit typically on a larger vehicle.

FWIW, I get plenty of compliments on my XK, though it goes everywhere with me in business making multiple stops a day. I also live in an area where Jags are far and few between, so more of a novelty. So Cal definately has more Jags and other higher end cars to "wash" it out in the crowd. Do you take your Jag out much?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:28 AM

Just occurs to me, a wrap probably weighs about half that, 30 lbs. Someone once asked that question of me, and I recalled that a box of wrap material and a box of overlaminate each weighs about 30 pounds...but we throw away the backing paper...So 30 pounds, maybe 40, is a better ballpark estimate.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
I didn't realize that stuff weighs so much, Truck Graphics.

I'll echo what was said above, though I don't know much about it first hand. Being in the mobile service business, in my line of work wraps are fairly popular for advertising. It seems like most guys drop $3000-5000 on a decent, custom business wrap, albeit typically on a larger vehicle.

FWIW, I get plenty of compliments on my XK, though it goes everywhere with me in business making multiple stops a day. I also live in an area where Jags are far and few between, so more of a novelty. So Cal definately has more Jags and other higher end cars to "wash" it out in the crowd. Do you take your Jag out much?
True. One has to take it out to be seen. I don't drive all that often. BTW, I think I've seen maybe 4 or 5 other XK8/XKR Jags in this part of town. I've actually seen more Aston Martins around here.

Wifey offered to gift me new interior wood pieces! But, only after I decide on the colour of body wrap!