XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Window Problems - 98 Xk8

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Power Window Problems - 98 Xk8

I have a 1998 XK8 Coupe. Over the past 2 montha I've been having problems with my driver side window either not going up or going down. Sometimes when I shut the door the window will not move back up into the closed position automatically. I have tried the reset proceedures of holding the buttons for 10 seconds while down, then 10 seconds in up position. The window no longer moves or reacts to the switch.

I had the Power Window Motor Replaced and the battery also. It worked for a couple days and then whenever I opened the drivers door the window would droped 1-2", but it would not go up. Each time I opened the door this continued to happen with the window going down, but not up. Very frustrating here in Wisconsin. BRrrrrrrr.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be the problem now? The mechanic thought it might be a bad wire in the wiring harness or the power window door switch. What is a Power Window Control Module? I saw that part on a web site, but don't know where it is located.

Any suggestions??? Please help!!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

You might want to try a full reboot of the computers. Disconnect the positive battery cable and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Touch the positive cable to the negative post for a quick second. Re-connect the positive battery cable. Reset the windows and any other memory required devices. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How many computers are in an XK8? Mine is a 2000. Is there a "black box" type that records speed ect that can be read if you're in an accident by an insurance company or dealer?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I don't know how many computers it has, but what constitutes a computer in a car is variable. It is my understanding that since OBDII, the "computer" will keep that information for a specific amount of run time. Don't know that time though.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I did purchase and have installed a new Battery and the problem kept happening. My mechanic indicated he that the wiring harness had some frayed wires and that could be the problem. Also, rain or when I was the car seemed to have the problem pop up. For now I disconnected the wiring harness so the window stays up. At least I can drive in the cold Wisconsin weather until I nac get a replacement wiring harness. The car has custom does that open up like a lambo.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

John, did you ever get the problem fixed? I'm now having the exact same problem you described in my 2001 XKR.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 PM

same exact problem here too. I took apart the driver side window switch and found lots of corrosion - cleaned and re-assembled and no luck.

I find that if the glass is up enough to grab I can help lift it, but not enough oomph to do it itself.

Will go down by itself, but very slowly and only for a few inches each time button is pressed.

good battery - was tested

anyone have a wiring diagram for this ?

The following users liked this post:
crowpath (07-04-2014)
Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Wiring diagrams can be found on the XK8/R forum in the FAQ sticky.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 PM

I have the EXACT same problem in 97 xk8

took apart window switch, had light corrosion, i cleaned and reinstalled - no luck

everyone on here pointed to the battery, replaced. no luck

Ordered replacement motor. nothing.

I gave up and took to dealership - was a bad switch. Looked perfect to me - no signs of bad traces on board or anything.

Bought one from salvage yard ( hears gasps from some members here) popped it in and works like a charm $40

Old 06-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

wow, I bet you wish you found that sooner kerrhill, thanks for following up with the thread! Did you keep the old one, some previous posters may want to see what happened in the old one.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:50 AM

i do still have the old one. I'll take some close up pics of the pcb and post in new thread.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same problem on my XK8 2003.
At the beginning window did not worked properly, not opening with the door, not closing, and so on, then in the middle of the run it starting making a bad noise, something like a "tlang tlang".
so unmounted door panel and checked, I've seen one of the two arms of the motor compass (don't know if the name is right) was a little bent !
Now I made it stright again and everythings seems working fine, but It need to be reinforced, otherwise in two days will be bent again.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Same problem on my 1998 XK8 Convertible. At first, right window was behaving crazy, popping down three times when roof was opening, not lifting full up when roof was closed, moving up and down when door handle was lifted.
At local Jaguar dealer mechanic tried to reset keeping switch down 5" when full down and 5" full up, and worked correctly for two minutes then died.
Now Jaguar dealer tells me that electric motor is gone and asks 965€ for new motor + VAT + assembling, or 500€ + VAT + assembling for a second hand motor coming from a similar jag with broken engine (just received the telephone call and I am still shaking...).

I feel something strange and I'll drive the car to my Bosch mechanic that I fully trust to have a second advice.

Does this make any sense to experts in the forum?

Ciao
Luca

Old 07-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.

In addition to all different electrical problems (battery, microswitches, door control module, etc. ) it could be a mechanical problem. The window mechanism contains lots of guide rails, scissor type lowering mechanism and numerous adjustment screws and bolts.
In my case one of the windows got partly stuck on occations. Removed the door card and checked all bolts and nuts I could find. It turned out it was the screw for height adjustment that had come lose. Fixed that and no more problems.
At the same time I adjusted the fore/aft and in/out tilting of the door glass to get a tight fit to the rear quarter window. No more wind noise.
Instructions to be found in FAQ sections.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Bosch mechanic found electric motor gone and attempts to restart failed.
Need to order a new one, 500€+vat (bad word)
And I'm told I'm lucky cause complete with mechanism would be 1000€.
I decided to buy original Jag this time; anybody tested the Cardone parts? Reliable? I'd like to know for next time...
Thanks and ciao
Luca

Old 07-27-2012, 05:02 AM
Default 1997 RHD XK8 window problems

Hi all,

have had my new purchase 1 week and have been enjoying the Northern French sunshine (we don't get too much) with the roof down, however the car has suddenly developed a problem with the passenger window.

2. When opening the door the widow drops lower than than normal and does not rise to the full height position once the door is closed

1 When opening the hood the window make a juddering travel downwards and stops early not entering the door.

3. When closing the roof the window does not raise up.

I attach a video and picture

any ideas on how to investigate and fix this

Cheers

Richard

Attached Thumbnails Power Window Problems - 98 Xk8-img_2451.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
MVI_2447.wmv (1.97 MB, 259 views)
Old 07-27-2012, 05:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Have you had the battery disconnected or is it getting old? Weak batteries can cause all kinds of electrical gremlins on the XK8's.

First thing to check is the window travel limits. With hood up and doors closed, raise the driver's window and hold the switch until you hear a soft click. Lower and hold the switch again until you hear a click. Repeat for the passenger side.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
rtucker (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 07:38 AM

Hi GGG,

I have checked the windows to see that they make the soft click at the top and bottom of the travel, this seems to be ok

As for the battery It does not look new should I be considering to change it or is it better to charge it first and see what happens

Cheers Richard

Old 07-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

If the car was sitting for a long time without being driven before it was sold the battery might just need a charge....so it might be worth a try.

If it happens again after a charge, do not waste your time any further and replace the battery.

Quick Reply: Power Window Problems - 98 Xk8