XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perceived arrogance..? I hope I'm wrong..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 679 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Miata

Originally Posted by DaveC
It's all a matter of perspective. Many years ago I was taking my daughter (then 3 now 28) to daycare in my yellow TR7. A 5 year old boy walked up to the car and said "Mom, look a Ferrari!". In his eyes, it was something special. In my daughter's eye it was just "baby car".
I, on the other hand, had someone walk up in a blue jacket asking if my car was a the new Miata. As a side note I hear they are looking for someone who ran over, several times, some guy in a blue jacket (not really). We have some really confused people here in California.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:05 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

What you're experiencing ,is just a trait of human nature-Jealousy ! When I bought my Mercedes,it tweaked a lot of noses. So, having the warped sense of humor that I do. I got custom plates that said" Paid Off" Just so those that were bothered by my owning something that they perceived as expensive, could really be bothered.
I have since given that car to my son. Yes,it was his first car. At 18 he owned a Mercedes.His home room teacher kicked him out of the class because of it.
I informed him the other day that I was going to go back to a regular number plate when the registration is due,and he asked me not to,because he likes it when the other college kids "flip him off" because of the plate. FYI, when I gave him the Mercedes, I went and bought my first Jaguar. A 2003 XKR. A drunk driver totaled that one. I now have a 2003 XK8. Let them think what they want. Enjoy your Jag. Not everyone drives one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sqeeter91:
Frog (03-21-2013), Sentinelist (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

^ That's great.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,148 Likes on 753 Posts

Chris, it does take awhile to getting accustomed to being 'exposed' with the top down. Look around, make eye contact, smile or give a small wave to onlookers. Don't focus on the
" if I stay real still, they won't notice me " theory. Enjoy the openness all around you and how 'unconfined' it makes you feel while driving fast or in gridlock...its well worth the trade off for 9 out of 10 drivers around you taking a peek at you or your burl walnut dash in envy. Just get cooler sunglasses, fix your hair first before driving or prepare not to touch it at all until you reach your destination...I personally prefer a ball cap approach.

The following users liked this post:
Sentinelist (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
Just get cooler sunglasses, fix your hair first before driving or prepare not to touch it at all until you reach your destination...I personally prefer a ball cap approach.
You don't have a tweed flat cap!?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

I rock the tweed driving hat.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:11 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Lanny
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, and if I offend anyone please let me apologize in advance. I don't mean this to be offensive.
I am new to the world of "nice cars". What I mean by that is I am basically a old Ford or Chevy guy. Most of my cars are street rods or classics. When I drive these cars I usually get a smile and a thumbs up from the motoring public at large. I always try to smile and give a little wave or honk. If I am approached when parked somewhere I am glad to answer questions, or let someone take a picture with my car.
While we were traveling recently in our XK8 I did not get that response. In fact what I perceived was more of an assumption that we were rich *** holes that expected to be treated as such. If they only knew that my car cost less than 10K and that I worked on it constantly to make it run, maybe they would feel differently. I hope I am wrong in this perception. Maybe I just ran into the wrong group of people, but it is not what I am about.
Maybe I am guilty of feeling that way too when I see some of the super cars that some people drive. It is a little different to be on the other side.....
I have yet to get anything but great comments on our '97 most can't believe it's as old as it is. Usually at first they don't know what it is, then when they find out more about it, it's usually something like WOW. The reactions I get are even better than when I first got our X-Type but now there are more of them in town so it's not so unusual. The XK8 is the only game in town. I've sort of gotten use to those thumbs up reviews of my vehicles like the ones I got on my '67 Charger (Original Owner) and my '64 Triumph Bonneville (Original Owner). I guess people in my part of the world are just kinder.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 AM

Will do. A ballcap actually made me feel more comfortable last weekend! I felt it was staying on OK at 70mph too. Though I like the tweed flat cap idea...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,148 Likes on 753 Posts

I could never pull off a flat cap...ever. Maybe i should try a cowboy hat?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

So long as it's not so tall as to poke above the windscreen and get blown off.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

My second car when I was 17 was a 2 year old 63 E Type FHC ser 1. I got pulled by the cops twice in small towns on my way to school thinking I stole it! They always had a vague reason when I asked why they stopped me. Just last week, I was at the local motorcycle store drooling over the new sports bikes and I looked out and the XKR had attracted a crowd....I loved it.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Received 159 Likes on 113 Posts

I am a transplant from the UK, and have lived in the U.S. for over 30 years.
In the old country Jaguar had, and still have the reputation of being an upper middle class car, fairly expensive, good value for money, beautiful designs with a sporting edge based upon their racing heritage. The “Gin and Jag brigade” referenced those whose ‘county’ lifestyle encompassed old English country houses, anything to do with horses, Gin, and the very English attitude that a talented armature is socially superior and preferable to, any professional.
This was exactly the class of people who William Lyons targeted in his sales ad’s, and given his working class background, the class of person he aspired to be. Jags were not often driven by those over 60, they were considered too sporty, they drove Rovers, or Bentley’s, something stately with road presence.

