XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One week in....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default One week in....

So I sold my MINI Cooper GP2 and bought a 2006 XKR convertible Victory Edition with 53000 miles
First off, this car is pristine cleanest used car I've ever purchased it's like new!

My observations so far, now coming from the MINI this car is like night to day

The heat it generates, wow!
When the tops down sitting at a stop light if the wind blows the right way you can just feel it roll into the cabin (with the engine, it's not surprising)

Then, how quite it is with the top up, I was really surprised

How sexy this car is, still 10 years later!

The solenoid went out the day I went to buy it, so they had the pump sent out and rebuilt so luckily I dodged that bullet

The acceleration...I was expecting more here, shifts pretty soft/lazy maybe it's deceiving with the car being so quite I was expecting "holy crap"

Fuel economy, don't ask, lol coming from 32 mpg

Did I say it's sexy?

Had one quick low oil pressure light on start up, just for a second, I see others have had this, so fingers crossed on this

Had an alignment done , one place wouldn't touch it, the other did what they could minus the shims..overall much better

I had to order the air valve adapter, tires were down to 25 psi!

Stereo is awesome (top up)

So fat loving the car, I'm a little fearful of something breaking I know it's coming, I just hope it's down the road

Wishes so far: a little louder and a little quicker, and oh 50 mpg would be great!

MINI had a great forum community and so far I'm impressed with the Jaguar group.

Ever want a laugh? Go to a mustang forum haha

The following 3 users liked this post by nametaken:
GGG (08-28-2014), JimC64 (08-28-2014), Norri (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:10 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

......... so when do we get to see the pics?

Graham

Old 08-28-2014, 05:25 PM

One...

Attached Thumbnails One week in....-image.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jim D (08-29-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:26 PM

Two

Old 08-28-2014, 05:26 PM

And three

cjd777 (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Welcome to the board. Lots of info here as you will need it. These 75000.00 cars are inexpensive for a reason, they are fiddley as they say. But I love mine.
You wish the XKR was faster after coming out of a mini?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:18 PM

Oh I'm not saying the Jag is slow, just figured a little more kick in the pants, maybe it's just my car

As for the MINI, look up 2013 GP2
It's basically a street legal track car.
But I'm loving the Jag

Trending Topics

Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Very nice, congrats!

Good write up too, thanks for sharing

Old 08-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by nametaken
Oh I'm not saying the Jag is slow, just figured a little more kick in the pants, maybe it's just my car

As for the MINI, look up 2013 GP2. It's basically a street legal track car.
Keep in mind the Jag is really a GT, not a sports car and certainly not a track car. However, the XKR should be no slouch. Start researching the forum back history. Plenty of quick fixes to get a better kick-in-the-pants feel.

Some quick things: (I assume you have played with sports mode already)

One, the Jag "learns" how you drive in normal mode. The PO may have been less aggressive than you and the computer is still mapped to him. After a while it will learn your driving style. If you want to hurry that up, do a hard reset (search the forum for method).

Two, check the throttle cable. Yes it is partly drive by wire, but not completely. This is often in need of adjustment. It will not give you any extra horsepower, but it will make a dramatic difference in throttle response if it is adjusted correctly. (again search the forum)

Lastly, drive it! These cars love to be driven. At only 53k miles, it has not had enough attention.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the Jag.

nametaken (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Keep in mind the Jag is really a GT, not a sports car and certainly not a track car. However, the XKR should be no slouch. Start researching the forum back history. Plenty of quick fixes to get a better kick-in-the-pants feel.

Some quick things: (I assume you have played with sports mode already)

One, the Jag "learns" how you drive in normal mode. The PO may have been less aggressive than you and the computer is still mapped to him. After a while it will learn your driving style. If you want to hurry that up, do a hard reset (search the forum for method).

Two, check the throttle cable. Yes it is partly drive by wire, but not completely. This is often in need of adjustment. It will not give you any extra horsepower, but it will make a dramatic difference in throttle response if it is adjusted correctly. (again search the forum)

Lastly, drive it! These cars love to be driven. At only 53k miles, it has not had enough attention.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the Jag.
Thanks!
I've read about the "learning" thing, the previous owner was a 60 year old woman, I'm sure the car was driven pretty soft, it was for sure taken care of.

