XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio won't shut off when car is shut off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 04:32 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Radio won't shut off when car is shut off.

Radio won't shut off when car is shut off. This just started yesterday. I have owned the car a month. I should say, I just noticed it yesterday. I disconnected the battery a couple of days ago to do some maintenance. Could that have done something to cause this? Ignition switch? This is the only thing I have noticed out of the ordinary. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance, Mark

Old 05-06-2021, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Hi Mark welcome.

No its not normal. Do you have the premium sound? If so, you will have a tweeter in the triangle area of door window (its called a sail because of its shape). I ask because it'll then have an amplifier which will drain battery fast.

Mark, may I assume the cd works with key out too?

This is a stock radio right?

So, key out engine off, radio plays? Thats a good one. A radio like this will have a battery connection and an ignition connection. Battery is always hot so you don't lose stations and presets. Once the key is turned on ignition feed goes hot, connects battery to the radio circuitry. Turn radio on and it simultaneously sends a 12v signal to amp, antenna and cd changer.

Unless the ignition 12v feed to the radio got connected to battery (another word for an always hot circuit), something super rare happened inside the radio itself.

Let's narrow that down: there certainly are other electronic items on the fuse that feeds the radio 12volts. Are these other items now working with key out of ignition?

Probably no. If not you have to protect the battery from going flat. Disconnect the wires to the radio. Good news, you can reach it from the driver’s side footwell. Look down there. See how the carpet covers everything behind the console? Its just stuffed there. You can easily pull it back to get to the connectors on back of the radio. (Same for passenger side.

I launched a few questions above, let us know. It'll be easier to help then.

The big questions are:
Is everything on the radio circuit hot too?
You have a stock radio right?
Key is out when this happens right?
Does the radio's push on / off button work at all?

John

The following users liked this post:
cgaechief (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Mark, good news bad news. I just checked my year. Radio is alone on a 10amp fuse. If yours is same:
Bad news, you can't look for other items to be working to ID a hot ignition circuit.

Good news: you can pull the fuse instead of fishing around behind the radio.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
CA Jag (05-07-2021), cgaechief (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 07:48 PM

I should have done a better job explaining.

I have attached a quick video demonstrating what it does.

it is a stock radio.
it won’t turn off when the vehicle is turned off.
it stays on even after the key is removed from ignition switch.
the radio can be powered on and off with the radio power button.

The radio had previously worked as it was supposed to. When I turned the ignition off the radio turned off and the antenna lowered.

Since doing work on the car (fwd shocks and shock mounts) and disconnecting the batteries I have had this issue. I think. I had got “CODE” in the radio display when I reconnected the batteries and turned power on. I had to go to the local dealership to get the code.

I actually believe the radio was working properly for a couple of days after that. But not positive.

Last edited by cgaechief; 05-06-2021 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Add Video
Old 05-06-2021, 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=cgaechief;2388328]
I have attached a quick video demonstrating what it does.
/QUOTE]
I don't why the MOV file is uploading, but it basically shows what I have explained.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Hi Mark welcome.

I launched a few questions above, let us know. It'll be easier to help then.

The big questions are:
Is everything on the radio circuit hot too?
You have a stock radio right?
Key is out when this happens right?
Does the radio's push on / off button work at all?

John
Is everything on the radio circuit hot too? Appears to be.
You have a stock radio right? YES
Key is out when this happens right? YES
Does the radio's push on / off button work at all? YES

Thanks for taking an interest and helping John.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default +1 to John. Why not just press OFF button?

John did ask if you have the Premium Sound system Amp. Does this stay on when the radio is off? If so you have a problem. If not, why not just turn the radio off by pushing the off button.

FWIW, I previously had a BMW which had a radio with programmable presets which included the AUTO off function with the car key ignition. But I’m not aware if our Jag’s radio has procedures for this. Maybe when you disconnected the battery and entered the Code, the radio reset this function. Just my .02 cents.

Johnken (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

1. Anyone have a fuse box layout for 2006?
- I asked Mark if other items on the radio fuse were functional with key out, he said yes.
- in between my question and his answer i looked at a 1998 fuse box. Fuse #9 is dedicated to radio only.
This begs the 2 part question: Mark please verify that other normally ignition switched items work with key out & could someone please take a look to see what else is powered by the fuse that powers the radio?