I’ve enjoyed my 1998 XK8 coupe for over 10 years, and recently added a 2008 XK coupe to the stable. I can honestly say I’ve never experienced the sort of social pretentiousness about Jaguars that exists in the UK, and that pleases me beyond words. The fact that outside of the cognoscenti they are unappreciated on this side of the pond, as proved by the appalling depreciation rate, pleases my pocket book too…
Regards,
White Bear

Last edited by White Bear; 03-20-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Frog (03-21-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 PM

Good clarification and synopsis, White Bear!

Maybe in Ft. Worth! That wouldn't fly in Dallas.

Last edited by Sentinelist; 03-20-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Chris, it does take awhile to getting accustomed to being 'exposed' with the top down. Look around, make eye contact, smile or give a small wave to onlookers.
Funny - I never look around ..... not with the Jag, not with the daily driver Honda.

I've gotten nice comments very few times that I can recall .... some co-eds in their SUV asking what car it is, some older guy with his (much) younger wife wanting to know if I wanted to sell mine, and that's all I can remember .... outside of car show events .....

I drove mine to the office sometimes ... but there are so many nice cars at the parking lot. I've seen NSX, V8 Vantage, DB9, Conti GT, ZR1, Viper, Karma, newer XKs, Gallardo, Evora/Esprit/Elise, Quattroporte, Maser Coupe, SL AMGs, GTR, and 911 Turbo/GT3 RS, even a Maybach.

I am with White Bear. In my hometown in SE Asia, Jag is the Queen of England's car. Here, it seems like a nice car ... but that's about it.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Cognoscenti - An expert able to appreciate a field; especially in the fine arts

H20boy (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 679 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by r0m8470
I drove mine to the office sometimes ... but there are so many nice cars at the parking lot. I've seen NSX, V8 Vantage, DB9, Conti GT, ZR1, Viper, Karma, newer XKs, Gallardo, Evora/Esprit/Elise, Quattroporte, Maser Coupe, SL AMGs, GTR, and 911 Turbo/GT3 RS, even a Maybach.
That is one high dollar parking lot!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Being one who likes to have a little fun, my modified 2002 Blue Zircon wears a XJ8 badge onthe rear and not the "R"

Compliments are a usual way of life driving this car. "Now that is how a Jag is supposed to look!" From the hottie in the SL600 at the gas station, etc.

Most people have no idea of the performance of these cars: I always find it amusing if I signal to change lanes and someone 3+ car lengths behind me floors it so as not to "let me in" and I gun it and am pulling away strongly in the blink of an eye. Then, being polite, I wave to thank them for so obviously letting me it. I've seen, several times, people then looking at the XJ8 badge again and being very confused.

I also find it amusing when people try to get too close to my rear bumper before a big sweeping turn on or off the freeway and I simply just don't slow down as I crank the wheel and feel the Gs. This is about the time they come to the reality that they are under steering badly and jam on the brakes.

The XJR is a wolf in sheeps clothing performance wise.

I so much rather be underestimated before any contest

There will always be the assumption of wealth when driving a well maintained Jag. Either wear it or it will wear you. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where this is not an expensive car, (veyrons, lambos, etc are regularly seen here) but it will always be appreciated as a very beautiful car.

I wouldn't expect to see too many Jags in Grass Valley, so they do stand out.
People can usually tell right away if you are snooty or not, so just enjoy.

And Enderle "Miata" hah, Meet Mr. Hyde... Rob's XKR with the mods like the carbon fiber cover for the rear looks more like a supercar than a little cute miata. No amount of steroids could do that to a Miata.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 03-21-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Here in communist France any car worth more than about $50K when new is frowned upon by the revolutionaries.

Which is precisely why I bought my XKR. I simply love wafting about in it, blitzing the occasional Peugeot or Renault that wants to take me on. It's also RHD and has a Côte d'Azur licence plate, which must pi$$ them off even more

Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never needed the approval/disapproval of others to run my life. Those who make negative comments about my Jag, and by extension, me, are easily ignored.

But I've never entirely felt comfortable about accepting compliments about the car. After all, I just BOUGHT it. Accolades should rightly be given to those who conceived, designed and built it. My pleasure is in driving it.

mike66 (03-23-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sambo21
I've never needed the approval/disapproval of others to run my life. Those who make negative comments about my Jag, and by extension, me, are easily ignored.

But I've never entirely felt comfortable about accepting compliments about the car. After all, I just BOUGHT it. Accolades should rightly be given to those who conceived, designed and built it. My pleasure is in driving it.
+1

Quick Reply: Perceived arrogance..? I hope I'm wrong..