XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions, BTW Hi.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Questions, BTW Hi.

If I keep reading my wife will just kill me. Yes I am using the search function and I am reading as much as possible......I have a few questions.
Regarding a 2000 XKR

Do they come with LSD
What is the gear ratio
How do you manually use 1st gear
Best mods for under 2k for reliability and performance, Please assume all suspension is rebuilt and gaskets o'rings and supercharger is resealed etc.

Thanks fellas.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

XKs do not come with a limited slip differentials. This is to differentiate it from big brother Aston Martin. However, there are aftermarket LSDs available. I am currently fitting a Quaife ATB LSD, the cost is about $1500 for the LSD and about the same to get it installed by an independent.

The rear axial ratio is 3.06, except fro Mexico, where it's 3.27.

The way the J-gate works is that what ever gear 4th, 3rd, 2nd that you shift to will be the highest gear the car will shift to automatically. I do not know of a way to control when 1st gear is used.

There are many, many mods you can do, one of the easiest is to replace the middle silencers with a cross over pipe. This will open up the exhaust and give you some more power. Another popular mod is to replace the upper, lower, or both supercharger pulleys. Depending on exactly what you do, you may be able to do both these mods for under $2k.

That said, with a 2000 XK, the first thing you need to do is check that the timing chain tensioners have been replaced with 3rd generation tensioners. The 1st and 2nd generation tensioners were mostly or partly plastic, which were subject to failure and result in catastrophic engine failure. There are many threads in this forum discussing this issue.

Mark

Last edited by mjlaris; 03-21-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
XKs do not come with a limited slip differentials. This is to differentiate it from big brother Aston Martin. However, there are aftermarket LSDs available. I am currently fitting a Quaife ATB LSD, the cost is about $1500 for the LSD and about the same to get it installed by an independent.

The rear axial ratio is 3.06, except fro Mexico, where it's 3.27.

The way the J-gate works is that what ever gear 4th, 3rd, 2nd that you shift to will be the highest gear the car will shift to automatically. I do not know of a way to control when 1st gear is used.

There are many, many mods you can do, one of the easiest is to replace the middle silencers with a cross over pipe. This will open up the exhaust and give you some more power. Another popular mod is to replace the upper, lower, or both supercharger pulleys. Depending on exactly what you do, you may be able to do both these mods for under $2k.

That said, with a 2000 XK, the first thing you need to do is check that the timing chain tensioners have been replaced with 3rd generation tensioners. The 1st and 2nd generation tensioners were mostly or partly plastic, which were subject to failure and result in catastrophic engine failure. There are many threads in this forum discussing this issue.

Mark
Thank you!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

If you're in SPORT mode, and start the j-gate in 2nd, it actually begins in 1st, then shifts for you, then stays in 2nd.

Check the FAQ thread for the 'adjust your throttle cable' link, it'll feel like a performance modification, and cost you nothing.