X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X-Type 3.0 A/C and heat not consistent

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X-Type 3.0 A/C and heat not consistent

I've had an odd problem arise over the past 2-3 months. One morning I woke up to drive to work, and where I live we frequently get 65%+ humidity with 90F+ degree weather. My car had a bit of condensation that had accumulated on it, and the windshield was just a little foggy when I got in. So after starting the car, I turn on the front defroster. At first, it's the outside temperature. But hey, I just started the car so let me drive it first. After just a little driving the engine is ready to give me some cold air, and it delivers. But then an odd thing happens.. I stop at a long light and the temperature begins to rise again to the outside temperature. What the heck?

Next test... I notice the passenger side A/C is delivering ice cold air (the mid-right and far-right vents). My vents (mid-left and far-left) are pumping out air 10F to 15F warmer, though still cool. When I leave the car in 4th gear and drive 45mph, all vents pump cold air (though the right side is barely cooler).

Final test... cool morning, 60F and mildly humid. Front windshield is a bit foggy so I turn on the defroster, with warm air. The same problem happens, but in REVERSE. Sitting at a light, air cools and the window suddenly begins to rapidly fog because of the temperature difference. Get on the gas, goes back to the desired temp and clears up. I was not able to test the defroster vents up front while driving, for safety reasons. And If I sit in a parking lot, the temperature won't fluctuate but remain as the outside temp.

Thanks to anyone in advance. And also, thank you to the FAQ that covered the buzzing from the dash... now I need to find and replace that fan!

**SIDE NOTE - My girlfriend was sitting in the passenger seat this Summer and noticed very cold water dripping on to her leg from under the glove box. Not in any large quantity, but a single drop every now and then. Related?

- swetnK

Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

swetnk: You're AC is low on Freon, fortunately a simple and inexpensive fix.

Three clues that your Freon is low:

Symptom #1) Air blows cooler from the US passenger vents; warmer from the US driver vents. This post shows how cold Freon cools the passenger 1st, leaving only warm Freon for the driver: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1250845

Symptom #2) Air blows cold at 45+ MPH and warm at a stop light. In a 45+ mph wind, the AC expels heat more effectively thru the condenser coil, which is in front of and below the radiator. But at a stop light, your AC with low Freon struggles to expel heat because the radiator fans don't generate enough 'wind'.

Symptom #3) On humid, cool mornings, with the defrost and heat on, the windshield defogs best at 45+ mph, but fogs when parked. In defrost mode, the red AC LED is on all the time, even with the temperature control set to HI, because the AC removes humidity from the air. Ever notice a water puddle under a parked car with engine running and AC on? That's humidity extracted from the air. Your AC needs more Freon, so it removes humidity best at 45+ mph with high air flow thru the condenser coil, but poorly at a stop light with minimal 'wind'.

Here in Texas our AC's are used 12 months a year, and we add Freon every 3-5 years, sometimes more often. In Nebraska you can go longer, but a 2004 is overdue if it hasn't been recharged recently.

There are many posts on how to add Freon. This post shows where to add it: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...35/#post552770

Regarding the noisy fan, I presume the blower for the passengers and windshield. It's under the dash, above the US passenger's feet. Remove the thin sound barrier, and it's pretty accessible. The hardest part is lying on your back, head under the dash, and butt on the reclined seat.

If you're unsure how to recharge Freon or clean the blower, ask and we'll talk you thru it.

Last edited by dwclapp; 09-22-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

+1 dwclapp. Low freon is the problem. While you are in there for the noisy fan you can stop that water dripping on your girlfriends foot buy cleaning out the drain line for the passenger side. It is condensation from the cooling coil on the passenger side and the drain hose is plugged.
The hose will drain away condensation from the system to the outside of the car. Look around under the rocker panel on the passenger side and see if you can find the hose hanging down and see if the opening is just plugged with road debris. I not you will have to run a stiff wire thru it.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avern1
+1 dwclapp. Low freon is the problem. While you are in there for the noisy fan you can stop that water dripping on your girlfriends foot buy cleaning out the drain line for the passenger side. It is condensation from the cooling coil on the passenger side and the drain hose is plugged.
The hose will drain away condensation from the system to the outside of the car. Look around under the rocker panel on the passenger side and see if you can find the hose hanging down and see if the opening is just plugged with road debris. I not you will have to run a stiff wire thru it.
Thanks for the info! Rainy day today, so attempting the hose-clear tomorrow. As far as the fan, I think I know where it is... next to the ignition, there is a small rectangular hole with 3 or 4 'slits'. I am pretty sure I will have to take part of the dash off to access it. I need to find a manual that shows the break down of parts in the '04 x-type.

Originally Posted by dwclapp
Regarding the noisy fan, I presume the blower for the passengers and windshield. It's under the dash, above the US passenger's feet. Remove the thin sound barrier, and it's pretty accessible. The hardest part is lying on your back, head under the dash, and butt on the reclined seat.
Thanks for the write up. I didn't realize low Freon would lead to issues with the heat as well.

I thought I found the vent for the fan, but it's next to my ignition. I will try to post a picture later today if the rain lets up.

On a side note, the fan for the motor turns in for 1-2 seconds at a time, and then promptly stops itself. On a hot day, it won't stop obviously... but wondering if my engine is getting confused trying to maintain the climate in my car.

Thanks all for the help! Likely going to have my local shop do the Freon, as the kit I found at my local parts store only connects to the low side. Plus, the owner is my neighbor so he's always done right by me with his work and pricing. Still wondering if I have to buy a new aspirator for the buzzing noise though, and likely going to pay a good dollar at the dealer...