Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:05 AM
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default radio

Hi all;
My radio powers up but no sound. I checked the fuses, radio lights turn on, antennae comes up, all the functions seem to work but no sound or static, nothing. The only clue I had is before the sound died, I got engine rpm related static I assumed was caused by a defective surge suppressor. I replaced same, but by this time, no sound. maybe something internal to the radio caused the static, or it's not related. Any ideas anyone? 98 xk8 conv.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

From what I've seen here this is often a loose connection to the amplifier in the trunk.

If you get a chance, tell us if you have premium sound system (tweeter pods [called "sails" from there shape] in doors forward of windows). I think all our 1998s were Harmon Kardon as opposed to later Alpine systems.

This will help troubleshoot. As I type I recall a gentleman from Europe who may have had same problem. It was a defective ground, look at antenna ground and search for his post/solution.

John

John

Old 09-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

As John says - more info required.

Is it "premium" or "poverty" specification (former has little door tweeters and an amplifier in the boot / trunk. Is it Alpine or Harmon-Karden. The latter (earlier) system has the LCD on the lower right and a sort-of multi-function joystick button for scanning, track changing etc. The Alpine head unit has the LCD in the centre.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Default update

Hi all;
My bad, forgot pertinent fact. System is harmon kardon.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Premium or Standard ? It matters as, with the standard kit, the speakers are connected directly to the head unit. On the premium system, the head unit send a low level audio signal to the amplifier in the boot (trunk) and the speakers are wired from there.
The amplifier shares the same power supply as the antennae, so it is probably getting power, but if it isn't getting any audio signal, then you would get the symptoms you describe.
Do you have the small tweeters on the doors ? That's an easy way to tell which system you have.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:21 PM
Default tweeters

yes, harmon kardon w/ tweeters in doors

Old 09-05-2017, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member

.................. in which case, the first thing I would do is check fuse #9 (10A) in the boot (trunk). It's probably OK but easy to make sure. Then I would check the cables from the back of the head unit to the amplifier in the boot (trunk) at both ends. Both require a certain amount of dismantling - the trunk end is marginally easier so I would start there first. The audio cable is actually visible - it's a standard 8-pin (?) DIN plug/socket and should be at the side of the amplifier. Also check grounds (earths) - there are two black wires which ground the amplifier - presumably to a metal eyelet somewhere near the amplifier - if they have vibrated loose, it might cause your problem.