XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Permanent Battery Charger Connections

Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Permanent Battery Charger Connections

While I was searching for a parasitic battery drain, I decided to make charging the battery a bit easier. A dedicated 8-10 Gauge DC connector was purchased off eBay for $5. One end is spliced onto the charger leads and the other end to the front charger terminal using the ground on the shock tower post. (I also spliced a third connector to the alligator clips on the cutoff charge cable so it could be used as a regular charger)

The positive connector wire is attached to the front charging post in the engine bay, and the negative was connected to the 13mm stud on the shock tower. The wire was snaked around the compartment and then runs through the plastic tray below the windshield where it terminates at the passenger side drain basin. The only permanent modification was to drill a 5/8th in hole in the plastic tray. A grommet seals the cable, and a short length of wire loom wrap provides a finished look.

When the hood is closed, the connector end is tucked under itself, in the drain basin, below the corner edge of the hood. It can be retrieved and plugged into the charge without opening the hood itself.

Attached Thumbnails Permanent Battery Charger Connections-dcharger-11-.jpg   Permanent Battery Charger Connections-acharger-1-.jpg   Permanent Battery Charger Connections-bcharger.jpg   Permanent Battery Charger Connections-ccharger.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by GordoCatCar:
Dale Dunn (12-22-2016), Dennis07 (12-19-2016), rothwell (12-22-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

I wish someone would come out with a wireless charger. Pull into the garage and the car sucks up a trickle without hooking anything up....

come on engineers, you could make some money off this idea.....

Old 12-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Good one . . . Well done, that man!
My alternative came via the smart charger / battery maintainer itself. My version came with red cable which I hard wired via fuse in boot/trunk Power Distribution section of fuse box plus black cable which I hard wired to battery ground point . . . both cables terminating at a small quick connect line socket that peeks out from corner of boot mat.

After garaging, lift boot, plug smart charger into boot socket, close boot (rubber seal ensures cables won't damage), lock car and turn on smart charger at wall switch. Whether a few days or a month later, pop boot, unplug and drive . . . always with a fully charged battery.

Identical setups on both my XK8 and S-Type; XJ-S to follow suit; but for XJ6, with battery up front, I think I'll adopt your approach.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 12-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by scottatl
I wish someone would come out with a wireless charger. Pull into the garage and the car sucks up a trickle without hooking anything up....

come on engineers, you could make some money off this idea.....
So you're channeling Nikola Tesla!

Not impossible, but I don't think it will make economic sense any time soon. This kind of thing is coming on line though in low-power applications like smartphone charging.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:59 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 1,700 Posts

This is the charger I am using. It fits in the trunk on top of the fuse box and is permanently connected to the battery. When I need to charge it I just plug it in. Have been thinking of an external plug to the charger that I can plug it in without opening the trunk. Next project!!

Sorry I uploaded the photo twice and do not see it. I see it now.

Attached Thumbnails Permanent Battery Charger Connections-img_2961-2.jpg  

Last edited by Gus; 12-19-2016 at 02:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GordoCatCar (12-19-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Good idea. I like that and have everything on hand to do it