I looked at a few before this one, they were all pretty rough, this one is tip top, but I'll do some digging as well, I'm very satisfied so far overall
Thanks again

Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Welcome! Your comment about the heat coming off your hood vents could mean something. I had the same feeling when I sat at traffic lights with the top down. I found that my intercooler aux. water pump wasn't working based on a reduced performance light coming on after loading the supercharger at highway speeds on inclines. Not saying you have this problem but you should check fuse #12 in the engine management fuse box which is located on the passenger side against the firewall in the engine compartment. You can find this in your owners manual on pg. 6-21. You also my want to check the forum search on how to adjust your throttle cable to make sure you're getting full opening at the throttle body.

JimC64 (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 10:54 AM

Thanks, I just did the cable adjustment haven't taken it out yet and I'll check #12
Runs fine no warnings, but I'll take a look

Old 08-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

We had a Jag 5 years ago. We had a 09 Mini Clubman S, two diff types of cars. LOVED the
Clubby, fast, like riding a go-cart. sdly after only about 6 months of owning it is got totaled so we came back to the Jag table and bough an 03 Conv. Love the cars, wish cost for parts and to fix was not so much but anyways.
The 09 Mini was fun but had a fun pesky recalls. Timing chain set up being one. I will say that Mini went out of their way to get things right in fixing the car.

So I sold my MINI Cooper GP2 and bought a 2006 XKR convertible Victory Edition with 53000 miles
First off, this car is pristine cleanest used car I've ever purchased it's like new!

My observations so far, now coming from the MINI this car is like night to day

The heat it generates, wow!
When the tops down sitting at a stop light if the wind blows the right way you can just feel it roll into the cabin (with the engine, it's not surprising)

Then, how quite it is with the top up, I was really surprised

How sexy this car is, still 10 years later!

The solenoid went out the day I went to buy it, so they had the pump sent out and rebuilt so luckily I dodged that bullet

The acceleration...I was expecting more here, shifts pretty soft/lazy maybe it's deceiving with the car being so quite I was expecting "holy crap"

Fuel economy, don't ask, lol coming from 32 mpg

Did I say it's sexy?

Had one quick low oil pressure light on start up, just for a second, I see others have had this, so fingers crossed on this

Had an alignment done , one place wouldn't touch it, the other did what they could minus the shims..overall much better

I had to order the air valve adapter, tires were down to 25 psi!

Stereo is awesome (top up)

So fat loving the car, I'm a little fearful of something breaking I know it's coming, I just hope it's down the road

Wishes so far: a little louder and a little quicker, and oh 50 mpg would be great!

MINI had a great forum community and so far I'm impressed with the Jaguar group.

Ever want a laugh? Go to a mustang forum haha

Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome aboard. Yes, the Jag is not a MINI, but has much longer legs.

I wouldn't worry about the 'shims' in alignment - only affects the caster, and that should not be an issue unless someone has fiddled with the upper control arms in the past.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 PM

So I did the so called cable adjustment and my findings are......
Holy $#& :-), now that's what I'm talking about!!!!

I actually had traction control kick in for 1st AND 2nd gear, never happened before
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

Last edited by nametaken; 08-29-2014 at 03:24 PM.
JimC64 (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I actually had traction control kick in for 1st AND 2nd gear, never happened before
Ahh,smile on face. That's what theses cars are about.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

"Now thats what I'm talking about".......says it all!!

nametaken (08-29-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:11 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Just the fact that you're horsing that cat around will help program the shift points in the tranny. These cat's like to learn what its like to rough house a little to help them perform up to their capabilities. Of course when I do it with my wife she always ask why I drive different in the Jag versus her Honda Pilot----I try not say "Duh".

Old 09-01-2014, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4

Actually the 4.2L is completely drive by wire.

What people say about the learning is very true. Drive it like a little old lady and the cat gets lazy and sluggish. Thrash it a bit and it will really wake up.

Came from a Mini to the Jag also. Both are tons of fun, but totally different kinds of fun. The most interesting thing I noticed was that I (generally) drive slower in the Jag.

A Mini is always needling you to misbehave but an XK has such poise and comfort that fit seems to say: I could go fast but I don't need to prove anything.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaincat
Welcome! Your comment about the heat coming off your hood vents could mean something. I had the same feeling when I sat at traffic lights with the top down. I found that my intercooler aux. water pump wasn't working based on a reduced performance light coming on after loading the supercharger at highway speeds on inclines. Not saying you have this problem but you should check fuse #12 in the engine management fuse box which is located on the passenger side against the firewall in the engine compartment. You can find this in your owners manual on pg. 6-21. You also my want to check the forum search on how to adjust your throttle cable to make sure you're getting full opening at the throttle body.
Oh check the fuse, yup blown
I replaced it, new let's see what happens if blowes again or not

Quick Reply: One week in....