XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piano black steering wheel, and custom dash accent.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Piano black steering wheel, and custom dash accent.

I've finished my interior, except for the new seat skins with black suede inserts, but the only issue now is the steering wheel. I've used a cover for now and it's not awful but it makes the wheel so much bigger. I'd really like to buy a donar wheel off ebay and have the wood finished in piano black to match my shifter.
My painter says he can paint it black and use a special marine clear that's tougher than regular paint but I assumed someone could refinish in piano black. He is also,going to paint my vents in gloss black too. I've always hated the plastic finish.
I've contacted British Autowood but no response.
Any suggestion?
Piano black steering wheel, and custom dash accent.-image.jpg
I'm also having a custom piano black strip made to use at the bottom of the fascia. Similar to the new XF wood dash insert. It's a two inch three piece strip that will start on the main instrument cluster and span across the bottom of the facia panels and taper off on the air bag panel.

Last edited by philhef; 10-13-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW!! That looks great.

The following users liked this post:
philhef (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1jarhead2
WOW!! That looks great.
Just not happy with steering wheel!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I've finished my interior, except for the new seat skins with black suede inserts...
Phil, only you could say you're done "except for the biggest part of the interior" and get away with it.

...but the only issue now is the steering wheel. I've used a cover for now and it's not awful but it makes the wheel so much bigger. I'd really like to buy a donar wheel off ebay and have the wood finished in piano black to match my shifter.
A really good idea. The piano black for the wheel should look great with that interior.

I'm also having a custom piano black strip made to use at the bottom of the fascia. Similar to the new XF wood dash insert. It's a two inch three piece strip that will start on the main instrument cluster and span across the bottom of the facia panels and taper off on the air bag panel.
One of your best ideas yet. It will add a nice touch and break up all that silver.

I love reading about your adventures and experiments with styling. Always interesting and always adventuresome. Keep it up.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Phil, only you could say you're done "except for the biggest part of the interior" and get away with it.

A really good idea. The piano black for the wheel should look great with that interior.

One of your best ideas yet. It will add a nice touch and break up all that silver.

I love reading about your adventures and experiments with styling. Always interesting and always adventuresome. Keep it up.
As for the seats, I don't do that part!! Lol so technically, I am done!!
Here's a photo of the idea for the black piece. The guy that did my stereo dash kit to custom fit the adaptor is going to make them for me. I've cut the templates and sending tomorrow. I hope they will curve enough to stick and it lift. He says if I roll them on a packing tube and let them get hot, they should hold the curve.
Here's a pic of inspiration. Piano black steering wheel, and custom dash accent.-image.jpg
I'm really happy with the transformation so far. After driving a new Ftype, I really liked the all metal interior. My brother wants me to make a side grab bar to mimic the F. Now I can't get it out of my head! Top stitched leather, screwed from the inside on the center console, and lit with led strip underneath. Might make it and take a look, but not install unless it really works!!

Jag#4 (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philhef
As for the seats, I don't do that part!! Lol so technically, I am done!!
No one truly believes you are done. Not a bad thing, just fact.

Have you considered moving the black accent strip up just a little and letting maybe an inch of the silver show at the bottom of the dash panel? Might make for more contrast.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

No one truly believes you are done. Not a bad thing, just fact.

Have you considered moving the black accent strip up just a little and letting maybe an inch of the silver show at the bottom of the dash panel? Might make for more contrast.
That's the good thing with the strip. There's enough space to do just that if it won't curve.
I can't imagine ever not doing things to my cars! Although I tend to focus back in my house in the winter. Planning on adding a new bathroom. Don't think that would be of interest to the forum!! Lol unless of course a Jaguar theme!!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philhef
Although I tend to focus back in my house in the winter. Planning on adding a new bathroom. Don't think that would be of interest to the forum!! Lol unless of course a Jaguar theme!!
It would then be called a cat box.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Default Mock up of piano black strip.

I used some r tea racing stripe tape and fine chrome trim and I'm so happy with it I may leave it!! A bit of tweaking but it's exactly what I want!!

The following 2 users liked this post by philhef:
ccfulton (10-13-2013), User 070620 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Now about that steering wheel...

Best get going on that piano black steering wheel. The current one only detracts from the fine mods you've done so far.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Check on eBay for a guy that makes wood shift knobs that Jaguar should envy. He does a finish that is better than original . . . I have one. Of course, your shift knob should be piano black to match the wheel.

Being some what a purist I do miss the wood on the dash. Perhaps refinish a bright wood dash with black clear . . . but you have already made that leap.

Last edited by test point; 10-13-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The piano black finisher makes a big difference. I was thinking it was too cold with just the brushed metal, but the extra contrast looks very nice.

I'm curious, what did you end up doing around the steering column?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Now about that steering wheel...

Best get going on that piano black steering wheel. The current one only detracts from the fine mods you've done so far.
Just ordered a used one off ebay and sending it to British Autowood to refinish in piano black.
I'm also going to taper the black finisher strip a bit more. It curvs down too abruptly. I want it more like my XF piece.
Since I've already got the piano black shifter and other trim pieces, hopefully everything will look complete.
Ignore the bad edge on the wrap! It has been re wrapped!!

Last edited by philhef; 10-13-2013 at 09:31 PM.
User 070620 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

If you could somehow match the curvature of the top dashboard....

Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm a real fan of the wood and normally don't like going away from the natural wood but this looks great. Well done!

Mark

Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bad Cattitude
If you could somehow match the curvature of the top dashboard....
I've already taken the black off and cut a new template. It's not as long and I used the top to cut a curve so it looks much better.
That was just a test to see if it would work so ow it's on to having the correct piece made. And I may or may not use the chrome trim once I get the piece in.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

My only neg comment is that the new look is so refined and elegant that the big growler emblem looks out of place . You are a talented designer. The bathroom pics can get posted in general discussion. We had a look at Brutal's garage a while back..........

Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mike66
My only neg comment is that the new look is so refined and elegant that the big growler emblem looks out of place . You are a talented designer. The bathroom pics can get posted in general discussion. We had a look at Brutal's garage a while back..........
It will get re positioned once the black strips are replaced. It does look strange in the photos but in person it looks totally different. It actually blends in. Of course it's not permanent and can be removed.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Sorry to keep hijacking- but I wonder how it would look if instead of the piano black strip you left the wood exposed and added the chrome strip? Kind of a touch of wood, a touch of metal?

Old 10-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Sorry to keep hijacking- but I wonder how it would look if instead of the piano black strip you left the wood exposed and added the chrome strip? Kind of a touch of wood, a touch of metal?
Thought about that but the wood is so faded its very yellow.

Quick Reply: Piano black steering wheel, and custom dash accent.