XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One bank not firing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default One bank not firing?

Started the engine in my 2001 XKR after carrying out some work and it sounds as though it's only running on one bank, not sure which one yet.

I recently bought another 2001 XKR but a convertible this time. It was showing a P1647 O2 sensor fault so I have replaced the upstream left hand O2 sensor and also removed both valve covers to check what type of secondary tensioner was fitted.

All went well, fitted the new sensor and the tensioners have already been upgraded. Put everything back together, cleared the P1647 code and started the engine. I then shut it down a couple of seconds later as it was apparent something wasn't right.

Scratched my head, checked for codes, of which there were none and on the basis it wasn't a mechanical problem started the engine again. I let it run for a few seconds and it sounds as though one bank isn't running.

It was getting dark by now, so I packed up and decided to go through the wiring diagrams over a glass of wine or two this evening.

My guess is that I have disturbed a connector that has inhibited either the coils or injectors on one side or the other. Having said that, there are no codes coming up which seems odd?

Does anyone have any ideas or had a similar experience to this?

Thanks Andy

Old 12-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy ***
It was showing a P1647 O2 sensor fault so I have replaced the upstream left hand O2 sensor
While replacing the sensor, I assume you had to snake the wires back onto the harness connector, somewhere behind the throttle body. I believe that is also the area where coil-related connectors are located. This is right under the bracket that holds the harness connectors. Unless you made yourself some room by removing the intake elbow, you might have inadvertently disturbed something. Also, make sure that you put back any hose to the throttle body you might have removed for clearance as they would cause a leak of un-metered air.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Andy Cox (12-28-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Resolved

Applying some logic to the problem and looking at the wiring diagram made me believe that one complete bank wasn't running and it looked as though the only thing that could do this is either the common power supply to the injectors, which comes from the injection relay and then splits into two, one for each bank, or the negative signal cable from the ECU to the injectors, which is two separate cables, again, one for each bank.

I decided to check the injector connections first and as luck would have it, I put my hand on the problem straight away!

The injector harness on each bank terminates in a 5 pin connector (4 signal wires and 1 positive) mounted at the front end of and above the spark plug cover. The tang that secures the two halves of the connector together on the right hand bank had been broken and when I removed the valve cover the connector had simply opened up enough to come apart even though it looked OK. I have re fitted it and secured the two halves with a cable tie.

Problem sorted

Andy

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (12-29-2016)