XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Radiator choices

Here is some information about radiators that I couldn't find in the forum that eventually someone will find helpful. Due to a leak in the usual place on my XK8 radiator, I was searching for a reasonably priced replacement. Several members have installed Nissens, so I bought one from RockAuto. It was the least expensive radiator that I ever bought, and I know better. Went down that road with a Grand Cherokee. I don't know about the other brands, other than many of them are also Nissens, so be aware. What I want to do here is to show the difference between the real OEM and the claimed OE. Shown are the Jag part on the left and the Nissens, right. Note the amount and size of the coolant tubes (25 on the Nissens, 50 on the Jag) and the fin construction.

Attached Thumbnails Radiator choices-imag1197a.jpg   Radiator choices-imag1198a.jpg  
Old 01-18-2016, 08:52 PM

Seal channels on the Jag part, left, none on the other, right.

Attached Thumbnails Radiator choices-imag1202.jpg   Radiator choices-imag1200.jpg  
Old 01-18-2016, 09:00 PM

A closer look. Jag on the left.

Attached Thumbnails Radiator choices-imag1201.jpg   Radiator choices-imag1199.jpg  
Old 01-18-2016, 09:08 PM

Here is the TOC, it holds about 4 ounces of fluid (I measured). This is the external thread type. Note that it is made of aluminum and easy to cross thread, mine came conveniently cross threaded from the factory. It took me a day to dig the threads out of the steal fitting on the line. Thanks Nevil!

Attached Thumbnails Radiator choices-imag1192.jpg  
Old 01-18-2016, 09:18 PM

Here is an end on view of the Jag part. That looks like a lot of cooling capacity compared to the other. Knowing what we do about our temp gauge, I just don't trust the other one. $$$o, there it is.

Attached Thumbnails Radiator choices-imag1193.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by OhWhatNow:
Jag Pilot (01-18-2016), larueb (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I did a little research when I replaced my radiator in my '99. I went with a used one due to the issues you point out and not happy with the "just as good as" scenario.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:09 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I am amazed that a factory that produces many hundreds of coolers could or would produce 1 bad one and install it radiator with cross threaded toc fittings. The likely scenario is that the part was a return from someone that stripped it and claimed it was a new return to the seller and they did not check upon receipt. I have experience in such matters since I sell many hundreds of radiators each year from many different manufactures. Nissens is a very high quality part and the differences you see in construction are not detrimental to the function of the part. Heat exchange in a automotive application is about surface area and air flow. The tube and fin design is extremely efficient in heat transfer. The fins per inch are an important part of the heat transfer mechanism and the nissens part has lots of them.
I have never received a radiator from a manufacturer with a stripped cooler. I only see them when returned from a customer that has done the damage.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

Definitely noticeable physical differences between the 2 but having just installed the Nissen, I am noticing temps are running 197-199F where I was running 199-203 prior to replacement. Will update after a few months of operation

Old 01-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I installed a Nissens radiator for my X Type over a year ago, and have had no problems. This car runs cooler than anything I have, including a brand new Cherokee. I bought this brand because of luck I have had with it on my other vehicles, through the years, and have never had stripped out transmission cooler fittings. Did your car overheat with the new Nissens radiator, and did you flush out the engine before installing it? Just a little curious. They sell a lot of radiators, and I can't imagine a company remaining in business this long, if they were selling junk. Owning one of these cars is pretty much based on being able to locate good aftermarket suppliers, and your's is the first complaint I have heard about, pertaining to Nissens radiators....My 2 cents.....Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 01-23-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:08 PM

I bought the Nissens but didn't install it. The radiator that was in the car was original to the car, it was leaking in the usual place where the factory installed radiators leak, just above the hose on the R/H side. What I meant when writing of the stripped TOC fitting is that it was cross threaded when installed as the car was being built.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:47 PM

A used radiator will soon have the same problem as the original. They can be disassembled and have a new gasket put between the header and tanks if the tanks are in good shape. Most times it is more cost efficient to replace it with a quality part. Nissens is such a part.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:17 PM

Now that we know about the Nissens, does anyone have feedback on the Behr Hella radiator?

