XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with xk8 radio/6 cd changer EXPERT advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem with xk8 radio/6 cd changer EXPERT advise needed

If i roll over a speed bump or step on the gas or even turn it switches my music from my cd to radio? i have no idea what is causing this also if you turn the audio level to fast it might go lower when you are asking it to go higher and if you move the *** slow it will work fine? is it that the electronics is messed up and if so what part will it be a easy fix i want to learn to do things myself.. is it a problem with the 6 cd changer or is it the radio? or bad wiring? the model is a 2001 xk8 convertible

Old 06-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

It sounds like a head unit problem to me, not the cheapest of things to buy secondhand maybe someone here has replaced there's with a modern item has there's going.... Remember you will need the radio code (4 digit) or at least the original vehicles chassis number so you can obtain it.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I have a 2002 XKR and just replaced the head unit. If this will work in your 2001 XK8, you can have it; just pay the shipping. PM me if you want it after you confirm that it will work in you car. I do not have the radio code but can get the chassis number if someone will tell me where to look.

Mark

Old 06-06-2012, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Thats a generous offer!!..... It will work.... and the chassis number you will find in your drivers side widow (I think) unless US XKs are different, you will only need the last 6 digits

Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

US cars have been programmed to not need a radio car, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

I said that recently, then the poor guy was scrambling to get the code from his dealer when the radio wouldn't play!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by KADMIRI
If i roll over a speed bump or step on the gas or even turn it switches my music from my cd to radio? i have no idea what is causing this also if you turn the audio level to fast it might go lower when you are asking it to go higher and if you move the *** slow it will work fine? is it that the electronics is messed up and if so what part will it be a easy fix i want to learn to do things myself.. is it a problem with the 6 cd changer or is it the radio? or bad wiring? the model is a 2001 xk8 convertible

Are you aware there is a button on the left side of your steering wheel that switches from CD to radio? I have seen several occasions where people unkowingly accidently press it while driving.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:13 PM

My 1998 xk8 cd player stopped working today, The message is the it does not find the cds . Later, sometimes days , it will start again like it never happened. The sound is great and I can not find a code. What is happening??

Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Jagmon
Sounds like it may be jammed, it's a easy fix Here's the directions.
how to mend it .com - 1998 Jaguar XJ8 CD Changer - No Disk Error?

Old 06-07-2012, 02:54 AM

how to remove cd changer from trunk? please help with image. no dosk error

Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Don't have any images but here's the directions
Gently pull back carpeting from cd changer. remove 4 small philip head screws to remove changer. Disconnect pin connector and remove unit from trunk. remove the 6 small philip head screws from cd player casing. Gently seperate the rear of the casing (gently pry away tabs near main wire). Open the unit like a clamshell at the back of the changer. Using a flashlight illuminate the internals. Spray a SMALL amount of lubricant (I used white lithium grease with long skinny straw attachment) onto the exposed gears and levers inside the unit. Temporarily plug unit into the wire harness and test before re-install. Repeat lubricant proceedure if "no love" and try again. My unit took two tries but then started reading and running properly ever since-I hope this works for you as this seems a common problem on this car. On a side note sold a Mercedes S-430 after spending $7000 on "maintenence" on a car with 80k miles the 2000 Jaguar XJ8 has been a much better car so far!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts
Question Still have a question

I pulled back the carpet to get to the changer. There are indeed small screws holding it in. However, it is also mounted to a larger piece that is bolted to the trunk floor (boot bottom?) and blocks the changer holding screws. I do not see any holes on this larger piece that give access to the changer screw heads.

Am I missing something? Or on my 2001 do I have to take the entire mount out. This is a much more involved effort as the amp, top motor and more stuff all are bolted here.

Any further help is appreciated.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
I pulled back the carpet to get to the changer. There are indeed small screws holding it in. However, it is also mounted to a larger piece that is bolted to the trunk floor (boot bottom?) and blocks the changer holding screws. I do not see any holes on this larger piece that give access to the changer screw heads.

Am I missing something? Or on my 2001 do I have to take the entire mount out. This is a much more involved effort as the amp, top motor and more stuff all are bolted here.

Any further help is appreciated.
There are two gold colored hex screws on the top of the black chassis, and another two on the upper sides of the black chassis.

Remove all four of these. Then the inner rack can be slid out from the outer chassis. At this point you can remove any screws retaining the CD changer.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds simple enough. I'll go back out and try it tonight. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I am a fair enough mechanic for the usual maintenance, but this CD changer fix seems to have the best of me. Took changer completely out of the frame where I could easily get to the gears. Still doesn't travel full length and I can't seem to get it past its stopping point. Can't see how to remove the drive gear as suggested in the older thread (looks riveted on?), so I have buttoned it up for the night.

I have the changer sitting on my bench and if I get a break from the Father's Day activities tomorrow, I'll give it another go.

Attached are pictures taken during the process, minus of course those that are not suitable for viewers under 35. (Will blood from your hand short out the wiring?) Maybe this will help someone.

Attached Thumbnails Problem with xk8 radio/6 cd changer EXPERT advise needed-cd-changer1.jpg   Problem with xk8 radio/6 cd changer EXPERT advise needed-cd-changer3.jpg   Problem with xk8 radio/6 cd changer EXPERT advise needed-cd-changer4.jpg   Problem with xk8 radio/6 cd changer EXPERT advise needed-cd-changer5.jpg   Problem with xk8 radio/6 cd changer EXPERT advise needed-cd-changer6.jpg  

Problem with xk8 radio/6 cd changer EXPERT advise needed-cd-changer7.jpg   Problem with xk8 radio/6 cd changer EXPERT advise needed-cd-changer2.jpg  
jagmon (08-29-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree with white XKR generally curd in the steering wheel button or driver hitting it also if the kmu pin is loose it will cause this over bumps if the button feels loose and moves from side to side then replace it same with the radio volume switch, I have seen peope replace entire sound system and it the steering wheel

Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Unhappy

Decided to attempt the changer fix again. At one point yesterday, the FM side of the radio had stopped working. Today, with no assistance from me, it is again working just fine.

I got better access to the worm gears on the changer and worked them to what I think is the full stop position. But when I hooked it up to test, the head unit no longer recognizes CD mode. I have tried all the controls to switch it, but it is not recognizing CD mode in any fashion. The fuse index shows radio/tape only and the radio is OK. Is there another fuse for the CD player or have I fried something? I'm sure this will be humorous someday, just not today.

Maybe I don't really need a CD player.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:34 PM

My cd player stopped working and there is a code EE-01.? Radio works fine

Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the same code and same issues with my CD changer over a year ago. Removed the unit, dismantled it and cleaned all the moving parts I could access. I Applied a very light amount of grease and reinstalled the unit. It worked fine for about another six months and finally died. I replaced it with a new Jaguar unit and it was rather expensive...$400. When these CD units start to fail they can be a constant source of annoyance. And, as you have discoverd they are a real pain to remove and replace.

69duke (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 AM

Thanks I was afraid of that. I just replaced the unit this summer with a used one. It worked great. I was just listening to the radio and pushed the cd button and the EE-01 jumped up. I guess Ill clean it and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Problem with xk8 radio/6 cd changer EXPERT advise needed