Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger window gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Passenger window gremlin

Gentlemen,

I am having a persistent and unusual issue with my passenger side window. The window will roll itself down happy as can be but will struggle to roll itself back up straight after halfway.

If I open the door and grab the window, assisting it up, it will return to original position with help from the motor. However, if I do not touch the window at all then the motor will audibly struggle when the window is halfway up and then I hear a 'cluck' and the window shudders and stops.

The door open and close operation on the window will have it roll all the way down as well but if I had assisted it to it's fully closed position (and only in this instance) then it will work fine.

I have disassembled the door interior housing down to the window housing but I can't see any visible deformity to the runners from the outside.

Do you have any ideas? Not very confident disassembling the window assembly so I'll hold off on that just yet.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar problem on my E39 BMW. The problem turned out to be caused by the glass coming out of the clamps at the very bottom of the window. The glass would drop into the clamps when the window went down, but **** slightly when raised. When I pulled it up by hand, it came up ok. I reseated the glass, put a little silicone sealer inside the clamps and tightened them up., and my problem went away.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
Jannas (12-28-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.

Had same problem. Turned out to be the fore/aft adjustment nut that had worked loose. This nut is fastened to a bolt sliding in a slot to adjust fore/aft window adjustment to keep tight towards aft quarter window. Nut located in the middle of the door.

The following users liked this post:
Jannas (12-28-2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alright, as per Oyster's advise, I have adjusted the nut. Now, the window has taken to jumping off it's rail. Bloody thing. Anyone had the same problem? I checked the vertical adjustment nut and it is centred.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.
Sorry to hear that my advice might have given you more problems.
The hole door glass mechanism is fairly complicated with numerous adjustment screews and some retaining clips. There is a lengthy procedure in JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information Service) on how to adjust the hole mechanism. The JTIS is downloadable from FAQ section. First check for the obvious like bent guide rails, retaining clips that might have come lose or are missing, and more lose nuts and bolts. You might find some of these parts on the bottom inside of the door.

Attached Thumbnails Passenger window gremlin-door-window-glass.jpg