XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger door not power-locking/unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Passenger door not power-locking/unlocking

Noticed my passenger door appeared unlocked - the chrome handle was in the unlocked position when I locked the car. Tried moving the driver's door interior latch handle to lock and unlock positions. The noise came from the passenger door, but the handle didn't move. Confirmed that it's not locking or unlocking with the key or driver's door handle. Can still lock and unlock it manually, with the chrome handle in the passenger door.

Didn't find anything on it by searching the threads. Did I just miss it? Is this an unusual issue? Guessing I'll need to pull apart the door and replace something.

The following users liked this post:
Sebastian (05-15-2019)
Old 06-02-2012, 06:08 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

When you think it's locked can you open it from the outside?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Door Locking

The passenger door has a door locking switch, a door locking module and a door locking relay. Check your passenger side fuse box: fuse #2-10 amp which powers the relay, fuse #4-5 amp which powers the door lock switch, fuse #15-25 amp which powers the door control module. Typically, if there is a problem with the 10 amp fuse, the window switch will not activate the window since it shares the same fuse.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jag13cat:
Sebastian (05-15-2019), volkris (12-08-2018)
Old 06-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As written by Abby's Guy
The noise came from the passenger door, but the handle didn't move. Confirmed that it's not locking or unlocking with the key or driver's door handle. Can still lock and unlock it manually, with the chrome handle in the passenger door.
It sounds like the electrics are OK If your hearing the noise in the door, and you can lock and unlock from inside There are rods that may have came loose inside they have a plastic fastener on the ends that sometimes come loose or breaks. I didn't see where you said the windows didn't work. Rev Sam had a video on how to remove the door panel to get access. Do leave your window up when you take it apart, better access to the door components

Sebastian (05-15-2019)
Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Yeah, mine is doing something similar. I can hear everything moving back and forth, and the inner handle seems to respond ok...but the door seldom actually locks so that no one can open it from the outside. I just acquired a whole lock/latch/cable assembly to either replace it or pirate the necessary parts to fix it. It looks like a daunting job, though.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Its not too bad once you get into the latch removal. Its self-intuitve when you can see the bolts holding it with the door panel off. Just practice the removal of the bar a few times before you take it off entirely to do the swap. Its like a one of those interlocking brain teaser puzzles.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Thank you for the ideas. I've been off-line working to finish my master's degree and spending little time on the forum or anything else.

Will take it apart and try to fix it when I get the car back. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:15 PM

I ended up replacing mine with a unit from a very good Ebay seller (junkyard). It solved th eproblem, but I was reminded wehn I thought it had gone bad that the battery charge and ridiculous "memory" settings for the doors and windows can make them malfunction even when they are good. Always try resetting first...after verifying your battery is strong.

The only thing I have left to do on the car is replace/repair the remote trunk latch release. It's getting boring ot having anything to really dig into.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Passenger door not power-locking/unlocking

I'm having this issue with a somewhat different twist. Using the key fob, all doors do lock, except the front passenger door. I can hear what sounds like the door locking mechanism "working", but the chrome lock "handle" stays in the unlock position and you can open the door after locking the car with the key fob, albeit that does set off the alarm. I can't manually push the chrome handle down into the locked position. I have performed the hard-boot twice now but I've never tried it using the "ignition ON" position. I may try this unless anyone has any updated info on this problem?

Old 11-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Last week after changing out the battery, both of my doors experienced this same problem. There is a 10amp fuse that powers the door lock actuators located in the fuse panel on the passenger side of the dash (when you open the door, you'll see the panel door). It was blown, and when I replaced it everything returned to normal. The fact that one of your doors works and the other does not, would lead me to believe it's probably not that but the module in the passenger door. I had to replace mine about a year ago.

Sebastian (05-15-2019)
Old 11-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Default Sorry, forgot to update...

When my passenger side wasn't working, it was solved by fuse replacement. Unfortunately the guy who did it wasn't there when I picked up, and the people present knew nothing more specific than that it was a fuse.