Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick release coupler woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Quick release coupler woes

Hi folks,
This is the first time I've attempted this job so apologies for a possible high quota of dumbness!
Trying to replace fuel-filter that has 'quick release' type push-on connectors. The tank side disconnected fairly easily but the engine side just wouldn't let go. After 2 days and copious amounts of Plus-gas it finally released; unfortunately it was the seal that parted from the connector still stuck to the 8mm filter pipe . After carefully removing and cleaning the seal and O-rings I'm left with these parts>>

Has this happened to anyone else? (This was a no-name filter which had been in for some time - the pipe section was solid with alum. type corrosion)
Is it viable to refit the (good condition) seal and O rings over the new filter and just push the whole lot back into the plastic cover without any leakage?

Last resort - is it possible to replace just the quick-release connector alone?

Finally what's the purpose of the two blue clips supplied with the Jaguar replacement, are they for a non-XK8 cars?

Many thanks
Andrew

Old 05-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I replace mine a while back, and did not use the plastic contraptions that came with it. I assumed it was for some other quick-disconnect setup.

Easy for me to say as I am not doing the work, but for fuel, I would not take any chances. Not sure how hot the exhaust system gets so far back, but raw fuel from a leak does not seem smart. Hot brakes are another source of heat, too. At least one forum member has lost a car due to a fuel leak after a fuel pump repair.

You have 2 options I suppose:

One is to cut off the old quick connect and splice a new one in. The hard part will be to identify that connector by name and order the right size. Also, you have to work out a splice further up on the existing hose.

Other option is to write off the quick connectors on both sides, and use the barb-type filter for the earlier years. Make the hose slip over the end, and clamp it.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You are probably not the first and won't be the last to have a coupling fall apart. Take aa look at this Dorman answer. It is a union for fuel lines that will connect 2 tubes.

Dorman OE Solutions 800-190 - Fuel Line Unions | O'Reilly Auto Parts