XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perceived arrogance..? I hope I'm wrong..

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Perceived arrogance..? I hope I'm wrong..

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, and if I offend anyone please let me apologize in advance. I don't mean this to be offensive.
I am new to the world of "nice cars". What I mean by that is I am basically a old Ford or Chevy guy. Most of my cars are street rods or classics. When I drive these cars I usually get a smile and a thumbs up from the motoring public at large. I always try to smile and give a little wave or honk. If I am approached when parked somewhere I am glad to answer questions, or let someone take a picture with my car.
While we were traveling recently in our XK8 I did not get that response. In fact what I perceived was more of an assumption that we were rich *** holes that expected to be treated as such. If they only knew that my car cost less than 10K and that I worked on it constantly to make it run, maybe they would feel differently. I hope I am wrong in this perception. Maybe I just ran into the wrong group of people, but it is not what I am about.
Maybe I am guilty of feeling that way too when I see some of the super cars that some people drive. It is a little different to be on the other side.....

Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I've had my XK8 for four years, and find that car people appreciate all interesting cars including our Jags. There are always a few people that pre-judge others, and being in a Jag allows them to jump to conclusions. Do not let the minority get you wondering.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

The seas usually part for me when I drive my Jaguars.
Jetta? Not so much.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Everyone seems to appreciate my little blue car. I get waves and comments all the time, especially since it is the only one around.

Perhaps the state you live in has something to do with it.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Judging people by what they drive is unfortunately nothing new. Ignore them.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

In my experience what you are running into is more the exception than the rule. Usually people comment on what a beautiful car it is followed by some comment along the lines of: "You must be some kind of masochist to own a Jag".

I think that perception of being unreliable actually helps, and gives people the idea that you must really love cars to put up with it.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default No problems

Here, in Tucson, Arizona, the ladies seem to love the XKR and the dudes frequently tell me how much they love the sound of the exhaust and the supercharger whining. Folks do think that I'm a rich *******, though. Hah!

Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I have had a few nice exchanges, not while driving but rather from pedestrians when the car is stopped. First time was while I was waiting at a restaurant for the valet to bring the car around. An older gentleman in another group when crazy when my car came up and he was going on and on about how beautiful it was. Another time I was driving through a parking lot and someone walking by shouted at how great the car looked. Another was at a gas station when a guy in a newer Mercedes came over to admire the car.

These vintage XK8/R are still the best looking vehicles on wheels in my opinion. When they are well kept and clean looking it is just impossible not to stare at the perfect lines.

Doug

Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
Here, in Tucson, Arizona, the ladies seem to love the XKR and the dudes frequently tell me how much they love the sound of the exhaust and the supercharger whining. Folks do think that I'm a rich *******, though. Hah!
When I was growing up, driving a nice car meant everything to me. I tried to be as practical and stunning as I could with my rides. Well, many years later I now live in South Padre Island, TX, and we have all ranges of wealth & perceptions. Most people know me here as the local repair guy, or "handy-man". That's fine, because that's what I do. They have no idea of my true wealth, but just to live here and be able to afford the property taxes should be a HUGE indication to them. But people don't put 2 and 2 together....so they are clueless, and jump to many false conclusions. A classic example is when they see me for the first time in such a stunning car, their jaws drop and eyes glaze-over....then say "WOW, when did you get that"....and, "I'm paying WAY TOO MUCH for you to be my handyman!" Truth be known, I remind them of my former life as a Detroit automotive engineer who "knows" the finest automobiles, but never let-on that it's a 16 yr-old car that I only paid $7500 for....not to mention all the "quirks" we put up with to be owners; they have no idea! I may, however, drop the hint now and then that it stickered for over $72K when new.....just for fun! Bottom line.... everyone is generally VERY IMPRESSED!

So, just ENJOY your car....and keep 'em guessing!

-John

The following users liked this post:
berlin1977 (03-19-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Interesting thread actually, and as a XKR (and first convertible) newbie, I can relate. Especially at the age of 32. I've had mine for about 3 months now and have heard the gamut, good and bad. Last week I overheard one of the gals I work with (who didn't realize at first I could hear her), say to her companion on the way out to lunch when they saw me out front about to depart, "what 30-year old with two young boys is able to afford a two-door conver... *realizes I can hear as I glance up with a big grin*... A JAAAAAG?" she exclaims to me. Mind you, I for one feel obligated to immediately squash all the assumptions. "Yep, I just got it- it's 13 years old, fully depreciated! These things tank in value like a rock... you wouldn't believe... 125k miles... It's got some curb rash on the wheels here..." The car speaks for itself obviously and looks like a million bucks, but I don't ever bring up the MSRP. Should I be so defensive? Had a couple typical, "man, they are paying you too much!" jokes too, and the taken-aback reaction when I tell them the car I got they overheard about. It can be an awkward line to walk if you're younger and they assume/don't believe you could drive a car typically matching a six-figure territory (which all of mine do- the Jag is just more, flashy). However, I won't be held responsible for people's automotive ignorance. That's their problem, not mine, as I enjoy blissful (so far) supercharged Jag ownership. "Hey, someone's gotta own these cars after the original owners dump them off lease- where do they go?"

Do like I must do. Look at these people as the ones that ruined the Volkswagen Phaeton for North America. The ones that think any clean car is a new car. The ones that think any new car you have is a 'new' car. As I ease out of my parking spot aside a 2013 Elantra and a 2012 Altima under hefty payment plans (oh yeah, way sub-$10k here, cash, only known to me and my wife), I feel I'm either incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid.