Mark, looks like we are down to two paths:

1. If radio is isolated on the fused circuit = internal radio issue.
2. If 2006's radio power circuit has other items on it, something somewhere is keeping that leg of a normally switched circuit hot!

I'm betting on #1, but with these cars you never know!

Mark, I was about to discuss an alternate theory: if you look inside the ignition key slot, there is a mechanical flap that the key pushes up and out of the way when inserted. That tells the car key in or key out. While I'm absolutely sure key in ignition off = no radio in my car, I'm telling you this for 2 reasons:

1. Check yours. You've got a strange situation and Jaguars do have changes year to year.
2. Its battery related, you're new. Remember this flap thingy, many of us have had the flap stick and run down the battery. File it away.

John

BobRoy (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,290 Likes on 2,818 Posts

Always a good idea to keep that ignition switch metal flap lubed with a small amount of graphite powder. I try to remember to do this at least a couple of times per year. Put some graphite powder on your key, then insert and remove your key a couple of times. Repeat. Remember to wipe your key off so it does not stain your pocket or anything else it comes in contact with....

cgaechief (05-08-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 03:37 PM

1. Anyone have a fuse box layout for 2006?
- I asked Mark if other items on the radio fuse were functional with key out, he said yes.
- in between my question and his answer i looked at a 1998 fuse box. Fuse #9 is dedicated to radio only.
This begs the 2 part question: Mark please verify that other normally ignition switched items work with key out & could someone please take a look to see what else is powered by the fuse that powers the radio?

Mark, looks like we are down to two paths:

1. If radio is isolated on the fused circuit = internal radio issue.
2. If 2006's radio power circuit has other items on it, something somewhere is keeping that leg of a normally switched circuit hot!

I'm betting on #1, but with these cars you never know!

Mark, I was about to discuss an alternate theory: if you look inside the ignition key slot, there is a mechanical flap that the key pushes up and out of the way when inserted. That tells the car key in or key out. While I'm absolutely sure key in ignition off = no radio in my car, I'm telling you this for 2 reasons:

1. Check yours. You've got a strange situation and Jaguars do have changes year to year.
2. Its battery related, you're new. Remember this flap thingy, many of us have had the flap stick and run down the battery. File it away.

John
Well John I am thinking you are right about it being an internal radio issue. I spent an hour out there this afternoon mucking about with it, and no change. The ignition switch appears to be working correctly. I took this picture. You tell me if it looks 'normal.' The steering wheel doesn't move to the stow position until the key is completely removed, and as soon as just the tip of the key is inserted the steering column begins moving out and down.

Old 05-07-2021, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

Mark if the auto tilt works with key out, you are good in that flap department.

Replacement stock radios are inexpensive. When you are ready to remove and replace, say so. There are several pointers we can give you to save time and damage to 15yr old plastic!

John

Old 05-07-2021, 09:24 PM

Mark if the auto tilt works with key out, you are good in that flap department.

Replacement stock radios are inexpensive. When you are ready to remove and replace, say so. There are several pointers we can give you to save time and damage to 15yr old plastic!

John
When it comes to codes for these radios; does the code go with the radio or the vehicle? It makes sense that it would be the radio, but it seems to me I remember a technician telling me it was the vehicle. Replacing the radio is definitely something I am considering. It is a tough choice between upgrading to new technology and keeping it stock. I really want to keep it stock.

Last edited by cgaechief; 05-08-2021 at 10:11 AM.
dfbender (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,504 Posts

The code is with the radio, although the radios in most US spec cars don't require one when the power is interrupted.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:35 PM

I had to go to the local dealership and the technician lead the service advisor through the computer program to the screen that showed the code to everything on my vehicle, which included the radio code. Everything I had been reading told me that North American Jags didn't require or come with radio codes, but according to this 20+ year Jag technician all Jags have a radio code. Sure enough my 3445 code worked. It was on the same screen as the ignition key code. The service advisor printed the screen out for me, and when I got home...no codes. I had to call him up and ask for them again. He stated it must be that Jaguar doesn't allow it to be printed.

