XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parts help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default parts help

Here I am hat in hand once again, seeking help sourcing parts for my lovely 1999 XK8.

Sure I could go to my nearest Jaguar dealer but I am very unhappy with them and do not desire to give them any more money. They have already taken much and returned little.

It is interesting what one finds when one looks behind bezels. I was not warned what I would find when I asked the previous owner about any potential problems. Quelle suprise! In any case, after some time I have decided to address the issue of a stuck cruise control on/off switch. I released the bezel and disconnected both the cruise and sport switches and brought the bezel in for a look - switches included. What I found was that sometime in the past, the clip which holds the cruise switch had broken and instead of replacing the bezel, the owner had used a putty type epoxy along with superglue to lock the switch body into place. Doing that also forced glue into the areas of the switch which allow it to DUH!!! switch.

I am afraid the only solution to this problem is to replace both switch and bezel. I have not found either even after exhaustive searching. I recognize Google and the other search engines give each individual different results based on past use so I wonder if anyone else would have any luck finding these particular parts. I do not require new - working or clean used would be fine.

Thanks for any replies.

Mike Windrim
Quadra Island

Old 05-09-2017, 07:08 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Photos of exactly what you want would be a big help.

I believe you want part LNC6227BB (speed control switch) and LJA6221DE (bezel).

Google those numbers to see if they are in fact what you want. They should both be available readily via eBay or forum sponsor parts sources.

Best,
dsd

Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 PM

Thank you. I was incorrect calling the first part an on/off switch. The numbers are for the parts I require and while those parts are not cheap, I am happy to have ordered them. I truly appreciate your input.

Mike Windrim

Old 05-10-2017, 05:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Mike,

Resolving PO's 'repairs' can often be a pain.

The parts you require (as I think you have already discovered) are expensive. Forum Sponsor S N G Barratt lists a new LNC6227BB at 145.41 USD and LJA6221DE (bezel) at 184.34 USD. They offer 10% discount on most parts to forum members.

Learning to use Google could save you a huge amount. Using "Jaguar + LNC6227BB" as a search term, I found several of these used items. Here's an example of one result which linked to an ebay UK listing:

parts help-cruise-control-switch.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Even with shipping to Canada, that would have been a steal at the equivalent of 22.16 Canadian Dollars!

Graham

Old 05-10-2017, 06:51 AM

Thank you Graham. Oh I believe I know how to use Google. I spent much of my adult life as an IBM support person. The issue for me is that my search and your search using exactly the same input parameters will result in entirely different results because Google "tunes" our own results based on past searches. Once you and others suggest links for me to review, I have been able to see those items with no problem though . I found that part on eBay and am in negotiations with the supplier to ship it to me. They normally do not ship to Canada. I have the bezel on the way but it cost about $300 all in. Oh well - the price of excellence and all that... Oh and I wish I had thought to mention my membership in the number of Jaguar clubs and lists I follow. Damn Next time I guess. And I do appreciate your input. Thank you.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

The after market metal chrome bessel is a much better part and looks great. Check the end of Barretts catalog or ebay.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:58 PM

I agree LaRue. I actually know a local gunsmith/tool and die maker/ machinist locally who is semi-retired and he loves challenges like this. I have a huge torx set but it is sized to computers - #20 largest and I need a #25 to get the center shifter bezel out. I will have it made from billet aluminum which I will clear coat and it should look fabulous. I managed to get the outer center bezel and the cruise speed control switch for about $375 Canadian all in, even with no discounts. That is not cheap but is affordable. I will be very pleased to have cruise for the long trips although I can already manage my speed quite well just with engine sound...I am so looking forward to summer. My car with her Miss V plates is already the talk of the island. Maybe it will get me a date hahahahaha