Now take all of that... and then let's talk about dropping the top and simply commuting home. Is it just me or is it uncomfortable? I feel everyone is staring and judging me. I can't have the radio on- any kind of music I feel. I'm constantly concerned about being heckled. "What if a scratch my nose... it really itches here..." No way to fix my hair either. Oh no, douchebag central if I look in the mirror and fix my muss from the wind. Why did I buy these Ray-Ban Aviators? Did I have to wear the light pink shirt today? @#$%. @#$%. @#$%. JUST. SIT. STILL. I've rehearsed my universal response to whatever may be shouted at me- smirk and nod, play with the AC settings... It makes me wish I got the coupe. Or maybe it's just a personal problem I need to get over.

P.s.: I used to have a great vanity plate. 'THX.BYE.' It was too much. I couldn't put it on the Jag.

Last edited by Sentinelist; 03-18-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Hey Lanny,
I have had my 2002 XKR about 3 years, and it has become my daily driver. I have never owned an automobile, including my beautiful De Tomaso Pantera, that garners as much attention as my Jaguar. It is a daily occurrence that I get compliments from people at bus stops, in parking lots, at gas stations, and restaurants, etc. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to describe who comments, snobby or not, rich or poor, everyone seems to appreciate it, and the comments are simply complimentary not judgmental. Just enjoy your cat, after all, it's only you that you have to impress. It's simply beautiful!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe this will put a little perspective on things....

My daughter was in her first week at college when her new roommate came in with her parents. The girls mom turns to my daughter and says, "Nice to meet you honey, where are you from?" my daughter replies "I'm from Long Island" the mom then says "Oh so your parents are rich." My daughter (with all her student loans) just looks at the mom with ????????????? in her eyes.

We all have preconceived notions, its a human flaw. Just roll with it.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,298 Likes on 2,823 Posts

Lots of great advice already offered. I'll just say this: Most of us acquired these cars after they were fully depreciated for what I've always called "Honda money". So the primary commitment is not in obtaining the car, but in maintaining the car. As long as you have the time, the expendible funds, and the interest in doing so, just drive your car and don't waste your time with even the slightest concern about what others may think, say, or do regarding it. These cars are indeed gorgeous, timeless, and almost always cause the ill-informed to believe that you spent five times or more than you actually did to purchase yours. You can educate them or let them go on believing whatever they want - your choice. I just smile, thank them for the compliment, and tell them that it is by far my wife's favorite vehicle she's ever owned. If they are interested and ask questions, I do my best to cover the pros and cons and allow them to reach their own conclusions about whether they want to pursue acquiring one. We all know that these cars are not for everyone. Most folks would not put up with the quirks and high maintenance required to keep them in good running order....

Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

the name carries a level of class with it that people seem to respect, regardless of whether a lot of people want to buy it or not.

BMW and Merc are a dime a dozen, its like seeing a honda civic on the road. its so common (for me atleast) to hear someone got a new BMW or Merc.....however when they see a jag....it triggers something in their head....Oh something new

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Everyone seems to appreciate my little blue car. I get waves and comments all the time, especially since it is the only one around.

Perhaps the state you live in has something to do with it.
Tom, When I get home next week I will come and drive around Elijay for a day so you won't feel alone!

malcolm

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

That's it. I am getting a custom license plate: "KBB 14K".

No, I'm not. But I think the phenomenon you all write about is real. My own wife thinks it is too "showy", which is partly why my first Jag is gone. But she is perfectly comfortable driving a new Lexus Hybrid SUV. It's not logical but that never stopped anyone and she has other things that offset that flaw!

I think the car is timeless and it "has done it for me" for over 10 years. I can't see not owning one. It makes me happy just to go out in the garage and look at it, let alone drive it.

I am in the Consulting business and I cannot show up to client sites in my Jag. Based on the experience of some of my peers, too many would get the old "How much are we paying these guys" bias (which is funny). Other than that bit of sidestepping I go top down, radio cranking, sunglasses on, over to Walmart when Mobil 1 is on sale and park far away from all the other cars in their lot! I say "Hi" or make a positive gesture to everyone there who makes eye contact. It's all good. : )

Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
The seas usually part for me when I drive my Jaguars.
Jetta? Not so much.
Seas might part, but I bet the traffic does not!!!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Something you said Jacsun reminded me of something that happened to me almost 20 years ago. At that time I had a going business in the field of electronics. I would occasionally visit my customers driving one of my old collector cars. It was sort of my trademark. Some customers got a big kick out of it, some didn't care one way or another. In 1994 we had a banner year and I decided to splurge on a "company car". I bought a new Dodge Viper. There were buyers that actually stopped ordering from us. The buzz on the street was that if we could afford that kind of car we must be overcharging our customers. We survived just fine, but it was a lesson of sorts. So, I know what you speak of.......Thanks to all for your perspectives.
Lanny

The following users liked this post:
Jacsun (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

High time for the European perspective (not true, NL is too small to speak for Europe) Anyways, all sentiments described in this thread do resonate with me. I find myself telling people a lot of times that it's just a 10K toy, but sometimes it feels like people choose to ignore that info, because it seems to not make sense that so much beauty comes for so little money... My XK is one of 3 in a 100 mile radius, in a mostly rural area. Taking it to the more urban and poche places in NL the attitudes are noticeably different: mostly the car is ignored, as it is not considered as valuable as the new Porsches and Ferraris that have the bling bling that goes with the cities.
So indeed, complicated matters, both in the old and the new world apparently. But minor , easily overcome and well worth it, right?

Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

It's all a matter of perspective. Many years ago I was taking my daughter (then 3 now 28) to daycare in my yellow TR7. A 5 year old boy walked up to the car and said "Mom, look a Ferrari!". In his eyes, it was something special. In my daughter's eye it was just "baby car".

Quick Reply: Perceived arrogance..? I hope I'm wrong..