XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Steering wheel alignment

The steering wheel on my new XKR is pointing at about 11.00 on a clock face and it bugs the heck out of me.

What's the easiest way of re aligning it?

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by GGG; 12-29-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy ***
The steering wheel on my new XKR is pointing at about 11.00 on a clock face and it bugs the heck out of me.

Thanks
Andy
I hate to state the obvious, but a professional wheel alignment would take care of it.
And while they're at it, they'll make other front end adjustments and inspections.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Anthony, I was hoping it could be as simple as that. My guess is they can sort it out at track rod ends.
I'll get it booked in for a 4 wheel alignment.
Andy

Old 12-29-2016, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Others may reply with more knowledge and expertise, but there's three or four reasons why this could have happened. Two most likely are :
1. Tracking was done without making sure steering wheel was centred.
2. Steering wheel has been removed and incorrectly replaced.

I'm not sure this would be a definitive test, but (on flat ground) drive forward so the front wheels are pointing exactly straight ahead (and presumably, steering wheel doesn't ??) Put in "P" and remove key. Does steering lock operate, or do you have to turn the steering wheel to get it to "kick in" ?
If so ...I think '1' is most likely, so get the tracking redone, but make sure that the mechanic has the steering wheel centred and uses the adjustments on the track rod ends to move the front wheels to the correct position.
If the steering lock operates with the steering wheel off-centre, most likely that the steering wheel has been removed and not put back properly. If that's the case, I would wonder why ?

The following users liked this post:
Andy Cox (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 11:53 AM

Thanks Anthony, I was hoping it could be as simple as that. My guess is they can sort it out at track rod ends.
I'll get it booked in for a 4 wheel alignment.
Andy
When I purchased my car, it too was at about 11 o'clock.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done, and needed to replace a tie rod. Steering and pulling was corrected.

Car has since handles beautifully

Old 12-29-2016, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
When I purchased my car, it too was at about 11 o'clock.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done, and needed to replace a tie rod. Steering and pulling was corrected.

Car has since handles beautifully

This is pretty typical alignment shop practice. If a Tie rod is frozen, they tell the owner he can pay $250 for a new tie rod or they can adjust around it. Someone selling the car is going to save the $250 and let the new owner worry about it.

Any more than 1 or 11 o'clock and they run out of threads on the good tie rod and don't give you an option.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks
Andy

I have had good luck with parallel strings and just basically eyeballing the alignment.

Very little is adjustable on the front. If you assume the back is good, a set of ramps, some wrenches and a straight road can the get the steering wheel perfect and the strings make sure the tow is close to spec.

Adjusting one tie rod side out and the other side in by the same number of turns will get you close. Fine tune from there.

Andy Cox (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ungn
This is pretty typical alignment shop practice. If a Tie rod is frozen, they tell the owner he can pay $250 for a new tie rod or they can adjust around it. Someone selling the car is going to save the $250 and let the new owner worry about it.

Any more than 1 or 11 o'clock and they run out of threads on the good tie rod and don't give you an option.
I changed my tie rod on my own for about 30.00.
Then drove it to my shop for an alignment.

Andy Cox (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
I changed my tie rod on my own for about 30.00.
Then drove it to my shop for an alignment.
On My Miata with a frozen Tie Rod/offset wheel, after getting the $250 diagnosis, I told them don't warranty the alignment, just set the camber and caster and I'll swap out the tie rods (and I mumbled under my breath "and I won't be back").

Swapped inner and outer tie rods for $64, some parallel strings and and some wrench work and my $850 miata went down the road straight as an arrow.

Even though it too had a frozen tie rod and an offset steering wheel when I bought it, my XK8 never even made it to the alignment shop after I redid the Front/rear suspension. Camber - no adjustment, Caster - just some washers, easy, rear toe - just use the original setting, Front Toe - Parallel Strings and a couple trips up/down the street. That was about 8,000 miles ago and the no abnormal tire wear and the car goes right down the road.

Andy Cox (12-30-2016)