Anyway I have seen these radios for sale online and none of the pictures of the radios show any codes on them. That begs the question; how the heck do you know what the code is to operate the radio once you purchase them? I guess that is a question I need to pose to the sellers.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 878 Likes on 428 Posts

I replaced the radio with another stock radio on my 1997 and didn't need any code. It might be different for later years. Got the radio from Jagbits and was happy with all aspects of the transaction.

Last edited by ozbot; 05-08-2021 at 08:25 PM.
cgaechief (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 467 Likes on 336 Posts

On my 2001 with premium sound there are three fuses for the radio - two are permanent 12v and one is a relay switched 12v supply. I would check that relay is functioning and the 12v is in fact being switched on position I of the ignition key. I would also try reseting the radio and re-entering the code by disconnecting the battery.

Wiring diagrams can be found here and tell you everything from fuse ratings and positions to wire colours:-

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following 3 users liked this post by dibbit:
cgaechief (05-09-2021), Dr. D (05-09-2021), Johnken (05-11-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 10:03 AM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by dibbit
On my 2001 with premium sound there are three fuses for the radio - two are permanent 12v and one is a relay switched 12v supply. I would check that relay is functioning and the 12v is in fact being switched on position I of the ignition key. I would also try reseting the radio and re-entering the code by disconnecting the battery.

Wiring diagrams can be found here and tell you everything from fuse ratings and positions to wire colours:-

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
Swapping that relay sounds like a quick and easy way to see if that problem goes away!

cgaechief (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 12:21 PM

I agree. I need to find it first.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:57 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by cgaechief
I agree. I need to find it first.
Mark,
If you still need the location, I now have access to my 2002 Electrical Handbook. It is the only relay in the passenger side fascia (dash cowl) fuse box. To the best of my knowledge, this location is true for all 1997-2006 X100's. If indeed this relay is stuck closed, there may be some other battery drains such as navigation, steering controls, and backup sensors. If your problem persist after removing this relay, a +12v signal has inadvertently found its way into this circuit beyond that relay.

Last edited by Dr. D; 05-10-2021 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling
cgaechief (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. D
Mark,
If you still need the location, I now have access to my 2002 Electrical Handbook. It is the only relay in the passenger side fascia (dash cowl) fuse box. To the best of my knowledge, this location is true for all 1997-2006 X100's. If indeed this relay is stuck closed, there may be some other battery drains such as navigation, steering controls, and backup sensors. If your problem persist after removing this relay, a +12v signal has inadvertently found its way into this circuit beyond that relay.
This is interesting. I'm too whooped to look at it tonight. But...

I did not know it was located there. I went out Saturday afternoon and played around with my multimeter and checked other systems for power. I could not find anything. I finally gave up and called it a night. Sunday morning I went out and the car was dead. I mean dead...DEAD! Not even a chirp. I hooked up the battery charger and it took a charge, and a couple of hours later I went out and she fired right up. I disconnected the charger. Checked to make sure I hadn't left the radio on or anything else. I hadn't. I left for the day in another vehicle. I still had the same radio issue.

Yesterday I went out there and she fired right up. I didn't go anywhere. I just wanted to make sure the car would start and the battery was still charged. This morning I went there to take it to go bowling and dead as a doornail! Grabbed my other vehicle and went bowling. Picked up a new battery on my way home and replaced it,.Left the old one in the trunk and took it back to the store to retrieve my core charge.

Guess what? When I got there and turned off the car I went to turn off the radio, and it had already powered off. WHAT? I turned the ignition back on and the radio came back on. Turned the ignition off, the radio went off. Seriously? I have read that low power batteries cause lots of funky issues, but this just doesn't make sense. Besides, if it has enough juice to turn over the engine, it should have enough juice to control the radio. SO...is it fixed or did the new battery temporarily fix it and something is still draining it in the background and it will get there again. There was no service date on the old battery, and it was a sealed battery so I couldn't stick a hydrometer in it.

Sorry, I can't tell a short story...

DavidYau (05-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Radio won't shut off when car is shut off.