Old 01-24-2016, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by OhWhatNow
Now that we know about the Nissens, does anyone have feedback on the Behr Hella radiator?
Nissens and behr hella are oe manufacturers

Old 01-24-2016, 10:53 PM

I am interested in the Behr Hella's construction in comparison to the one that came with the car. Does it have the seal channels? Amount of cross tubes? Cooling fin configuration? The intent of this post was not to disparage any one company but to note the differences so someone can choose a replacement radiator that fits their comfort level. OE manufactured parts are NOT all created equally.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 AM

HELLA KGaA Hueck & Co.

Product details

Radiator, engine cooling

Article number: 8MK 376 764-041

Images

General

usage number: _BEHR HELLA SERVICE_
EAN: 4045621380359

Criteria

Length [mm]: 665
Width [mm]: 440
Depth [mm]: 26
Vehicle Equipment: for vehicles with air conditioning
Transmission Type: Automatic Transmission
Heating / Cooling: for vehicles with oil cooler
Version: produced by VISTEON

Infos

Service Information

PC

Manufacturer
Model
Year of Construction kW
JAGUAR
XK 8 Convertible (QDV), 03/96 - 07/05
XK 8 Coupe (QEV), 03/96 - 07/05

OE References

ManufacturerReference JAGUAR
MJA4 190AF

Logistics

Packing Unit:1
Article status:Normal
Article status validity date:Nov 18, 2015

Recommend pageclose
Name: Email address: OK Cancel

Old 01-27-2016, 11:27 AM

If you were to take apart the nissens radiator you would find that there are another row of tubes behind the ones in the front you are seeing.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:54 AM

Good catch, you are correct. Here is an end-on view of the Nissens. There are two rows of 25 tubes. I stand corrected.

Attached Thumbnails Radiator choices-imag1209a.jpg  
Old 08-13-2022, 06:02 AM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Sometimes the resurrect is necessary, in this case I’m calling it as this thread went technical and it may help someone in the future.

the 66701 Nissens for an XKR is not suitable. Maybe it is if you don’t monitor your temps with RealTemp or Torque. I went from 181-185(not stock tstat) to 199-216. Flushed it, burped it, screamed at it and threw parts at it. Snap on thermal imager just showing the radiator cooking itself after a Highway run.

mind you this was a 2nd Nissens doing the same thing after the first one had a major core failure after first run.

it’s a nice radiator - they call the 66701 cross compatible between 8 and R - unless my here and there changes to the motor in this car did it, have to call kangaroo court there. If I went to carve some mountains this thing would have roasted.

Screamed to car god, bought my 500th gallon of concentrated coolant and tossed the MJB4190BC back in for testing . Back down to 181-185.

just like the 308’s these x100’s are getting interesting when it comes to a radiator failure. From all the good words it seems like the xk8’s take those Nissens fine, I think I saw maybe one or two posts between a number of searches on here regarding an R Nissens install. Maybe…but no data on if the temps were good or if it was a “temp gauge didn’t spike” type thing.

if I can find a source for an aluminum markup on the BC radiator I’ll relay back

Last edited by p-Rock; 08-13-2022 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:58 AM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Nissen Experience

When the plastic gave out on my OEM radiator I replaced it with a Nissen. One issue I did have was the Nissen lacked any supports for the foam insulators (weather stripping). I called Nissen on the issue and they said as long as the shroud is used the efficency. of the radiator is fine. One concern I have on my 2000 is heat in the engine compartment. I installed the radiator and left off the foam insulation with the hope of getting better air circulaton to the engine compartment. Regarding engine temp the car runs around 200F in the Florida heat.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:29 AM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by David Dougherty
When the plastic gave out on my OEM radiator I replaced it with a Nissen. One issue I did have was the Nissen lacked any supports for the foam insulators (weather stripping). I called Nissen on the issue and they said as long as the shroud is used the efficency. of the radiator is fine. One concern I have on my 2000 is heat in the engine compartment. I installed the radiator and left off the foam insulation with the hope of getting better air circulaton to the engine compartment. Regarding engine temp the car runs around 200F in the Florida heat.
is yours an XK8 or XKR?

I found some stuff I felt pretty good with going in the engine bay, I used it when I put the Nissens in and also checked to see if it would work when I get a more suitable oe equivalent. Fits perfect

Foam Weather Stripping-2 Rolls, 1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M83PYPR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited by p-Rock; 08-14-2022 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Radiator choices